PDA

View Full Version : Effexor withdrawl is killing me!!

ConfusedByLife
24-02-07, 20:44
OK, so ive been trying to come off effexor (for the 4th time) each time i do it gets harder and harder. I dont know if i'll be able to come off it now the side effects are so bad, even tapering it off it agony. I feel like i wana throw up, exhausted from doing nothing, shaking uncontrollably, head feeling it is gona explode etc etc. I have never feel so bad as i do these days. I dont even wana do anything but curl up and die! surely these drugs companies should be held accountable for this, the side effects are far worse than they ever said and the doctor doesnt even understand anything about the withdrawl symptoms yet he hands them out like sweets! anyone any similar experiences?:(

bearcrazy
24-02-07, 21:12
Hi confused by life,

I am in total agreemnet with you about doctors not being able to deal with the effects of the drugs that they dish out. I am trying to taper off of Temazepam at the moment and have had some serious side effects, nausea, anxiety, PA's, twitching and depersonalisation. I have had a lot of advice from a website called 'BenzoIsland' and went armed with their advice to my GP who is using it to make the taper more comfortable! They also advise on the tapering of antidepressants, my next task. They are well worth a visit and are very helpful. It wont take long to have a look. Try it!

Take Care xxxxxxxxxx

jo61
24-02-07, 22:17
Hi, I'm also coming off Effexor at the moment. Got from 150mg to 75 mg before Christmas and am now going further. I was really worried until I went on hols and forgot to take it on two separate days and never noticed. Now I really think I can do it . I think a lot of it is about confidence. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Meg
25-02-07, 00:31
The key is to come off very, very, very slowly and allow your body to get really comfortable with each tiny reduction before even thinking about another one.

It is really difficult for some people but do perservere if it is your wish to be off them. Good luck .

Gabby
28-02-07, 16:41
HI

I'm also coming off Effexor and getting withdrawals although not as bad as your seem.

I feel very dizzy and nauseous and my anxiety levels are very high. Its really really hard work but I keep telling myself that this is just the medication leaving my body and once it calms down I will feel much better. Its supposed to take about 2 weeks for the initial side effects to subside. I'm into week 2 now and although the symptoms seems to be changing, overall it does feel better.

I read an article saying that so many people dont come off the pills cos they cant endure the side effects and so go back onto the pills so they dont feel so bad but that in realiltym you have to go through that phase in order to come out better on the other side

Hang in there. Other people have managed it so I'm sure we can too.

NicolaCurrie
28-02-07, 17:10
Hey guys hang in there - it is really tough coming off medication but you CAN do it if it is what you want. It took me a year and a half to come off seroxat. I weaned myself down very slowly but the last part was the hardest - i ended up going cold turkey at the end and it still took two weeks to get through it. Every day did get easier. The symptoms you experience is not your illness coming back it is drug withdrawal. I also took citalopram for two weeks - couldnt tolerate the effects going on it so gave up after two weeks - it took another two weeks to get the drugs out my system. I have now been drug free for a year and have found other ways to get through the anxiety. It is not easy but at least I am not having to deal with the symptoms of the drugs. Hang in there - you can do it!! Best wishes Nicola.x

ConfusedByLife
04-03-07, 22:16
Thanks alot for the replys. Sorry for the delay but I had password problems. I understand this is something I have to go through and am alot better than i was when i posted this. My big bug bear is the lack of information from the drugs companies and complete ignorance of the doctors who prescribe (he was actually surprised I had side effects coming off these even tho he told me he precribes them to alot of ppl). they seem to either be very illinformed about the very serious side effects of the drugs or are trying to cover it up for whatever reason. I have been so low lately coming off them. My doctor couldnt care less and if i was in any way more depressed or vulnerable I have been so low I think i could have killed myself. Im sure im through the worst and the worst was very bad. Good luck the rest of u in your withdrawals.

mjh74
18-06-07, 12:21
I came off these VERY slowly too. I was using a nail file to shave bits off the tablet each week. I only had slight nausea (like travel sickness) and dizzyness for about a week after fully withdrawing.

jo61
18-06-07, 12:30
I had to halt the withdrawal and go back to 37.5 mg every second day. I was really disappointed but hey ho, i'll get off them eventually. I reckon my dependence on them is psychological. I'm so scared of getting ill again.