PDA

View Full Version : Hello

bob90210
14-01-16, 19:06
So I have been suffering with depression, anxiety and OCD for more than 15 years now, it used to be the depression that was the worst but that seems to have subsided and now it it very much anxiety that is causing me the most worry.

I have always had a way over the top fear of public speaking and I regularly get put in positions at work where I am supposed to do things that I just cannot do.

I had what I realise now was a panic attack whilst driving on a motorway. I had a quite rapid sense of fear and a desperation to pull the car over and get out, except I couldn't. Eventually I pulled over and I didn't feel ready to drive for at least 3 hours later. Since that moment I have since had panic attacks in meetings at work, in the cinema, on the underground and at a conference. I think the only thing I can link to all the places they have happened are that they are not really places I can easily get away from so maybe I'm feeling trapped?

I took citalopram for about 12 years and venlafaxin for about 3 years. Last January was when I decided I really wanted to stop taking medication and whilst it was a struggle I did eventually manage it. It's been a whole year since stopping medication and I can honestly say my depression (which I initially went to the doctors for all those years ago) has not been back in all that time, but my anxiety, OCD and panic attacks seem to be getting worse and worse.

I have consulted my GP and been put on a waiting list for CBT. I have done this before and it helped a little bit.

I feel like the panic attacks are getting worse and worse and becoming more frequent and definitely disrupting my life and I keep having to walk out of meetings etc at work.
So I am debating whether or not to ask to go back on medication. Does anyone know if the GP will just offer me the citalopram or venlafaxin or is there something more specific to panic attacks that I might be able to take?
Also I am doing my own CBT course online but I would welcome any other advice for how to help get out of this mess.

Thanks
David

venusbluejeans
14-01-16, 19:11
Hiya bob90210 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

uru
14-01-16, 20:04
Welcome!!!