PDA

View Full Version : Were you helped by therapy?

uru
14-01-16, 19:59
If so, how did you actually get better?

Was it just the talking?
Was it some revelation about yourself?
Was it some techniques you got taught?

Blinkyrocket
14-01-16, 20:53
I'm just now starting talking to a counselor/therapist who will talk to me about cognitive/behavioral therapy. It's helped to talk but not just to talk about myself but also to watch the therapists reactions ("he didn't look too perplexed when I told him about my problem that I thought was too weird, it must not be as bad as I thought") to what you say. Basically, it's helpful to give the burden of some of your anxiety onto someone else.

uru
14-01-16, 22:30
A problem shared....

Blinkyrocket
15-01-16, 00:21
Precisely

Phill2
15-01-16, 01:18
Someone to talk to yes.
Actual help no.

MissyMischief
15-01-16, 01:23
Getting shit of my chest and not feeling judged. Yes! BIG help.

Some coping techniques, Yes. We've been working through a CBT workbook together. It really just comes down to actually practicing the techniques the counselor offers you. Just going to the sessions but not doing the work isn't enough.

Revelations? Yes. I think it normalizes a lot of what you are going through. You don't feel as crazy. It's just nice to speak of your fears and not feel judged, and be reassured that other people have the same problems etc...

uru
15-01-16, 08:16
So for most people it's jus the talking....

KeeKee
01-02-16, 20:41
I enjoyed talking to someone and I liked the feeling that I was trying to get myself better.
I don't feel like it worked for me though, I feel like if things Don't improve within their timescales that you are blamed for not trying.
On my referral to another therapy by therapist even wrote that I wasn't willing to try things and that simply was not true. Some of the suggestions were just silly and I often questioned whether he was a genuine therapist or a 'volunteer'.

Annie0904
01-02-16, 20:45
I think it is finding the therapy that suits you best. I found the interpersonal therapy worked best for me. I have had CBT, Intense Psychotherapy and IPT and the IPT helped the most. It does take a lot of work and determination on your part too though.

Carnation
01-02-16, 20:46
I think it depends on the Therapist and Therapy and timescale.

The talking and listening is the main factor, but some of the techniques help and it can also build your confidence and give you a feeling of extra support.

Phuzella
01-02-16, 20:49
Nope

AdamE
01-02-16, 21:12
I think I was helped with a combination of therapy and an SSRI. The SSRI made me think more rationally for once and was able to dig deep into my issue. Granted with my anxiety I'm not completely sure what caused it but it was definitely something in the past (like 13 years ago). Even though I didn't know the root cause I was able to convince myself that whatever happened in the past I can't change; nor do I care to change it if I could. I need to move on. My therapist helped me dig deep into that timeline. Ever since then I have been nausea free now for 2 weeks. I've lived with nausea every day for 13 years. It's so weird not having it when I eat near people.

uru
10-02-16, 09:28
I think I was helped with a combination of therapy and an SSRI. The SSRI made me think more rationally for once and was able to dig deep into my issue. Granted with my anxiety I'm not completely sure what caused it but it was definitely something in the past (like 13 years ago). Even though I didn't know the root cause I was able to convince myself that whatever happened in the past I can't change; nor do I care to change it if I could. I need to move on. My therapist helped me dig deep into that timeline. Ever since then I have been nausea free now for 2 weeks. I've lived with nausea every day for 13 years. It's so weird not having it when I eat near people.

So are you 'better' now?

Fishmanpa
10-02-16, 13:13
I can say with all certainty YES! One on one therapy along with meds helped me out of depression in 2007 after my 1st heart attack. One on one therapy along with an online CBT workshop helped me out of depression and taught me to manage some "scanxiety" after my 2nd heart attack and cancer in 2013.

It take a concerted effort and positive attitude as well as a real desire to get well but it works.

Positive thoughts

Peaceful123
18-02-16, 13:33
thank you all for this useful information. honestly, i never knew about the fact that there even exists therapy. i guess i should be reading and informing myself more about this. Urusainaa, great post, great questions!