PDA

View Full Version : Scared of Antibiotic resistance

Njoy704
15-01-16, 21:49
So I was prescribed amoxicillin clavulanate 2 months ago for bronchitis and sinus infection. After the course of antibiotics I started getting am earache. Went to the doctor twice and he kept saying he couldn't see any infection. No fluid, no redness, no bulging. Now my earache had turned into some sinus pressure and heavy chest like I have asthma without wheezing. Prescribed a course of antibiotics again. Is this too close of a period to get on antibiotics again? It's only been 2 months since I took amoxicillin. And before that I was on amoxicilin 10 months before that. So that would be 3 courses of amoxicillin in a 1 year period. Scared I'll get antibiotic resistant.

Note: my dad also came down with bronchitis 2 months the ago. He only took the amoxicillin for half its course! Now I'm scared he passed on a antibiotic resistant strain to me! Uuuugh.

MyNameIsTerry
15-01-16, 22:56
Doctors prescribe multiple courses where the first hasn't completed the job. It's common.

Antibiotic resistance is tackled by major health intuitives and has been for many years now. For instance, by WHO. Because of this, doctors are now more careful in only prescribing them when needed unlike years ago when they constantly dished them out. They have been told how & why.

You will be fine.

Njoy704
15-01-16, 23:30
Doctors prescribe multiple courses where the first hasn't completed the job. It's common.

Antibiotic resistance is tackled by major health intuitives and has been for many years now. For instance, by WHO. Because of this, doctors are now more careful in only prescribing them when needed unlike years ago when they constantly dished them out. They have been told how & why.

You will be fine.

So the doctor shouldve prescribed sonething else other than amoxicilin again?

Fishmanpa
16-01-16, 00:31
So the doctor shouldve prescribed sonething else other than amoxicilin again?

No, not necessarily. Besides, no one is qualified to make that assessment. I know I've done multiple courses of antibiotics many times in my life. All it means is that it didn't get all of the crud the first time around. Just take the meds as directed and I'm quite sure you'll be fine.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-16, 04:55
No, multiple courses of the same antibiotic. Sometimes you need a longer course but they have given you a shorter course.

When I had an infected wisdom tooth my dentist gave me a 5 day course of yours. It seemed to work but within days of finishing the course, the pain came back. I saw my GP as I was due a check up and he gave me the same one for 7 days. That did the trick.

If that doesn't work, they may try something else but that's for the doctor to decide.

---------- Post added at 04:55 ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 ----------

Besides, no one is qualified to make that assessment.

Don't worry FMP, no one did. :yesyes: