PDA

View Full Version : experiences of citrapram

Beckie4567
15-01-16, 22:40
Hi I've been described this by the doc 10mg and have read bad side effects of them.if anyone wud like to share there stories of it id be very grateful thankyou ��

Hopefulmi
15-01-16, 22:42
The first 2 weeks are really hard but it does get much better. I was SO anxious and had insomnia, headaches etc but it wore off quickly. Just started on sertraline 2 weeks ago and was fairly similar but kicking in now. It's worth persevering xx

Beckie4567
15-01-16, 22:51
Thanks hun how come u changed then was citrapram not working for u x

Hopefulmi
15-01-16, 22:55
I came off when I got pregnant. I've been on and off that one and it was great but when I came off earlier this year, I ended up having to end that pregnancy due to a genetic disorder my hubby and I carry. Got pregnant again and have been bad and while no drugs can really be tested in pregnancy ethically, sertraline is believed to be v. V. Safe and slightly more so than citalopram is all. They are very similar though x

Beckie4567
15-01-16, 23:37
Ok thankyou reluctant to give it ago but guess I gota try it x

venusbluejeans
15-01-16, 23:52
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Beckie4567
16-01-16, 22:55

Beckie4567
17-01-16, 13:21
Anyone else

bangwhosnext
19-01-16, 22:29
Citalopram has been the best drug for anxiety that I have tried to date and has all but completely cured me...

Although there are some things to consider...

1. I gained 3 stone of weight in the first year of using it (all the weight comes back off when you stop them though).

2. The induction period (1st 3/4 weeks) can be rough. I felt worse rather than better for the first few weeks but if you hang in they really start working (I would advise taking time off work during this period because you will probably need to spend most of your time at home to avoid any added stress).

3. Start slowly (i.e. 10mg) and work your way up to your personal therapeutic dose. Each time you increase the dose, you will notice you start to feel a little worse (this is like the induction phase but not as bad) as your brain chemistry adjusts to the new dose.

4. The max recommended dose is now 40mg (previously was 60mg) but it may not be enough to completely eradicate your anxiety.

5. Be careful coming off them... you need to taper off very slowly (slower than you started) and there is a danger of your anxiety returning once you stop taking them.

For me it has been the best anxiety drug to date and I've tried many (Buspar, Effexor, cipralex, Prozac, Seroxat, Propranolol and all the benzos).

If you (or anyone else) has any more questions about this drug, please don't hesitate to ask.

MyNameIsTerry
20-01-16, 04:52
4. The max recommended dose is now 40mg (previously was 60mg) but it may not be enough to completely eradicate your anxiety. (I am taking almost double the recommended max dose, but my doctor made me sign a disclaimer to say that it was against his advice).

:roflmao:I would love to see your doctor's "disclaimer" stand up in a court. The max dose was reduced due to safety by the government. That and the fact 60mg barely does anything more than 40mg yet increasing the risk of the Long QT Syndrome issue by a large percentage. It's been pulled down to 40mg (and 20mg for the elderly) all over the world for the same reasons!

As a patient you have the right to choose to ignore your doctor's advice, subject to mental health legislation, BUT your doctor can't waive his medical licence on this basis when he is signing your prescriptions continuously AND using a med outside of it's granted licence (known as "off labelling") which makes a doctor even more legally responsible. :doh: He is ignoring the risks every time he dishes that repeat prescription out and he thinks a dubious disclaimer will protect should anything happen to you. Somehow I doubt the coroner would agree with that.

A good example of an unscrupulous doctor who puts his own needs before the safety of his patient. I bet the Benzo addicts love him 'just sign here and I'll give you a years supply' :whistles:

Beckie4567
20-01-16, 22:45
Thankyou bandwhosnext for you post was very helpful I have them in my cupboard but still gearing up to using them.due to side effects I worried what side effects did u have may I ask x

bangwhosnext
20-01-16, 23:16
Thankyou bandwhosnext for you post was very helpful I have them in my cupboard but still gearing up to using them.due to side effects I worried what side effects did u have may I ask x

Hi Beckie,

As I said in my previous post, these pills take around 3-4 weeks to work properly, and in those first few weeks you may actually feel worse than you do now due to your brain chemistry getting acclimated to this drug. For this reason, I recommend you prepare to stay indoors for a few weeks until that period is over. For me, they were an absolute life-saver. All the worries and stresses I had, just vanished and my confidence around other people grew immensely (I actually became a little over-confident).

The main side-effects to watch out for after the first 3-4 weeks are: weight-gain, lethargy, tiredness and dry-mouth.

The side-effects may put some people off, but personally, my mental health was more important to me than anything else. I had been stressed-out, nervous, paranoid, depressed and painfully self-conscious for about 12 years before taking Citalapram and was completely worn-out by it all. I saw no light at the end of the tunnel, but when Citalapram started working for me, the quality of my life increased tenfold and I started to enjoy socializing again (without the need for alcohol).

For me, the benefits out-weighed the side-effects and I would highly recommend them to anyone suffering from the same symptoms I was.

If you or anyone else has any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.:)

MyNameIsTerry
20-01-16, 23:38
My doctor is very good and is one of the only doctors I've been to who will actually listen to his patients needs.

He has been trying to convince me for a long time to reduce the dose and to try something else, but I am adamant and always remind him of my suicidal tenancies.

It was my idea for a disclaimer as I knew that I was putting his career in jeopardy by asking him to prescribe above recommended dose.

Terry, these forums are intended for people to help one another with their problems, not to incite arguments with disrespectful posts. There are plenty of other forums on the internet for that...

I'm quite aware of what this forum is for. It's aimed at your doctor for not following what he has been told to on the basis of safety. There are plenty of doctors around who misuse meds, Benzos are a good example with some people becoming dependent due to GP mishandling.

A patient disclaimer won't override his medical licence. He's obviously just buying time to get you to reduce but really be should be doing what he had been told to to decrease the risks.

So, unscrupulous is perhaps the wrong word. I thought he had drafted the disclaimer in which case I would regard this treatment this way. I don't know why he didn't just keep going with the intention of reducing it? It's obviously going to be a worry on many fronts for you but they've had to do it for every patient so unless the disclaimer specifically mentions your intention to reduce over time, which is still probably not a protection for him, then be had better make sure he is keep keeping a close eye, has good notes and I hope he is monitoring your for the possible dangers.

I realise it's hard for you, I'm sorry if my post came across as confrontational, its aimed at the issue of doctors. I agree with everything else you say, I just don't like how doctors treat patients as ignorant (I'm not implying thatin yourcase) which is something seen on the forum. Pregabalin is a good med to see doctor blags.

Beckie4567
22-01-16, 11:21
Well thankyou both for your responses x

Elen
22-01-16, 13:28
The problem with reading the side effects in great detail is that they have to list all side effects that have been reported to them.

Many people experience one or two of them, but definitely not the entire range.

Give them a go and see how you get on. You never know you might not suffer from any.

Good luck

Magic
22-01-16, 15:42
I agree with what Elen says. With antidepressants they have to get into system before they start to make you feel better.

MyNameIsTerry
24-01-16, 07:51
Sorry Beckie, I didn't contribute to your needs there.

I went on Citalopram the first time and it did help me a lot. It was tough the first week but by week 3 the side effects were decreases and by week 5 they had gone. I didn't notice much improvement until 2-3 months and then things did get a fair bit better which allowed me to push forward myself.

Give them a go. Don't be put off by the leaflet, they have to show all that and the reality is the most common side effects are usually on a few at most from what I've seen.

KeeKee
24-01-16, 09:27
I took Citalopram for a short period (5 months) and I experienced derealisation or depersonalisation. I'm not sure which but I didn't feel real I can't explain it but it had me crying every night so I switched to Paroxetine. (my friend was given citalopram the same year and never experienced this side effect).
The main side effect I got from the 3 ssris I tried was weight gain and it was massive and like an earlier reply it does come off once you've finished but takes a very long time. I gained around 32 lbs on antidepressants this increased with every switch and I'm now 21 months out and have lost 20lb (no dieting or exercise though had I done that it may have been quicker).
I think it's tricky with antidepressants as they can be a godsend but they can also be the opposite (I have a 'theory' that I developed anxiety due to reinstating Prozac which I've since read you shouldn't do after you've been off for more than a few weeks)
Sorry to ramble on I've just had a difficult experience with ssris and don't think they should be taken lightly.

Beckie4567
04-02-16, 22:17
I havnt plucked up the courage to take these yet �� I just feel once I start them I cant just suddenly take them I have to be weaned off just don't no what to do

Jem21
04-02-16, 22:39
You may get none at all... The main ones for me were increased anxiety for a few days then I had nausea and tiredness for a while but they all wore off by the end of week 2, then wek 3 I started seeing an improvement. I've just upped my dose and seem to have the side effects back but not as bad. If you are prepared to go through it for a few weeks then it will be worth it and there are loads of people on here who will help you through and support you.

bangwhosnext
04-02-16, 22:43
I havnt plucked up the courage to take these yet �� I just feel once I start them I cant just suddenly take them I have to be weaned off just don't no what to do

I know where you're coming from, it's not a nice feeling having to depend on a pill, one that you have to take around the same time every day, and once it's in your system you have to be slowly weaned off... but it depends how bad your anxiety/depression is.

For me, it turned my life around and was absolutely worth it, no regrets. I'm sure many others will tell you the same and anyone who is on anti-depressants is in the same situation, so we are talking millions of people who go through this.

Ultimately, it is your choice; weigh up the advantages and disadvantages then make your decision. You are lucky that you have all the information up-front and know what to expect... many people (including me) were just given the pills and told to take one a day without knowing what to expect, how they would feel, or that they would take weeks to work and there would be withdrawals.

MyNameIsTerry
05-02-16, 04:36

Yes, you can Beckie. It's only once you have been on them a certain amount of time that you have to taper. If you start them and very quickly can't take the side effects, you can stop them. So, if the thought of the experience is what is stopping you, there are options that. And besides, there are cross tapering switching options to other meds.

Rpsych state this:

DURING
•Reduce slowly
•Research suggests:
•if treatment has lasted less than 8 weeks, stopping over 1-2 weeks should be OK
•after 6-8 months treatment, taper off over 6-8 weeks
•if you have been on maintenance treatment, taper more gradually: e.g. reduce the dose by not more than ¼ every 4-6 weeks.

So, even if you go 2 months you can get off them pretty quickly. But being on them a week or so usually means stopping completely.

Beckie4567
05-02-16, 11:52
I just don't see how they make u feel better I've obv got health anxiety and don't see how they miraculously make me not worry .im negative about the fact om guna feel better

Jem21
05-02-16, 12:15
I didn't believe they would work either... But you won't know unless you try! They make you more positive so you are able to see things from a better perspective and you can see that your worry is not warranted. They can also take away the feelings of worry.

Beckie4567
05-02-16, 22:12
I really wana take them its just taking that first step that's the hardest ��

uru
08-02-16, 15:49
give them a try...what do you have to lose?

Xtrastrongbint
08-02-16, 19:56
I agree with Urusainaa - I started on Peroxetine 18 years ago, right in the middle of everyone jumping up and down about how terrible they were. I was in a right state, panic attacks, intrusive thoughts, agrophobia - bloody awful....3 weeks in and I started feeling much like my old self...Within 8 weeks I was over the moon and got my life back! You have nothing to lose :hugs:

Beckie4567
08-02-16, 22:46
I no thankyou I will try them

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Ok I forgot is it best to take at night or morning

MyNameIsTerry
09-02-16, 05:08
That's a tricky one to advise on, Beckie. You will have to see how they affect you. Some people find they get insomnia if they take them at night and by taking them in the morning they avoid this but for some who get the insomnia, that doesn't work.

I used to take mine at teatime. However, the insomnia did hit me but back then I wasn't on here so didn't try moving my dose and my GP had no clue about meds...and still doesn't.

Good luck. I hope they help you and it is good to see you thinking a bit more about moving forward than your symptoms.

SSRI's just help you waste less Serotonin. This neurotransmitter is one that helps with lots of things like concentration & short term memory, learning, mood, etc. (that's just in the brain, they won't work with it in the body).

I think it's been mentioned already but just in case, take with food. Citalopram can cause nausea at the start and it's well known it interacts with a specific Serotonin gut receptor that causes this and eating with it cuts it down.

Beckie4567
09-02-16, 10:56
I'm wandering if I take one today if ill be ok for next weekend for my weekend away ? What do u think those that have tryed it please ? X

Jem21
09-02-16, 12:22
That's really hard to advise as it can take different times for different people. It's always around the 2 week mark that the side effects start to subside and around the 3-4 week mark that I start to feel like myself again, but some people don't get hardly any side effects and it could be quicker. 10mg is a low starting dose so you may be fine. The quicker you start taking them the sooner they will get to work.

bangwhosnext
09-02-16, 16:48
I'm wandering if I take one today if ill be ok for next weekend for my weekend away ? What do u think those that have tryed it please ? X

I wouldn't recommend it. If you are going to take it, you'll need 3-4 weeks free in your calendar with no commitments to allow it to start working.

As said before, when starting most ADs, you feel worse b4 you feel better.

Beckie4567
09-02-16, 18:31
Ok thankyou ill wait till after my weekend away

Elen
09-02-16, 18:53
10 mg is a low dose and you never know you might not get side effects at all.

I started at a higher dose and found the start up effects very manageable.

Like Terry said take with food, I was advised to take them in the morning and that fits in with my lifestyle but it is up to you to find out what works best.

Beckie4567
09-02-16, 19:43
Thanks for the advice ��

Sharonf
10-02-16, 09:47
Hi can anyone help I've been on citraolpram for 2 years on 20mg, nearly 5 weeks ago I upped them to 30mg I've had 10 good days, then my period started and I've gone downhill, feeling anxious, no appetite at all, how long for the full effects please

Jem21
10-02-16, 12:04
Hi Sharon, they say 6-8 weeks for the full effect. I would imagine the tablets are still finding a balance in your system, if it's it's that time of the month your hormones might be playing around with it a bit. I'm 2 weeks into an increase to 30mg I was on 20 for about 10 months first. Yesterday was the first ok kind of day I've had and today not so bad but I imagine there will be ups and downs till we get there. Why don't you give it till the 2 month mark and go back and see your doc. There is always the option of 40mg. If you've had 10 good days they are defo doing something is how I would see it x

Beckie4567
10-02-16, 22:00
I'm gearing up to take them 10mg

Fishmanpa
11-02-16, 00:07
I'm gearing up to take them 10mg

Please start taking them... NOW! TONIGHT!... For God's sake, your sake and the sake of your children... please!

Positive thoughts

Beckie4567
11-02-16, 09:43
I'm going to after my weekend away and my kids are fine

KeeKee
11-02-16, 13:20
Have you ever taken any meds before?
Start up side effects are apparently very common but I must say, I never got any with Prozac, Citalopram or Paroxetine so it's possible you may have zero side effects whatsoever. I did get long term side effects (namely weight gain) but that's not something you need to worry about.
Do you live alone? (I know you have children I mean as an only adult).