PDA

View Full Version : wrong diagnosis?

K90
16-01-16, 05:17
Hey everyone.

I don't know if this is in the right spot or not..
So, I had my first appointment with a psychiatrist a few days ago. He said that he believed I had anxiety so he was going to fill out a form for my university to get me a few special accommodations.
Yesterday, I wrote him a letter about some things that I was way too embarrassed to talk face to face about and dropped it off with the form today. They called a few hours later and said that the form was ready to be picked up. When I read it, I learned that my diagnosis is severe OCD. Given my narcolepsy fears and such, I would have thought that it would have been pure anxiety that was the diagnosis. In the letter, I did outline some OCD tendencies that I have had but I still thought anxiety would be the clear diagnosis. I know that he read the letter because when I had the appointment, I didn't tell him much and he was on the fence about me having OCD.
Anyway, the letter was pretty detailed about the really difficult time that I am having, and he must know that because on the form he wrote, "hopefully she will being meds ASAP".
I have another appointment next week and I am SO nervous about what he is going to want to talk about, because I know the letter will probably come up. Any advice? I am so terrible at talking about my feelings.
Thanks, everyone!

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-16, 05:24
Do you mean you were expecting a GAD diagnosis then?

I don't think you should worry about the difference between the two, I have both and they are equally challenging. If anything, I would rather OCD over my GAD, but my GAD is the stronger of the two so that's an obvious choice for me!

Is there something specific about OCD that worries you about the diagnosis?

Talking about things can be difficult and the situation can be intimidating at first. I used to forget things too. Writing things down that you want to say and/or ask is a good way because with even some bullet points you can keep it to hand and read it off or even hand it over if you can't talk about it.

K90
17-01-16, 02:22
Thanks for the reply, Terry!!
I think I was expecting some kind of anxiety diagnosis. Or maybe the narcolepsy fears that I am having coincide with OCD? I don't know, I am just really confused about it. I know what you're saying about them being equally challenging and I agree that they would be but I think my generalized anxiety is worse and harder to deal with than the OCD.
It's not so much that I am worried about the OCD diagnosis, I just don't know if that explains my other anxieties as well.
Talking about personal/mental things is extremely difficult for me, and that's why I wrote the letter. Now I am scared to go to my next appointment because I know that that is the first thing he will bring up and I am so humiliated by what I told him.
Thanks again for the great reply :)

lindadiana
17-01-16, 04:03
to be honest ocd can cover thoughts too,its not just doing repetitive cleaning or counting things etc,people obsess about their health and that can be seen as a compulsive disorder just the same.so I wouldn't worry at all

MyNameIsTerry
17-01-16, 07:23
Are you very familiar with OCD? It's quite diverse and there are forms that can be highly embarrassing or humiliating to the sufferer. Your psychiatrist will be familiar with them and will not judge you for any reason, they see these things all the time.

The first thing then is for him to explain how your anxieties fit your diagnosis and why. It may be because he has seen things that you have not worked out or because of his advanced knowledge of the disorders.

Honestly, don't allow your anxiety to make you feel humiliated. It's very powerful to us and can upset us deeply but it can't make you do things that you disagree with. If you have intrusive thoughts, there are others on the OCD board discussing them so don't be afraid to join in. I got rid of mine, which were mostly about harming others (loved ones & strangers) and there are many people who have that or other disturbing forms like paedophilia. They all go through these stages of feeling disgust, humiliation, etc and it's noted as being a reason for few approaching medical professionals.