PDA

View Full Version : Sleep issues again but pushing through it!

Crystalhiggs
16-01-16, 09:08
Hi, oh well have had a tough few nights with not much sleep, I'm so tired and can't wait to get into bed at night, drift off a bit and then become alert. Then seem to be awake for ages before I fall asleep. Only had 3-4 hours a night the last 4 nights! Was sleeping brilliantly for weeks and months before this new blip! This is a different experience to my insomnia last year where I would often be awake all night but usually slept well the next night or if not, the night after.
I'm trying to just carry on as normal. Last night I was tired but pushed myself to go out in London as we had tickets to see Billy Connolly. Actually had a fantastic night and was so glad I didn't give into the tiredness and anxiety it was creating.
Was sure I'd sleep well last night but no, another 4 hour job!

Hey ho, going to take my own advice and try not to worry about it as that's what helped last time. Will go out for a long walk today and hopefully tonight will be the night!!!

gregcool
16-01-16, 09:20
Hi Crystal...havnt seen you on hear for a while.i guess thats because you have been doing ok..sorry to see you are having your sleep problems yet again..but as you say,its prob just a blip that will pass,esp if your sleep has been good uptill now..try not to get to stresed about it and take that worry to bed with you...just remember you have done so well uptill now...hope your sleep corrects its self soon..x

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-16, 09:34
Has the Big Yin got another tour on the go then? I've never seen him but I know people who have and they said they were great shows.

I really enjoyed his Route 66 on the Trike (that was very cool!).

I'm sorry you are having a rough patch, Crystal. When I first had my insomnia issues they were all about falling asleep but years later when I relapsed it was all about waking up too early and the anxiety taking over. This later bout was because I would wake up an hour or so before I was due to on my work days and I wasn't really getting much anyway as I stayed up late otherwise I felt like I lived to work 5 days a week.

Are you finding yourself anxious when you wake? Try not to clock watch, I did that and it only made me feel worse.

It could just be a temporary patch. Mine went on for 8 days and it was the straw for me because I had been spiralling for months. That's not the case for you so there is every possibility it will pass.

Are you under any pressure at the moment? Especially reasons to get up & on with the day?

If you have a lot on your mind, writing them down before bed can help. I did some of that and found it a little helpful.

Crystalhiggs
16-01-16, 09:50
Thanks guys I have to say it's a bit of a blow when you think you've cracked it and then it comes back, but as I say not like last time, I can at least function on 4 hours and just have to wait for it to pass. Maybe I'm just not doing enough as I'm feeling restless in bed so prob need to use my muscles a bit more during the day. I'd go for a cycle but it's so flipping cold and quite icy outside.

Yes Terry BC is doing a few dates at Hammersmith Appollo. He's not a well man so his shows aren't as lively as they once were but he's still hilarious and I laughed more than I have in ages!

I don't clock watch at night as tempting as it is! So I'm only rough-guessing how much sleep I've had and not under any pressure really. Perhaps it's just this time of year, all fairly quiet plus I was ill over Christmas and was sleeping round the clock so maybe my mind is just saying ok enough of that, now go and live!!? Who knows?! Will keep you posted!!x

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-16, 11:18
He must be getting on a bit now.

Yeah, I know how crushing it all is when symptoms return or patterns seem to go backwards. We've just got to continue hardening ourselves to the knocks until they breeze by (which can't come too soon!)

You know your body will make you sleep and you know you are capable of it. Like you say, it's not like before when it was no sleep, but this brings back bad memories so jjust keep going.

If you've been sleeping a lot, perhaps it has just disturbed your rhythm a bit and it will re-adjust itself in a day or two. I find that sometimes when I've been getting a bit too much sleep.

Crystalhiggs
16-01-16, 13:30
Yes maybe Terry, I'm feeling much better in my spirits and wanting to do a lot more so maybe it's that adrenaline keeping me awake. Trying to keep busy and active so it doesn't consume me like it did before.

Hope you are both okay?

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-16, 14:28
Yes thanks, Crystal. The usual blips and fatigue keep rearing their heads. I had a better Xmas than last year though and Xmas was very good so there area always some positives.

Winter will soon be over and you can get your bike out again. Some of the pavements and roads area covered in black ice but thankfully winter is short these days. I walk through it all bit I had to turn back last night as the ice was really bad in the early hours.

Crystalhiggs
16-01-16, 16:06
Yes important to focus on the positives! it's really cold! We have snow forecast tonight, quite exciting really, better than all that rain! I have daffodils growing already in my garden! Hey ho yes spring is not far away!!

Chocolateface
16-01-16, 17:34
Hi

Sleep patterns are usually that you fall deep asleep for the first 3-4 hours then have a period of lighter sleep, then a deep sleep again, hence why it can seem that you spend all night tossing and turning then just get to sleep when it is time to get up.

I have found recently with the latest round of anxiety that I wake early for what seems like hours, I did look at the clock once and found it was only about 45 mins before the alarm was due to go off anyway.

Can you do any exercise in the house to burn off any excess energy before sleep or go for a walk earlier in the day? I find my sleep is a lot better if I can get outside in the day. Also if I wake in the night I now read a chapter or two of my book and that usually send me back of to sleep.

Hope you get some rest soon.

Clare

Crystalhiggs
17-01-16, 09:40
Hi Chocolate Face thx for your reply. My issue is usually getting off to sleep although I have been waking a lot too.

I always make sure I get out and have some form of exercise each day, yesterday I walked around 3 miles. But I have been feeling restless so prob need to go back to yoga or something to stretch all my muscles out!

I actually slept very well last night thank goodness, I know my body can only take so much! Prob slept 8/9 hours so feeling much better this morning, long may it continue!!!

MyNameIsTerry
17-01-16, 10:00
That's good toe hear, Crystal.

And like times before, it may wobble up & down for a few days whilst it corrects itself. So, don't worry if you get a short pattern of sleeping & not sleeping as much until then.

We've had plenty more snow again tonight. I was hoping the ice would clear for Monday but I guess it's going to be hanging around for a while...so I will be digging out my ice grips. Whoever invented those things should get an award of some kind. I told my uncle about them as he was always falling down walking to work in his office shoes. He bought some like mine and the first week there was a TV crew filming people falling all over the place and there he was...striding out without a care. That knackered their footage!

Crystalhiggs
18-01-16, 07:50
Hi Terry, oh well have had another awful night :( prob had 2 hours :( was feeling so good yesterday and had so much energy, felt tired when I went to bed but again was restless and just couldn't drop off.

I have a personal issue which is getting more problematic at the moment and I'm thinking now it could be that affecting it, even though I'm not consciously thinking about it most of the time.

Oh well another long, tired day looms ahead...

That's funny about your uncle haha, I don't exactly know what they are so going to look them up! Have a good day!

gregcool
18-01-16, 09:36
Hi Crystal..shame you had another crap night..its most likley because you have things on your mind..you dont have to be thinking about them all day for it to effect you at night when sleeping..you will be amazed what your brain logs onto when you are sleeping .things come out to play when you are sleeping and trouble your mind,taking you out of a relaxing sleep...i too didnt sleep well last night despite having a good day..i also have stuff going on in the back of my mind...try not to dwell on it otherwise you will get more anxious when going to bed tonight..just let it pass and except it...good luck tonight

Crystalhiggs
19-01-16, 17:15
Thank you Greg, yes it's funny how the subconscious works isn't it but I'm sure that's what's going on. Had the most amazing session with my therapist this morning (after an amazing sleep last night!) and have felt light and happy since then. The issue hasn't gone away I'm just learning to accept it and find new ways of dealing with it. Hope you're ok and slept better last night too?

gregcool
19-01-16, 18:08
Good to hear crystal.im glad your session went well and you slept well..prob just a blip and you will be back on track..my sleep has been pritty good latlet concidering iv cut down my olanzipine recently..slept till 10am today and had some good days and good parts of days..still having bad days but not as bad as before even tho iv got isues going on in my life at the moment..i must be in recovery and each day i log down my feelings through the day and there not bad.before ,i was having solid bad days and nights but now its broken through my week so getting better..have excepted the bad days now and dont fight them i think this has helped ..so looking forward to the next drop in a month and a half then ill be on my way to coming off this med

Crystalhiggs
19-01-16, 20:31
Wow you're going to feel amazing once you're off it Greg, I'm noticing more and more positivity in your posts and it's great to hear!! I know the key for me with sleep is just not to worry about it, not always an easy one but this is the thing that works.
Can't imagine sleeping until 10am though! (Not that I ever get the chance haha!)

gregcool
19-01-16, 22:49
Yea suprised me to.10am..but my mornings are getting longer sleeping through...dont have quite as much early morning anxiety anymore.its still there but not dwelling on it so much.havnt lost anymore weight over the last week tho..still on low calorie intake but am looking thiner tho..was loosing 2-3 pounds a week for a while but has sudenly slowed down.still dead on 13st still i was 15st 2.5 months ago so cant complain...hope you sleep well tonight.ill look out for your post

Crystalhiggs
20-01-16, 15:53
I think it can happen like that with losing weight, it slows down after a while but any consistent change to your diet will keep the weight off. Great your morning anxiety is fading!!
I had an awful night last night, actually I just didn't feel tired. Weird. Had around 3 hours! Not felt too bad today but my eyes are burning a bit now. Thought I was well over this!!!

gregcool
20-01-16, 17:31
Ohh crystal.hang in there it will improve as it did before..go for a nice long walk and a hot bath before bed,this will help to send you to sleep.try not to get sleep anxiety before going to bed..i goto bed at 11.30 every night,even if im not tired.its good to keep the bedtime routen.if you start staying up latter your mind will start to excpect it other nights then you will start going latter and later so stick to a time...you have got through your day on minimon sleep so your body can cope...good luck tonight

Crystalhiggs
20-01-16, 19:32
Thanks Greg, yes I have surprised myself with how I cope on little sleep. Distraction is key I think so I'm not focussing on it. It's weird though as I feel like I'm doing all the right things and not allowing it to take over me, not getting stressed about it just trying to accept it. Just not sure why it's happening again this last few days after months of feeling great! Well as I said though I do have an issue on my mind, I guess it's probably that. 11.30 to bed? I'm more a 9.30 girl haha!

gregcool
20-01-16, 19:43
Thats the spirit..and yes,if you have something on your mind that is troubling you,it will effect your sleep...i have quite a big issue in my life at the moment and have done for several months that has not sorted itself out,i carry it around most of the day and night,it does effect my mood and my sleep.so we just have to work through it