PDA

View Full Version : I can hear my heartbeat when I standup

PlantsForHire
16-01-16, 18:45
Is this normal? If I sit or lie down for more than 5-10 minutes and I stand up I can hear my heartbeat for a short amount of time along with a little dizziness. My parents, brother and I all have orthostatic hypotension (you get dizzy from standing up to quick) but I have never been able to hear my heartbeat when I stand up. Anyone else get this?

Peterthegreatworrier
17-01-16, 09:39
My guess is that it is probably related to your othostatic hypotension. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the heart beat quicker when this happens? I think I've heard that it's either the cause or result of the low blood pressure upon standing. Anyway, when your heart beats quicker or stronger it becomes VERY noticeable. Just because you haven't had this symptom before doesn't mean it's something different; it may have gotten worse, or you may have just started noticing it more :)
If personal experience means anything to you, I get this kind of thing A LOT (I kind of suspect I have POTS, which is very similar to orthostatic intolerance, though I haven't been diagnosed, LOL).
Bottom line is, this is only just a sign of slightly increased heart rate, be it from OI or stress. I'm quite positive you are fine :winks:
Regards, Peterthegreatworrier

PlantsForHire
18-01-16, 18:08
My guess is that it is probably related to your othostatic hypotension. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the heart beat quicker when this happens? I think I've heard that it's either the cause or result of the low blood pressure upon standing. Anyway, when your heart beats quicker or stronger it becomes VERY noticeable. Just because you haven't had this symptom before doesn't mean it's something different; it may have gotten worse, or you may have just started noticing it more :)
If personal experience means anything to you, I get this kind of thing A LOT (I kind of suspect I have POTS, which is very similar to orthostatic intolerance, though I haven't been diagnosed, LOL).
Bottom line is, this is only just a sign of slightly increased heart rate, be it from OI or stress. I'm quite positive you are fine :winks:

Thanks a lot! I always figured it has to do with anxiety because when I don't think about it and standup I don't notice it.

Peterthegreatworrier
20-01-16, 00:38
Glad to have helped! :winks: just remember to follow your motto :)