PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to feel healthy again.

KayeS
16-01-16, 21:24
So having just came off of what feels like the millionth bout of extreme health anxiety again over the past 2 years, I am trying to get everything back to normal but am struggling to feel healthy and well inside.

I haven't been to the gym for 5 weeks now but am planning on returning on Monday and I know for a fact that once I get back into that, despite the aches and pains that will accompany it, I know it will make me feel better.

I went to the GP again yesterday and spoke to a doctor I had seen before who seemed to empathise with my anxiety, and I requested medication and she actually gave me a prescription for Setraline. The only problem is that after reading about the potential side effects, unfortunately there is absolutely no way I can bring myself to take it. I have never in my life seen such an extensive list of not even rare, but COMMON side effects accompanying a medication before. So that's that.

Anyway, the point of this post is, I was wondering what things you guys do, or recommend that just make you feel healthier and well in general? My plan so far is get the gym going again, and also start eating much much more healthily. I find that these things help massively in a psychological way as well as physical.
Is there anything else that anyone can recommend? The reason I ask is although I've been given the all clear on my latest worry (spinal tumour), I just still feel generally unwell. I feel tired, my back still hurts, I have low motivation or drive... I just feel crappy but I really want to just break out of this and start actually feeling 31 instead of 91.

artist12
16-01-16, 21:44
I know exactly what you mean. I'm 26 and in good health, yet I never feel completely healthy.

But I've been interested in more holistic approaches lately and trying to take care of my body more naturally (I'm like you, I'm kind of afraid of anti-anxiety meds but let me clarify that I have NO problem with people taking them).

- Water: I never realized how dehydrated I was all the time because I never drink that much water and drink a good bit of coffee in the morning. Now every time I feel a headache twinge coming on, or dry throat, I drink an entire glass of water because I know it means I'm probably getting dehydrated.

- Meditation: Especially at night, I started using free YouTube guided meditations or the app called Breathe, to wind down when I feel really anxious. It at least gives me something else to think about for a bit.

- Exercise: Just brisk walking, especially outside this winter, has helped me clear my mind.

- Essential oils: Love lavender at night and eucalyptus in the morning, I put a few drops in the bottom of my shower, or with the lavender oil, sometimes I rub that directly on my chest or under my nose (some oils are safe to put directly on skin and others are not, just make sure you research)

Hope you find something that helps you!

MyNameIsTerry
17-01-16, 07:28
I went to the GP again yesterday and spoke to a doctor I had seen before who seemed to empathise with my anxiety, and I requested medication and she actually gave me a prescription for Setraline. The only problem is that after reading about the potential side effects, unfortunately there is absolutely no way I can bring myself to take it. I have never in my life seen such an extensive list of not even rare, but COMMON side effects accompanying a medication before. So that's that.

Been there when I first started Citalopram. Unfortunately, if you look up the side effects for ALL antidepressants, you will see an equally long and worrying list. Very few mental health meds are low side effect profile and the ones that are less likely, are more expensive e.g. Pregabalin.

So, is it your anxiety saying no way to the meds? If so, you will find many of us on here, and everywhere, who have had the same worries as you. I might not have HA but I am very symptom focussed (physical) so these meds were hard for me but I got into them. So, can you.

It is likely you will see side effects and how your HA manifests will probably be a struggle (it may not) but people on here will support you through it.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you are willing to accept a few hard weeks for the possible chance of a better time afterwards?

uru
17-01-16, 08:20
Are you sleeping enough?

KayeS
17-01-16, 12:04
I know exactly what you mean. I'm 26 and in good health, yet I never feel completely healthy.

But I've been interested in more holistic approaches lately and trying to take care of my body more naturally (I'm like you, I'm kind of afraid of anti-anxiety meds but let me clarify that I have NO problem with people taking them).

- Water: I never realized how dehydrated I was all the time because I never drink that much water and drink a good bit of coffee in the morning. Now every time I feel a headache twinge coming on, or dry throat, I drink an entire glass of water because I know it means I'm probably getting dehydrated.

- Meditation: Especially at night, I started using free YouTube guided meditations or the app called Breathe, to wind down when I feel really anxious. It at least gives me something else to think about for a bit.

- Exercise: Just brisk walking, especially outside this winter, has helped me clear my mind.

- Essential oils: Love lavender at night and eucalyptus in the morning, I put a few drops in the bottom of my shower, or with the lavender oil, sometimes I rub that directly on my chest or under my nose (some oils are safe to put directly on skin and others are not, just make sure you research)

Hope you find something that helps you!

Thank you for the reply :)

I think I could definitely be drinking more water now that I think about it. I used to drink a lot when everything was good and I was training 5 days a week and eating well but lately I've just lost care with it all and often notice I'm really thirsty...

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Been there when I first started Citalopram. Unfortunately, if you look up the side effects for ALL antidepressants, you will see an equally long and worrying list. Very few mental health meds are low side effect profile and the ones that are less likely, are more expensive e.g. Pregabalin.

So, is it your anxiety saying no way to the meds? If so, you will find many of us on here, and everywhere, who have had the same worries as you. I might not have HA but I am very symptom focussed (physical) so these meds were hard for me but I got into them. So, can you.

It is likely you will see side effects and how your HA manifests will probably be a struggle (it may not) but people on here will support you through it.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you are willing to accept a few hard weeks for the possible chance of a better time afterwards?

It's definitely because of anxiety over the side effects. Whenever I get prescribed any kind of medication I always read over the little leaflet included in the box and look at all the side effects, but the ones for Setraline... Jeez. I've never seen such an extensive list! I just don't think I can bring myself to take them. I might just stick with the CBT alone for now and if I see no improvement, or things getting worse, then at least I have the medication now and will consider taking it then....

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

Are you sleeping enough?

Lately actually I'm sleeping, but FEEL as if I'm not. I wake up exhausted still and just feel groggy and out of it all day :/

MyNameIsTerry
17-01-16, 12:08
I've been on Citalopram and now Duloxetine. I can assure you the list looks little different. The Meds board is a better place to ask about them though.

The Sert board is pretty active and there is a long running support thread on there so I'm sure they will help you.

BUT you are being confronted with the issue we are have with these meds, get worse before get better.

Side effects are reported because by law they have to show them but that doesn't mean you will get them. I can't say I've ever had more than a few off the entire list each time.

Hopefulmi
17-01-16, 12:17
I just started sertraline a couple of weeks ago and have done citalopram in the past. Being pregnant was worried about this new med but it has been fine I promise. A little bit of anxiety and not much else. I can promise it's worth it xx

KayeS
17-01-16, 12:23
I just hate that I've finally got some medication but can't bring myself to take it. Anything neurological really worries me.

Fishmanpa
17-01-16, 12:30
I was given Zoloft after my first heart attack when I fell into depression. TBH, I didn't read all the negative stuff, I just took it as directed. I didn't notice a difference but those around me did and it was a positive improvement in my mood and attitude. The meds along with therapy helped get me out of the hole I was in. I really didn't have any sides effects to speak of other than a dodgy stomach once in a while.

Steve, after what you've been through the last year, you really should consider the meds. The worst that can happen is a couple more weeks of anxiety (which you're already dealing with) and they don't work but the positive is that they just may help you get your life back.

Positive thoughts

Goosenufc
17-01-16, 12:33
I just hate that I've finally got some medication but can't bring myself to take it. Anything neurological really worries me.

Hi, I totally hear what you are saying. I was also totally against trying SSRI's after reading all the side affects.

However, I've tried them all - truthfully they didn't actually help me, but they certainly didn't make me any worse.

I got to the point where I was so fed up of feeling the way I was feeling I woke up one day and just thought "you know what - I owe it to myself to just give it a go, what have I got to lose".

If you feel that you owe it to youself to try and give it a go. Then I assure you, it will either help you feel better, or atleast you can say you tried.

All the best!

pulisa
17-01-16, 13:45
Hi, I totally hear what you are saying. I was also totally against trying SSRI's after reading all the side affects.

However, I've tried them all - truthfully they didn't actually help me, but they certainly didn't make me any worse.

I got to the point where I was so fed up of feeling the way I was feeling I woke up one day and just thought "you know what - I owe it to myself to just give it a go, what have I got to lose".

If you feel that you owe it to youself to try and give it a go. Then I assure you, it will either help you feel better, or atleast you can say you tried.

All the best!

This is really great advice, Steve. You will have to accept that you will probably get some psychosomatic symptoms if you start sertraline because you are so anxious about side effects but quite frankly you need some additional help along with the CBT to help you rise above all this hell. There is more to life than 24/7 HA and you've forgotten what it's like to wake up and just "be"?. At 31 you also deserve to be living life to the full and you can't do that with the yoke of HA weighing you down.

KayeS
18-01-16, 00:00
I really do hate my brain sometimes.

All day and night today I've been so focused on every little bodily sensation. And I tell you, when you focus on EXACTLY how your body feels, every twinge, head ache, itch, nothing feels RIGHT because that's not how you're supposed to be. And that's how I've felt all day today, and every sensation I feel is associated with the thought of "that's not how it should feel", because in a strange way, it's not, because you're not supposed to notice these things.... Anyway I'm off to sleep. Seems to be the only time I'm relaxed (when I actually manage to get to sleep that is).

Fishmanpa
18-01-16, 00:35
And I tell you, when you focus on EXACTLY how your body feels, every twinge, head ache, itch, nothing feels RIGHT because that's not how you're supposed to be.

Exactly!... and the meds can help to take your focus off your body. Think about how nice it would be to be able to see the trees for the forest for a change. Think about what it would be like to have some normalcy in your life again. So many, including myself have used meds to help get ourselves back on our feet. It's your decision but based on what I've watched you go through the last year, it sure worth a shot. You really have nothing to lose.

Positive thoughts

KayeS
18-01-16, 10:16
I do agree with you, but the panic I feel when I think about the side effects.... Especially considering that apparently for the first couple of weeks of taking this medication, your anxiety can actually get WORSE...The thought of that alone is enough to stop me. I honestly wish someone could force feed me it but I just can't bring myself to take them :(

Sunflower2
18-01-16, 12:26
I was SO SCARED about taking sertraline as I have a phobia of feeling sick and that is pretty much what most people complain about on this forum. But apart from a few times of feeling a bit weird I had nothing like what I was expecting. I was so scared for so long (I took 2 years to finally get round to taking it) but it's saved my life. I sat at home and waited for side effects which didn't come. I did take a tiny amount to begin with though which helped psychologically to get over the fear.. It's now been almost 7 months and I haven't looked back once. The thing that I think now is, why didn't I do this sooner?! I wasted so much time feeling anxious and awful worrying over something that never happened.

Meds are never an easy decision but if you never try then you never know..

pulisa
18-01-16, 12:47
As Kimberley says your best bet is to half the initial starting dose and then stay on this for a week or two until you feel "comfortable". When you are highly anxious anyway these SSRIs can ramp up anxiety for an initial period of time but taking a short course of low dose of diazepam at the same time can dampen down any potential side effects.

It's a big decision to make but you've never tried meds before and providing you start with a small dose you will not be taking a huge risk. You will have to weigh up what are psychosomatic symptoms and what are "real" symptoms (if indeed you have any) so it's a question of whether you want to give another option a chance to complement your CBT? I'm not sure whether CBT alone would be enough for you to get a hold on your HA as it's now become very entrenched.

Fishmanpa
18-01-16, 12:53
Last post on this for me.... You have a choice. Not take them and stay the same, possibly worse, or take them and have the "very real possibility" of feeling better. It's that simple.

Read through the meds section. The number of people taking them are staggering as is the number of people they're helping. Heck, my sister has been on Prozac for 10 years!

I used the analogy of taking a walk in the rain. Right now you're soaking wet, cold and miles away from your destination. If meds gave you an umbrella, it would be a lot more dry and warm on the way there.

You're 31yo. There are some 20-30 years your senior that have been suffering severely for most of their adult lives due to their fear of not taking meds. When you have real sufferers with similar fears telling you to go for it, you really should pay attention.

Good luck to you Steve. I hope you make what IMO, would be the right decision.

Positive thoughts

nirvanainchains
18-01-16, 13:20
I feel more fvcked up than you do, I am into the point of accepting suicide as a way out. It started 13months(1 year) ago as IBS and panic disorder, I was also diagnosed with Gastritis, GERD, and Mitral Valve Prolapse(this scares me the most since it is related to the heart). Now, I have a constant lower back pain, upper back pain mostly in the left, heavy headed and feels dizzy sometimes and the MOST INTENSE CHEST PAIN in the left/central area. I really think I am dying. <admin removal>

KayeS
18-01-16, 16:54
I feel more fvcked up than you do, I am into the point of accepting suicide as a way out. It started 13months(1 year) ago as IBS and panic disorder, I was also diagnosed with Gastritis, GERD, and Mitral Valve Prolapse(this scares me the most since it is related to the heart). Now, I have a constant lower back pain, upper back pain mostly in the left, heavy headed and feels dizzy sometimes and the MOST INTENSE CHEST PAIN in the left/central area. I really think I am dying. <admin removal>

I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling this way, and I would seriously urge you to let either a family member or friend, or both know how you're feeling right now. I'm not sure where you live but there are also many organisations that can help you get out of the mind state that you're in. I really urge you to think about all the people that care about you and your wellbeing as I'm sure there are people that do. The way you feel is TEMPORARY and can be overcome. You mustn't give up!

angrry
18-01-16, 19:04
I hope you can feel better soon Steve...i don't have any good advice about meds as my doc has only given me ativan and it doesnt really do anything...

KayeS
18-01-16, 20:27
I hope you can feel better soon Steve...i don't have any good advice about meds as my doc has only given me ativan and it doesnt really do anything...

I went back to the gym today for the first time in 5 weeks, actually just got back and I must say, it really has made me feel better. It's like a natural anti-depressant lol. We'll see how long it lasts though :/

angrry
18-01-16, 20:34
i've ben going for a couple of weeks now...just walking on the track..i do an hour and a half..usually just over 5 miles...dont feel too bad doing it...hasnt really helped overall...still have pain...still convinced i have colon cancer...i think today more convinced than ever

KayeS
19-01-16, 00:25
Sorry to hear that :(

Stick with the gym, once it becomes the norm, you'll start feeling better and better with it! Especially when you notice progress!