PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety give you a 'pit' feeling that something could be wrong?

BetheRugbyball
17-01-16, 00:03
I'm not quite sure how to phrase this, but I've been seeing a lot of shared Facebook posts of young healthy people being diagnosed with cancer with barely-there symptoms. And they all say something along the lines of

''Don't be fobbed off by your Doctor! Trust your body you know when something isn't right! Like and share to save a life!''

Now, the fact that doctors don't immediately jump to cancer with young people should reassure me that it's not the pandemic I think it is, but can anxiety give you a deep. Instinctive feeling that something is wrong??

As a sufferer of horrendous health anxiety, I'm fairly tuned in to every tiny symptom and twinge in my body. I don't feel anything, but I still have this thought that I've missed something and I need all the unnecessary medical tests to be sure.

Seriously, I've missed nights out in favour of staying home and obsessing over non-existent cancer symptoms. I've self harmed and thought of killing myself (almost tried once) because I'm so certain that I'm going to die of cancer anyway.

I'm going to the dentist on Tuesday to have a wisdom tooth infection checked out (It's all cleared up now, but I just want the removal out of the way, and antibiotics) and I'm terrified my dentist will find a tumour or something, it doesn't help that my gland is slightly swollen. Which my 30-year long nurse friend felt herself and said it was nothing.

Can anxiety mess up your gut instincts? I'm to embarrassed to go the GP at the moment, not asking for a diagnosis just advice! Thank you xx

Fishmanpa
17-01-16, 00:44
Can anxiety mess up your gut instincts?

Look around the forum. Check out how many threads start with "I'm 100% convinced I have...."

In the tens of thousands of threads that I've read, only "2" have panned out to be something serious and those posters are doing fine. HA skews your perception an makes it impossible to trust your gut instinct. Trust your medical professional.

Positive thoughts