PDA

View Full Version : Stressed out over Rose Thorn

FearOfTheDark
17-01-16, 00:30
Hi everyone,

First time post, woo! Anyway, down to the stressful stuff. Was watering yesterday, pulled the hose and a nearby rose bush came with it. One of the thorns broke off from the stem and went about a millimetre into my hand. I pulled it out straight away. There was a bit of blood and then nothing. I put some betadine on it and then some magnoplasm to try and draw out any of the remaining root, although it's not painful to touch. However, I'm now paranoid about getting a fungal infection after reading stuff on the Internet. When do I go to my GP? Thanks.

luxxinterior
17-01-16, 00:35
Hi....Sounds like you were paranoid in the first instance by treating it with betadine and magnoplasm... are these things you regularly store?.....why? My hands are regularly ripped to shreds cutting rose bushes and though it stings... I just wash the blood away.... am I under reacting?

Fishmanpa
17-01-16, 00:37
Welcome... there are great resources and info here. It's also nice to know you're not alone in your thoughts and it helps to write out your fears.

Chances are slim to none that your gardening incident will cause any ill effects. If you're that concerned, you can use an OTC bacterial gel and a bandaid. I'm quite sure all will be fine.

Remember... "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" - Poison (no, it's NOT a sign! ~lol~)

Positive thoughts

FearOfTheDark
17-01-16, 00:43
Hi....Sounds like you were paranoid in the first instance by treating it with betadine and magnoplasm... are these things you regularly store?.....why? My hands are regularly ripped to shreds cutting rose bushes and though it stings... I just wash the blood away.... am I under reacting?

I normally have them. I use them if I get splinters. Also fearful of tetanus as well.... Although your experiences would suggest that I should be fine.

MyNameIsTerry
17-01-16, 04:52
To give you some perspective, my dad was a landscape gardener for over 30 years. He would be covered in cuts quite often, as would all of them, and never needed anything other than the odd plaster or the need of a needle to dig something out.

You only need to consider a GP if it looks infected, oozes, looks angry, hurts, etc. It's very very unlikely you will have any problems. Remember, 30+ years up to 7 days a week, 9-10 hours a day and not a single problem. So, how likely are you to have one with one instance?