PDA

View Full Version : Travel Anxiety (round 2)

themiddleone
17-01-16, 03:13
(I posted this a few minutes ago, but I panicked a little and deleted it becuase I thought maybe it was already a topic somewhere and it'd get removed? Unsure, but I'm trying again because I need some tips, advice, anything)

So I'm literally brand new, like just signed up five minutes ago because I need some help.

I am the kind of person who can't really handle other people, or leaving my own comfortable little bubble...and I just booked a bus ticket to Chicago for a concert I am dying to see. I've already come close to calling and cancelling the ticket, and it's only been fifteen minutes since I even booked it :/

Does anybody have anything they know to do that helps make travelling any easier? I literally haven't ever gone someplace by myself in my life, I've never taken a bus, and I can't even remember the last time I left my state. I can't even tell the people at McDonalds that they got my order wrong, and I'm going to have to ask complete strangers where to go and what to do. And I can't even begin to start on the concert- a loud, crowded, dark, strange place that I've never been. shoulder to shoulder with people I've never met.

I have a friend who is driving there from Minnesota, but she isn't able to drive to Indiana and get me to take me with her, so I'm going to be meeting her at a bus stop in Rosemont after I transfer buses in Chicago (which already has me in tears just thinking about it). She's going to pick me up at the bus stop, and I feel like if I can just make it that far without having a complete meltdown I might be able to avoid any kind of emotional catastrophe for the days that we are there (that is, until I have to do it all again going home.). I have tried oils, medications, and more weird herbal concoctions than I can count, I just need to know how to do this without
A) Having a panic attack in a public place like on the bus or at the station
B) Cancelling my tickets and such at the last minute (Because not only do I really desperately want to make this work, my friend would absolutely kill me if I did that to her)

Please, anything helps!

Chocolateface
17-01-16, 20:27
Hi

I get a form of anxiety when travelling, like if we are flying somewhere I literally leave the house with tickets and passport in my hand so I know I have them, on the odd occasion I have out them in a bag I have got in the car then checked my bag as they could have somehow fell out (even though my bag would have been closed)

What I would do if I was you was try to visit the where you are getting the bus from before you go, if you can go on the day and time your bus is due to go, that way you can see what happens there. On your day of travel try to get to the bus stop a bit early and ask a person in uniform where your bus leaves from, then wait in that area. If you can have a book to read so no other passengers try to engage you in conversation, if you need to set an alarm on your phone to tell you when you are due to leave. On the bus try to get a window seat and put your bag n the seat next to you if you are allowed to do so. On the trip keep focussed on why you are going this is a concert you will regret not seeing.

Once you meet your friend you will be doing it with someone elseso it will seem less anxious.

Hope you have fun

Clare