PDA

View Full Version : Fear of "going manic"

SpaceHamster
17-01-16, 13:01
Hi,

I've been under a lot of stress lately (work pressure, rejection from someone I loved, boyfriend in an accident...), and anxiety/panic attacks that I thought were things of the past for me have been back for three months. The last 4 weeks have been especially bad, I've been alternating beetween days of feeling very sad and low and days of panicky feelings and nearly constant anxiety. Doctors have told me this is a reaction to stressful events and situations, and that it should go better when things around me will settle a bit (I hope so). I've been prescribed Xanax 0,25, to take as needed. I see my long-time therapist once every week.

For a few days, I've been obsessed with the fear of "going manic". For the record, I haven't had mood problems in the past, I'm a sensitive person but my mood variations seem to be in the normal range. After feeling so bad for a few weeks, I feel as if every hint of doing better, of having some energy back, is a symptom of mania. And it drives me into panic. Feeling good and a bit high after running? Mania. Excited about upcoming travel? Mania. Not very tired at bedtime? Mania. Racing thoughts, rush of adrenaline, tingling feeling, being "on edge"? Mania. Everything? Mania. My day-to-day actions haven't changed, I'm not feeling more social or irritable fo example, my boyfriend says I'm acting as usual, but I'm still frightened.

For example, I started reading an enlightening book about anxiety yesterday evening, it really talked to me and I felt happy for finding what seemed like a useful tool. Then I started to feel "keyed-up", telling me "OMG this is it, feeling good about something like that isn't normal, you're loosing control, you're going too high, you'll never be back to normal, etc". I was convinced that, since I was going manic, I wouldn't sleep that night : I took a Xanax and slept like a log for 7 hours anyway, so...

My therapist told me a few days ago that this was anxiety, not mania, and reminded me that she knew me for 14 years now, that she also worked with bi-polar people and that I wasn't like that. But I'm still spending hours and hours terrified of this idea, googling symptoms, constantly scanning my mind and my body for hints of excitation, restlessness and nervosity (since anxiety can give you these symptoms anyway...).

Have you ever experienced similar worries about BP/mania? What helped you stay rational about it?

the_anxious_mind
17-01-16, 13:12
Hi,

I've been under a lot of stress lately (work pressure, rejection from someone I loved, boyfriend in an accident...), and anxiety/panic attacks that I thought were things of the past for me have been back for three months. The last 4 weeks have been especially bad, I've been alternating beetween days of feeling very sad and low and days of panicky feelings and nearly constant anxiety. Doctors have told me this is a reaction to stressful events and situations, and that it should go better when things around me will settle a bit (I hope so). I've been prescribed Xanax 0,25, to take as needed. I see my long-time therapist once every week.

For a few days, I've been obsessed with the fear of "going manic". For the record, I haven't had mood problems in the past, I'm a sensitive person but my mood variations seem to be in the normal range. After feeling so bad for a few weeks, I feel as if every hint of doing better, of having some energy back, is a symptom of mania. And it drives me into panic. Feeling good and a bit high after running? Mania. Excited about upcoming travel? Mania. Not very tired at bedtime? Mania. Racing thoughts, rush of adrenaline, tingling feeling, being "on edge"? Mania. Everything? Mania. My day-to-day actions haven't changed, I'm not feeling more social or irritable fo example, my boyfriend says I'm acting as usual, but I'm still frightened.

For example, I started reading an enlightening book about anxiety yesterday evening, it really talked to me and I felt happy for finding what seemed like a useful tool. Then I started to feel "keyed-up", telling me "OMG this is it, feeling good about something like that isn't normal, you're loosing control, you're going too high, you'll never be back to normal, etc". I was convinced that, since I was going manic, I wouldn't sleep that night : I took a Xanax and slept like a log for 7 hours anyway, so...

My therapist told me a few days ago that this was anxiety, not mania, and reminded me that she knew me for 14 years now, that she also worked with bi-polar people and that I wasn't like that. But I'm still spending hours and hours terrified of this idea, googling symptoms, constantly scanning my mind and my body for hints of excitation, restlessness and nervosity (since anxiety can give you these symptoms anyway...).

Have you ever experienced similar worries about BP/mania? What helped you stay rational about it?

SpaceHamster,

I DEFINITELY have had trouble with worries about my heart racing before. I thought I would die cause my heart raced so fast! And the bad thing is, the more you think about it, the worst it gets. I downloaded a free app that my therapist suggested called Insights for Life. It is amazing--like hypnotherapy. The lady is calm and cool with a relaxing voice. When I get jazzed up and I can't get calmed down, then I start to hyperventilate. I will lay down and put my ear phones in. It only takes about 10 minutes for a listen and you are forced to stop and breathe!

And it's okay to be "up" and feel good! Find something you enjoy and distract yourself with it. And when that doesn't work, try mindful relaxation. You may find that it really helps to just breathe!:)

Blinkyrocket
17-01-16, 20:48
Holy crap! I have this exact same thing! After this one time a couple months ago when I was playing a video game, things started getting crazy and it was awesome and fun and I started noticing I was getting really excited... The day after I played again and almost felt euphoric and after that I've feared going manic when I feel any slight semblance of energy and excitement with what I'm doing.

SpaceHamster
18-01-16, 09:49
I'm seeing my therapist this evening, I hope she'll be able to help me feel better about this fear.
I think that, maybe, our brain gets used to anxiety/feeling bad and considers it like normal. So whenever we feel happy, or amused, or excited, it makes us panic because our brain sees it like an anomaly, or a threat.
Trying to rationalize things, but still scared!