PDA

View Full Version : Video Games and balance issues

Hears The Water
22-09-04, 23:08
Anyone else ever notice that playing video games that have a lot of movement in them makes you feel like you are "off balance"? My son dug out his old Sega game and we have been playing Sonic the Hedgehog and while I love playing this game, I noticed that my balance was getting off. I call this state "woogedy". I feel like the whole world has tilted just slightly. I am wondering if this is because of the left to right movement in the game. I also get this feeling if I am sitting in the car and one of the kids or the wind makes the car sway. I am fine when I am driving the car, but I realy freak when I am just sitting. Anyone else feel like this? Any explanations for it? I did check my breathing and worked on some correct breathing but it did not make it any better. When it is a breathing thing (and it often is) I usually get better when I breathe correctly. But this particular feeling seems to last longer. Again, any input would be very welcome. Thanks in advacne.
God bless you and yours
Debbie

KW
22-09-04, 23:16
Hi Debbie

I've played this game too and yeah I know what you mean about feeling off balance. I don't think it's you, it's the game itself. There is alot of going forwards then spinning back quickly and to pay attention i guess our eyes are following that movement and really concentrating. I don't play the games now but when i did i would just have a break from it for a while before i felt ok to carry on. I get slight blurred vision from looking at the computer screen for too long aswell but i think it's pretty normal and i've spoken to others who get this too.

KW

seh1980
22-09-04, 23:38
hi there Debbie,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I get the exact same thing when I play video games. It's the only time I have experienced the 'off balance' thing. I have no idea why it happens though. I'm not even sure if it has anything to do with anxiety as I think the very same thing happened to me before I started suffering from panic attacks. I think it's more to do with the video games as they all involve fast movements - it might be our minds just not being able keep up.

Sarah :D

another_adam
23-09-04, 00:06
yes sounds to me like the game is making your balance off, can't say i've had that feeling in cars. I do, like alot of people get sick if i dont look out the window.

adam

Jules31
23-09-04, 14:10
yep I get it too but even more since I got anxiety. Sadly I get balance moving feelings quite a lot.

When my anxiety first started it was especially bad in the car and I noticed I got motion sick too, which hadn't happened since I was a kid.

Jules

nomorepanic
23-09-04, 19:39
Hi Debbie

We had a similiar post to this before - check out ...

Videogames (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1197)

It does seem to effect people.

Nicola