PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me with travel and medication?

Noodle24
18-01-16, 20:19
First of all, hello to everyone!

I'll start with a brief description of my anxiety. It developed suddenly a few months after I found out my girlfriend of 7 years was having an affair. As an otherwise healthy 27 year old male I resisted the diagnosis of the doctors and lived in denial. Eventually the anxiety got so bad it threatened to get in the way of work, my new relationship and day to day life. I was left broken and sought help, undertaking CBT.

It's now been a year and a half and the anxiety has abated when doing routine tasks within my little bubble. I am fine in my job unless I have a big meeting and i can manage most places other than the really busy ones (at one stage i couldn't even watch TV!). I still dread certain events and places but whilst i'm in my quiet routine i seem to avoid the worst of it.

Leading to my questions, before I got anxiety I was a massive travel fanatic, i had been lucky enough to get away a fair bit and even managed to climb Kilimanjaro for charity (I only mention this to showcase the contrast of how much anxiety has affected my life). Now however I cannot even face the thought of going away! I tried a year ago to travel to Germany with my new partner but in the height of my anxiety I just became an wreck and it completely ruined the experience for both of us. The worst part was the flight home and the horrific nausea and panic I felt.

I decided to face this fear before i let it get any worse, i don't want to continue to feel this way when i think of doing the thing that i love so much. So I took the plunge and decided to book a week in Italy (Gulp). This is where my panic sets in! Separately my doctor has prescribed Prochlorperazine for the near constant nausea I feel but i have read that this may help me with feeling more relaxed before i travel. I have never taken anything for my anxiety so i am cautious about doing so now. Conversely I am worried i won't be able to manage travelling without something. So after all that i guess i just have a few questions:

1) Has anyone taken Prochlorperazine? Is it safe? Does it Work? Are there better options?
2) Does anyone know anything that may help in this situation?
3) Has anyone else experienced the excited/anxious nausea and how did they overcome it?