PDA

View Full Version : PCOS worries?

ImObsessedWithGlee
18-01-16, 21:17
I'm always worrying about something and today it's this. I googled (I know, stupid thing to do) stuff on the internet when I thought my period was late. PCOS came up and the symptoms were absent/irregular periods, hair growth on body, oily skin and dandruff etc.

All of this prompted me to take a closer look at my body. I realised I have hair all over my stomach. I honestly couldn't tell you if it's been there my whole life or what. I'm freaking out because I'm so conscious of it now and I feel like it shouldn't be there at all and it's making me think I have PCOS :(

My periods are very regular in the sense I get them every 30-34 days without fail. I have come off the pill in the last 6 months after taking it for 3 and a half years and my periods have been every 30-34 days. And I have never missed a period.

I've always (since I was 10) had acne. It's genetic as all the girls in my dad's side of the family have suffered the same as me, even into adulthood.

Can anyone tell me if they do think I have PCOS? The only real symptom I have is the hair (which could have been there all of the time, I honestly can't say) but it's enough to make me freak out :(

debs71
18-01-16, 22:26
Nope, I would guess not.

I have what the gynaecologist I saw told me was 'features' of PCOS, but not the full blown syndrome - I have a history of multiple ovarian cysts, spotting between periods and 'missing' periods (50 plus days between sometimes)

I don't however have all of the features, such as being overweight, increased bodily hair, acne, etc.

It just doesn't sound probable that you have it to me. You really have to have ALL of the obvious features, and periods are usually missing for quite a time or are really, really out of whack.

Could it just be that you are seeing hair that has always been there, but you are only now fixated on it because you are worried?? PCOS also typically causes facial hair, due to the increased testosterone it creates.

I wouldn't worry about PCOS. I think this is just anxiety talking. xx

ImObsessedWithGlee
18-01-16, 22:41
Nope, I would guess not.

I have what the gynaecologist I saw told me was 'features' of PCOS, but not the full blown syndrome - I have a history of multiple ovarian cysts, spotting between periods and 'missing' periods (50 plus days between sometimes)

I don't however have all of the features, such as being overweight, increased bodily hair, acne, etc.

It just doesn't sound probable that you have it to me. You really have to have ALL of the obvious features, and periods are usually missing for quite a time or are really, really out of whack.

Could it just be that you are seeing hair that has always been there, but you are only now fixated on it because you are worried?? PCOS also typically causes facial hair, due to the increased testosterone it creates.

I wouldn't worry about PCOS. I think this is just anxiety talking. xx

Thanks so much for replying :)

Yes I don't suffer from spotting between periods or missing them or anything like that. I'm nowhere near being overweight either (although my diet could be a lot better than it is).

I feel like the hair has always been there and I'm now just fixating on it because I'm worried. I feel like if the hair had just popped out of nowhere then I would have noticed it straight away, but I don't think it has. I have no facial hair whatsoever thank god!

Thank you very much, you've really helped ease my fears :D xx

debs71
19-01-16, 00:49
Hey, no worries! :)

Glad that I was able to help....all the best! xx:hugs:

venusbluejeans
19-01-16, 00:58
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.