PDA

View Full Version : scared of rare disease

18-01-16, 23:16
honestly i know i probably sound ridiculous saying this, but i'm now scared that i have a disease called "Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva", or muscle that turns into bone and eventually kills the person. even though it only affects 1 in 2 million people, i'm still terrified of it.

the only thing that's leading me to believe i have it is a small lump on my back. it isn't visible and only hurts when i press it.

i'm aware that this is a really irrational fear but i'm terrified. i'm crying a lot and feel nauseous. please help.

Fishmanpa
18-01-16, 23:39
Someone has been Googling! :emot-nod:

That's about the same odds as hitting the lotto. But just like the lotto, someone has to win eventually and it won't be you! ;)

Positive thoughts

19-01-16, 01:48
thank you, i'll try...i guess i'll have to keep telling myself that this is just a knot

Blinkyrocket
19-01-16, 04:50
It's just the knowing that's the problem. The knowing that the disease exists means that however unlikely (in this case, 1 in 2 million chance.... Highly unlikely) there's still the possibility and that's what drives me nuts. You can try massaging and putting pressure on the knot and seeing if it goes away after awhile. Could take a few days of its just a knot caused by muscle tension.