PDA

View Full Version : It's ringworm - disinfect ALL THE THINGS?

RetailMoth
19-01-16, 05:00
Today i went to the small local clinic to get my spot looked at. They told me it was ringworm, and gave me a topical antibiotic for it. I was told to keep my hands clean and that if it was just the ONE spot, then it was probably fine but

But google (I know, I know, but I panicked) tells me ringworm is contagious if I touch the spot and then touch anything else. Last night I poked at it and then used my laptop to make this post. I'm also constantly touching my earbuds or placing the buds on the keyboard instead of the laptop table, and I'm always rubbing my eyes...

I just rubbed the keyboard down with Lysol but I'm still paranoid. I'm freaking out over this, I don't know what else to disinfect or clean, and I'm scared that I'll have ringworm in my ears now. My hands and fingers are still okay but what if it's just taking a while longer to show up? Every google site is like DISINFECT EVERYTHING WITH BLEACH but i don't have the time, or bleach, and just

I'm scared I'm contaminating myself even further. HELP!

EDIT:
The doctor said that if it's only in one spot on my body and if my roommate doesn't have it, then I must have picked it up from work and it's probably not in my house. But I still touched things in here, so...

MyNameIsTerry
19-01-16, 05:26
Yes, but you have been touching things all over your house...and your room mate hasn't caught it. You didn't get infected at work and head straight to the doctors so this is clearly your anxiety putting these thoughts in place.

Try to rationalise it. Tell yourself that whilst you had this spot you have been touching your things and even yourself. In that time it has not also infected other areas of your body - as confirmed by a doctor, and your room mate has touched the same things as you and not caught it. Even if you had a recurrence, all you see if see your doctor again and he will treat it. It's very treatable.

And please, don't use bleach or anything harsh on yourself.

A quick grab off Wiki:

Prevention

Advice often given includes:
Avoid sharing clothing, sports equipment, towels, or sheets.
Wash clothes in hot water with fungicidal soap after suspected exposure to ringworm.
Avoid walking barefoot; instead wear appropriate protective shoes in locker rooms and sandals at the beach.[4][5][6][6]
After being exposed to places where the potential of being infected is great,[7] wash with an antibacterial and antifungal soap or one that contains tea tree oil, which contains terpinen-4-ol.[8][9]
Avoid touching pets with bald spots, as they are often carriers of the fungus.

Please follow the correct, and sensible advice, and only look at professional medical sites. They won't tell you to bleach. Perhaps you could spray areas down with something from the above?

cerridwen
19-01-16, 17:03
I had ringworm several times as a student sharing accommodation with other students. They never caught it.
It is transmitted via skin contact. Spores don't survive on hard surfaces, so it is less easy to catch than you think.
I also had it last summer on my arm, caught it from my husband, who had it on his arm too......
It's not serious and easily treated with antifungal cream.

RetailMoth
21-01-16, 06:24
Going in again on Friday as my spot has gotten worse and they want to look at it. I've got my work uniform washing right now; I keep panicking and washing all my clothes and bedding and towels and am almost too scared to touch my cat for fear I'll give it to her too.

Magic
21-01-16, 14:20
I remeber my husband having ringworm on his arm when he worked on a farm.
I did nothing about it. Never gave it a thought. No one else had it in the family.

jimsmrs
21-01-16, 16:25
I had ringworm once, picked it up from my garden as i hate wearing gardening gloves, no-one else caught it!!