PDA

View Full Version : 5 HTP and / or St Johns Wort

sandie
19-01-16, 17:46
Now that I am completely off AD meds, (although I am still on Propanalol), I am thinking about taking either 5 htp or St Johns Wort.

I am aware of seretonin syndrome and know that even 5 htp has to be taken with caution, but I feel I need to take something. I still have depression / anxiety. The anxiety is being addressed with CBT (and willpower!) and the physical symptoms are helped by the propanalol.

Any experiences / thoughts / ideas etc, - good or bad about either St Johns or 5 HTP would appreciated. Especially useful would be thoughts around what can be considered a sensible daily dose of 5 HTP. There is a lot of conflicting information online (probably because it is not 'proven' to work). Would be good to learn how others have used both and if it has helped.

AdamE
19-01-16, 18:26
I didn't have a huge difference when I was using 5-HTP with Sertraline. But I didn't actually know there were issues with using both. I was taking Tranquil Sleep which worked great for me. It uses 5-HTP, Suntheanine and Melatonin. But I stopped taking it because of the interaction with Sertraline and 5-HTP. Didn't want to take the chance since I've only been on it for almost 2 weeks. It sucks because the stuff tastes like candy almost! So instead I just take a 500mg magnesium supplement before bed. That works for me.

But to your question you might be pushing the boundaries with all the other medications. Maybe try it for ONE day and see how you feel. If things get way worse stop immediately. SS can at least be reversed and won't hurt you if you quit that right away. Not sure if you'd have to quit the other stuff too or if that's all it would take is to quit 5-HTP. I'd let your doctor know too.

sandie
19-01-16, 19:44
AdamE - sorry I think I might have confused you. I am not on any prescribed meds - other than a beta blocker, so seretonin syndrome is not an issue if I start either 5 HTP or St johns Wort. However, I am curious to see if NMP members have had success with either of these two.

AdamE
19-01-16, 22:42
Ooops my bad. I'm curious myself. I've seen good reviews for St. John's Wort. I use to take 5-HTP way back in the day but didn't feel any different for me. But that was 10 years ago. I'm definitely curious about the St. John's Wort though if Sertraline doesn't cut it for me.

uru
19-01-16, 22:46
Sjw has a lot of interactions.

sandie
26-01-16, 12:10
I started 5 HTP yesterday. I can't take St JW because it interacts with the stating that I take.

Last night I took 5 HTP and a Melatonin and my sleep wasn't too bad. Here's hoping.

I would love to know what dosage 5HTP users take and whether they have felt it to be beneficial.

unspoken
31-01-16, 22:33
I took 2 5-HTP tablets a few weeks ago because I didn't know it could interact with the antidepressants I was taking, someone just told me it can help you sleep because it's the precursor to tryptophan. I read the packaging but it said nothing about what it was meant to do or about possible interactions. I think it was before I started taking Mirtazapine, when I was on 150mg of Sertraline and various sleeping pills. It didn't appear to have any effect, positive or negative on me, but then I was pretty messed up on the amount of other medications I was taking at the time.

I had a look at some St John's Wort in Holland and Barratt (shop) today and the packaging said "Do not take if you have been diagnosed with depression" so I guess they're just covering themselves. Sorry, this post hasn't really answered your questions. I had a friend at school whose family all used homeopathic medicine and they seemed to use Hypericum for a lot of things, which I think is the same thing as St John's Wort.

wayne7
15-02-16, 13:19
Hello Sandie. I have tried 5htp before and i did not notice any side effects but it was hard to say if it helped at all. i am thinking of trying it again though. I can't remember the dose but i took what it said on the jar. :)

Peaceful123
17-02-16, 20:07
from as much as i know, there are people reporting that St John's Wort is extremely beneficial for them but there are others saying that it is completely useless or even detrimental. my guess is that since we are all having different body chemicals, drugs are working for us in different ways. good luck ;)

NoPoet
10-03-16, 00:48
Consider this. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64229)

karenp
02-04-16, 08:26
I bought high strength 5-htp but it made me feel sick and no different after a fortnight at all but maybe will try it again and stick with it as I read it takes time to kick in like proper ad's...or prescription ads. I have been given Citalopram but have such a terrible start up on it I have had the pills three weeks now and just won't take them as I'd end up in the emergency room with panic attacks and get so many other start up effects and it never kicks in with me for about 4 months. Tried Mirtazapine instead and though no side effects as such it just made me more ill. I am normally ok but it's blasted PMT so for about a week I feel super low and just want to cry, try to go out walking which helps and am eating healthily but have been this way ever since I had my son 13 years ago. I got my 5-htp off AMAZON and about 400 people had said brill things about it and very few bad, so I maybe just need to take it properly this time.

sandie
02-04-16, 10:21
Hi Karen - long time no speak ! Please do be very careful; if you are taking prescribed ante-depressants (and your posts suggests you are now taking Mirtazapine ?) you should NOT also take 5HTP because you risk something called seretonin syndrome which can be very serious.

You can take one or the other but not both together.

I am now on a very low dose of Amitryptiline - which has helped regulate my sleep a little more, as well as a beta blocker to lower my blood pressure and help with the panic attacks.

However, once I am off the Amitriptyline I should like to go back to 5HTP; unfortunately I cannot take St JW because it is contra-indicated with a statin which I have to take for a cholesterol problem.

karenp
12-05-16, 08:39
Oh I am off Mirtazapine and daren't take Citalopram as it gives me terrible side effects including panic attacks. My anxiety is ok but my mood is crap to say the least, I never sleep beyond 4am and GP now refuses me any benzo/hypnotic help! I am usually okish by midmorning and great at night time and fall asleep easily as I am so exhausted but it's mornings I dread. I try to go for a walk though and have been staying at my parents so I am not alone. My ex-husband took me to court and I had no solicitor so he won taking William from me. Seeing his empty room makes me panic so I can barely go near my flat and am trying to find somewhere new. But my dad sees me as being unmotivated, just on the computer (despite going for walks) and I can't go out anywhere properly as no money as still off sick. He yells at me all the time as he has never suffered and makes me a whole lot worse but I am trapped!
I was taking 5htp but it hasn't made any real difference and highest dose so now have bought something with lemon plant in it, St Johns Wort etc and have been on it a couple of days so too soon to tell if it helps.
Also sad as been messed about by an American I lived with last year HERE! He does suffer too but his moods are up and down and one day he wants me over with him in the USA and the next is moody as hell and barely gets in touch or he is quite nasty, so my life is just sad and dunno if it is depression or just pure unhappinesss about everything that has happened. Will walk my mum's two yorkies soon and that always helps a bit xxx
Took st Johns wort before and ended up on Citalopram but my old GP used to give me sleeping pilsl lor Lorazepam until I settled.