PDA

View Full Version : Terrible agoraphobia

zoe1976
19-01-16, 18:22
Hello, I'm looking for any info on medication that's been successful in treating pretty severe agoraphobia, currently taking 30mg mirtazepine, 10 amitryptaline and 10mg diazepam... Still struggling to get outside or even walk anywhere without help. Replies very much appriciated, thankyou

AdamE
19-01-16, 18:28
Have you tried walking when it's dark? I had the same issue and found myself feeling a bit more comfortable getting out there at night. Less people out there so you're mostly on your own. I've found that helped me quite a bit to the point where I've started to slowly go for walks during the day time. Granted where I walk it's less populated but it's a nice change.

lindadiana
19-01-16, 18:29
been struggling with going out on my own for over 25 years,never succeeded yet

zoe1976
19-01-16, 18:48
Hi thanks Adam, I shall try that, seems so silly not to be even able to walk anywhere! I'm awaiting cbt but the waiting list is very long here in Cheshire, just feel I'm existing and not living

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Gosh linda, I really sympathise, that sounds dreadful..., so no meds or therapy has helped you?

lindadiana
19-01-16, 19:43
hello,no im afraid not,im on diazepam,have been for 19 years now,i was on them from 19 to 30 off them for about 8 years,but back on them from age 38 to present day,i haven't been on a bus for about the same 25 years,im just stck where I live local shops and back home again,crap life but what can you do,cbt didn't help,claire weeks helped with the panic attacks,but nothing seems to get me over that fear og going outside alone,ive tried the dark,im too scared to go further than half way down my street and its a very small street,if I cant see my house I cant do it

sl1nky
19-01-16, 20:53
I was cooped up for the maximum of 8 days before I started to realized that if I was to get scared of going outdoors I will surly make my anxiety worse in the long run and since I live alone I can't rely on people helping me do my bidding, such as shopping for essential items, life would of become the most ultimate struggle.

Maybe try something like: Take 1 step outside, tomorrow take 2 steps outside, 3, then 4, 5, 6, 7. After a week swap it to minutes, take 7 steps and stand there for 1 minute, the next day, take 7 steps and stand there for 2 minutes and so on... Always keeping in mind that there's nothing to fear. You might want to put shades on if your gonna try that, being isolated for so long your eye's are bound to be light sensitive.

silver blaze
20-01-16, 09:33
Got meself a folding mobility scooter that has helped me on my better days

Blinkyrocket
20-01-16, 17:33
Huh, the way I did it was probably a huge advantage. At first, I set my drum set a few feet away from the house due to noise complaints (live in the middle of nowhere so the noise complaints were my parent's). Played there for awhile, then got a job offer to clean bathrooms and pick up trash for the state park that we lived RIGHT next to. Gotta Gator (sort of a golf cart) to drive and went around cleaning bathrooms and picking up trash, at first I was scared to go down certain roads, but eventually the days became sunny and it became easy. I suspect that this hugely advantageous set of events really helped me overcome agoraphobia. It also helped that we owned a restaurant that we lived RIGHT behind and I could go in there anytime I wanted too.