PDA

View Full Version : Does exercise actually help?

sl1nky
19-01-16, 21:13
I always see in anxiety-aid articles that exercise actually helps, I'm wondering if anyone out there has actually experienced this?

Before developing my anxiety disorder, I went through a rough patch with my ex, separation etc, I found my self working out intensely at 2-4am in the morning 5/7 days a week for most of 8 months up until I developed my anxiety disorder. But now I'm so physically and mentally drained it's hard to even do 30+ minutes of cardio every 2 days, I've been doing that for the most of 2 years now and I'm really not feeling any benefits...

sarahsarah
19-01-16, 22:28
i can only speak from my own experience but swimming has certainly helped me with my anxiety issues. Not only do I feel both mentally and physically better after a swim, I think the time in the pool where I can't look at my phone/ iPad or be contacted by anyone does me the world of good. My overall level of fitness has much improved and I do feel a lot better in myself.

Having said that, I think you really have to be careful not to overdo it and not to beat yourself up if you don't exercise as often as you'd like to. I got to the point where the pool I go to was closed for one day and rather than enjoy that as a day off, I went twice the day before to make up for it. I'm a bit better than that and aim for 4/5 times a week now and am happy to have a full week off on the odd occasion.

I don't think there is anything beneficial at all in doing two hours of hard cardio daily, let alone in the middle of the night. Best advice I can give regarding exercise is that if you're not enjoying it, don't do it- find something else. There is something for everyone when it comes to physical activity and if it takes a few tried to find out what works for you then so what? I used to think there was something the matter with me because I couldn't really take to going to the gym and I failed miserably at Couch 2 5k running programme. I really thought that maybe exercise wasn't for me but now I couldn't imagine my life without swimming. I made the mistake of thinking the only real exercise you should be doing was either the gym or running and that is far from the truth.

Oosh
19-01-16, 22:42
I've been addicted to exercise and it can send you in the other direction. I was suffering from unbearable anxiety and low mood until I had a long period of rest. Then I started to feel myself again and feared exercise would make me lose my good mood.

You've got to rest. The benefits will be lost if you don't give your body recovery time. And do t do it at 2am lol. You're messing with hormones/cortisol etc. You'll throw everything out of balance.

I've also found something like a hill walk outside in the daylight is a better mood booster than other forms of cardio.

Good nutrition, recovery time and cardio can leave me feeling calm, clear and organised with a definite improvement in mood.

uru
19-01-16, 22:45
How much were you sleeping?

PlantsForHire
20-01-16, 00:32
I always see in anxiety-aid articles that exercise actually helps, I'm wondering if anyone out there has actually experienced this?

Before developing my anxiety disorder, I went through a rough patch with my ex, separation etc, I found my self working out intensely at 2-4am in the morning 5/7 days a week for most of 8 months up until I developed my anxiety disorder. But now I'm so physically and mentally drained it's hard to even do 30+ minutes of cardio every 2 days, I've been doing that for the most of 2 years now and I'm really not feeling any benefits...

Exercise definitely helps but like most things you need to do it in moderation. Overworking your anxious mind in the gym will definitely not make you less nervous the next day because you will be physically/mentally drained. Also exercise MUST be paired with proper rest, sleep, and hydration to be effective.

I think a 3-5/7 day workout plan of no more than 1 hour's worth of exercise per session is the best.

John_Daryl
20-01-16, 01:18
I'm in a similar boat to you. I developed my anxiety post break up of a 4 year relationship. I dove into my excercise to try to cover my time and stop myself contemplating my problems. Then one day I decided to go out and enjoy myself, rather than overly excercise, as soon as I stopped exercising my anxiety hit it's peak. Iv had multiple panic attacks and now I can't control my anxiety really well.

My point is you've got to know your body and find the right balance. Too much can be just as damaging as none at all,but it does help if you do it to a healthy level and still remember about your anxiety, understand it and embrace the issue. Trying to hide away and ignore it will only make it worse.

I find that 30 minutes a day 3-5 days a weeks quite intensely is good

Savvy_Darling
20-01-16, 01:23
I totally understand how you feel... When I'm really anxious I don't feel like doing anything except being upset and worried. It sucks. For me though I have been trying to do my treadmill everyday and when I do do it it does make me forget about my worries and I'll feel good afterwards like I just accomplished something. I need to force myself to do it sometimes like today for example.. I've been so anxious for the past week and I haven't done it since Thursday. Really gotta get out of this slump I'm in but yeah you should totally try to get back into that excersise routine and keep it up.

debs71
20-01-16, 03:32
Yep, it does help....at least in my experience.

I personally would avoid anything that really raises the heartrate, as it can bring on feelings of panic and anxiety....which sort of defeats the object!

I am a right lazy mare, and sadly I have not done much in the way of exercise for a while now. I used to go to the gym religiously, a couple of times a week after working a night shift (My work colleagues thought I was bonkers) but I did so as it really, really helped with my stress and anxiety levels.

I didn't do anything intensive - just 10 mins on the exercise bike, 10 mins on the treadmill (fast walking pace) a bit of messing about with the gym ball and a bit of rowing machine and afterwards the BEST thing I can possibly recommend, which is swimming.

Swimming is amazing for anxiety IMO. The feel of the water is very comforting and relaxing, and it is good exercise without being exhausting. So therapeutic.

I have to agree that you need not put any pressure on yourself about this. The nature of anxiety/depression, etc. is that it really fatigues us, both mentally and physically. It is hard to even contemplate getting out of bed sometimes, let alone getting on a treadmill! I think the key is 'gently does it', but do try to do it, even if you really feel you don't want to or can't, as it is a means to an end. Any exercise - even low key exercise - really does help get the endorphins going, and helps us feel better.

You don't even need to do the 'proper' exercise thing, if you really cannot face it. I personally do a lot of walking these days. I don't have a car so needs must, but I feel so much better after taking a brisk walk, even if it is just up the shops and back again. It also helps clear the mind somewhat.

Bottom line, any little bit of exercise is a good thing. x:hugs:

GingerFish
20-01-16, 12:39
From my own experience, exercise has been a life saver in terms of my anxiety and OCD. Its the last thing you feel like doing but it honestly does work wonders. Even just a ten minute walk around the block can help. I walk every day and for days when the weather is bad or I can't be bothered going outside, I go on my exercise bike for about 15 mins. Exercising and eating healthy has made great improvements for me but it doesn't cure but it certainly wont make you any worse as long as you don't over do it.

KeeKee
20-01-16, 14:39
I feel like I'm the opposite of everybody as exercise does absolutely nothing for me. I came off antidepressants in April 2014 as I gained a lot of weight on them and they made me feel worse (I didn't eat more, I'm a comfort eater so probably ate less and I wasn't any more lazy so the weight gain was directly related to the antidepressants). After coming off them I felt so much better and by December of that year I'd lost 6lbs (no dieting or exercise), which made me feel even better. By March I'd lost a further 6 lbs and nearly all of the weight I'd gained from Paroxetine (I also gained a lot from Prozac but was still a healthy weight so it never bothered me as much). Long story short I felt so much better not being almost overweight, was starting to feel like my health anxiety was getting better and everything. So, in April of 2015 I started walking. 3 miles minimum nearly everyday. I did it until around September. In July I also added an exercise DVD. I felt absolutely no different, I didn't feel more energetic, I didn't feel more confident and I didn't get that 'buzz' you hear people talking about. Exercise does absolutely nothing for my mental health. However I was definitely fitter from it which decreased my health anxiety in relation to having a heart condition (I haven't mentioned it at the docs for ages now which is good for me). So even if it doesn't help with your anxiety (or depression in my case) it will still benefit you even if only physically.

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

I'd also like to add I suffer from low self esteem so going out in public for a walk is very stressful for me. This could have been why I never experienced positive mental changes from exercise. I hate being out and about as I don't like having skin out so I sweat like a pig and just feel horrible in general.

Oosh
20-01-16, 18:47
It can be a subtle improvement. I may notice I'm getting stuff done then I can link it to times of exercise. That can be in contrast to a prolonged period of no exercise and poor lifestyle where you generally feel subtly cloudy, lethargic, overwhelmed and find it hard to get through your to do list. That's when the effect of the new period of exercise becomes noticeable. But it may not be as noticeable if you weren't having those periods of non-exercise.

I can also notice an increase in enjoyment in simple every day things.
If I do cardio of a day I can very often notice that evening I'll really get into whatever I'm doing or watching on tv. I'll then want that again so will do it again (and in the past every day obsessively) every day but the feeling of wellbeing and enjoyment isn't always there on subsequent days making me realise the importance of the breaks in between.

I've even noticed how if I have a period of exercise then rest, after what seems like 7 days I observe I'm more humorous and laughing more. It's like I've completed a recovery period fully and for a while there's a positive bounce back effect. But again, it can't be relied upon indefinitely.

There are all sorts of things going on in the body and brain and I think it's about experimenting and observing what works for you.
Time of day
How long you need in between exercise
What fuel your bodies running on
Maybe you prefer early exercise on no fuel
Outside/inside exercise
What level do you need to reach to feel positive effects.

I'd imagine most people should be able to use exercise in some capacity to shake things up, clean things out and create some positive changes when you're generally feeling a bit yuck and samey.

KayeS
20-01-16, 19:11
I can only speak from personal experience, but I've been a gym-goer for over 10 years and whenever I am not training, usually due to anxiety, I feel terrible, and once I force myself to get back to the gym again, I find that my anxiety dramatically decreases. Also not only that, but I just feel generally in a better mood. The endorphins are real!

sl1nky
20-01-16, 21:45
Thanks for all the comments, i only exercised at that time of the night a year ago, probably a way of dealing with the stress my life was under then. Now i do cardio at around 8pm for 30 minutes every 2 days or so, it's hard to keep up, i never typically can do it in the morning. I'd give swimming a try but I never learnt how to swim unfortunately, the excess energy i have right now is very minimal. But im not feeling any benefits from doing the cardio every 2 days through the week unfortunately, i don't feel i have the energy to do anymore than that. :(

MyNameIsTerry
21-01-16, 04:41
How about switching it up?

It's a very common moan in the exercise world about how the body adapts to the exercise and then they don't feel much from it. That's why variation is always seen as a good way to keep your body guessing.

Whilst neurotransmitters are triggered by exercise, it makes sense that as you become more used to it, they may not trigger as easily or as much.

Magic
21-01-16, 14:36
I like to walk. I would love to go to the gym, but it's getting to it that bothers me.
I cannot drive, and I live out in the sticks.
At the moment I am painting the walls in the house, thats enough excersize for me.
In fact it takes things off my mind,and there is something I have achieved at the end of the day.
Just fed up of the tin steps creaking away.
It is theroputic for me though.:)

jimsmrs
21-01-16, 16:37
For the past couple of weeks I've being going to the gym twice a week, an aerobics class to music, it's like tame Zumba!! and they're a couple of guys in our classes!!
It has helped me loads with my anxiety, especially the social anxiety side of things,

Try varying what you take part in, instead of sticking to the same regime.
Most leisure facillities now have adult swimming classes, sign up for those too.