PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else addicted to checking their pulse?

sl1nky
19-01-16, 21:19
It started when I had my first panic attack, but now it's getting out of hand. I find myself putting my fingers up to my neck and checking my pulse maybe 4 times within the hour, and I'm not even sure what im looking for, im simply checking that my heart is beating at a good speed, which is the most stupidest reason :shrug:

I've become so addicted to it, i can estimate how fast my heart is going without even counting... I can now say i have a useless skill

little.miss.worry
19-01-16, 21:25
It started when I had my first panic attack, but now it's getting out of hand. I find myself putting my fingers up to my neck and checking my pulse maybe 4 times within the hour, and I'm not even sure what im looking for, im simply checking that my heart is beating at a good speed, which is the most stupidest reason :shrug:

I've become so addicted to it, i can estimate how fast my heart is going without even counting... I can now say i have a useless skill

Hey! I used to be obsessed with checking my pulse! Same reason as you when I had my first panic attack.. in time I found something else to obsess about.. as ya do ahaha

It's irritating I know, the only thing I suggest is try and take your mind off it.. like listening to music, playing on games etc. that's what I did! Then I forgot about it.. and like I said, obsessed about something else :roflmao:

sl1nky
19-01-16, 21:28
Hey! I used to be obsessed with checking my pulse! Same reason as you when I had my first panic attack.. in time I found something else to obsess about.. as ya do ahaha

It's irritating I know, the only thing I suggest is try and take your mind off it.. like listening to music, playing on games etc. that's what I did! Then I forgot about it.. and like I said, obsessed about something else :roflmao:

I find it's a psychological addiction, like smokers when they put a cigarette to their mouth, it's really stupid because i've started doing it in front of people :roflmao:

little.miss.worry
19-01-16, 21:31
I find it's a psychological addiction, like smokers when they put a cigarette to their mouth, it's really stupid because i've started doing it in front of people :roflmao:

It is!! :roflmao: oh gosh! well, i'm sure you will stop doing it soon you know :') you'll just end up forgetting about it then be like oh.. I haven't checked my pulse in a while ahaha

it'll be totally fine anyways! :D

sl1nky
19-01-16, 21:36
It is!! :roflmao: oh gosh! well, i'm sure you will stop doing it soon you know :') you'll just end up forgetting about it then be like oh.. I haven't checked my pulse in a while ahaha

it'll be totally fine anyways! :D

Yeah I hope so, been doing it for 2 years already! :doh: It don't help when im under anxious situations, i check my pulse, OF COURSE ITS FAST but i'll freak out about it anyway :roflmao:

little.miss.worry
19-01-16, 21:40
Yeah I hope so, been doing it for 2 years already! :doh: It don't help when im under anxious situations, i check my pulse, OF COURSE ITS FAST but i'll freak out about it anyway :roflmao:

Jesus, 2 years?! That's a long while to be doing it! and yeah, I think it's like a cycle isn't it! And after 2 years, you will find it hard to stop because it's part of your daily routine I presume!

sl1nky
19-01-16, 21:53
Jesus, 2 years?! That's a long while to be doing it! and yeah, I think it's like a cycle isn't it! And after 2 years, you will find it hard to stop because it's part of your daily routine I presume!

Pretty much, before i get the chance to stop myself im already checking it :doh:

little.miss.worry
19-01-16, 21:57
Pretty much, before i get the chance to stop myself im already checking it :doh:

That's usually the case, isn't it? :roflmao:

PlantsForHire
20-01-16, 00:28

I do this too and I find that it definitely worsens my anxiety state. I do cardio exercises and it's become a habit to check it while running/biking and get worried if it's too fast.

I just have to ask myself, "is checking my pulse going to help my anxiety/health?" and then boom I don't do it for like a week then I'm back at it.

I think many people with HA do this and it's just as bad of a habit as searching Google.

strongerthananxiety
20-01-16, 00:32
When a person exercises they usually do not worry about their pulse. Why would a person with anxiety worry about their pulse?

The thing about anxiety is that it uncomfortable but that does not mean it is dangerous. Acceptance plays a big part with anxiety because that is the only way we can truly overcome it. The more we fight it, it seems that the worse it becomes.

The way to overcome Anxiety/ Panic Attacks:

1. Accept the Fear

2. Face the Fear

3. Get Comfortable being Uncomfortable

4. Prove to yourself that the Fear is Harmless

nirvanainchains
20-01-16, 05:00
I seriously thought I am the only one doing it. Whenever I feel dizzy or whenever I am feeling something out of my body I would check my pulse, once or twice day. Health Anxiety really suck.

John Nozum
01-01-18, 08:19
This can be a complex issue, which most counselors are NOT truly equipped to handle. Around 25 years ago (early 1990's), I had RAMPANT medical addictions, including pulse, blood pressure, EKG's, and even those plastic forehead thermometer strips. It was so out of hand that my mother and my uncle thought maybe I should get professional counseling, which I did. I found that nearly EVERY ADDICTION that I had all had to do with TOUCH. I was liking the FEELING of getting my pulse taken, the FEELING of getting my blood pressure taken, the FEELING of EKG wires crawling all over my skin, and the FEELING of those plastic forehead thermometer strips held on my forehead. It wasn't really an "anxiety" or "hypochondria" issue, but was a TOUCH issue. I was born with Goldenhar's syndrome, and my mother didn't even get to SEE me until I was 11 days old, and got to see me only SPARINGLY for the first 2-3 months of my life, for I was mostly in HOSPITALS--and getting BRAINWASHED with medical culture. When I had counseling for the medical junk, I actually experienced CULTURAL SHOCK--without even living the country (United States)! Now yes, I may check my pulse after something scared the crap out of me or something, but THANK GOD I don't have the condition to where there is a true anxiety causing me to check my pulse, and then me getting more anxious because of it. Sometimes, I NOTICE my heart working unusually fast (getting my ATTENTION), and I may check it just out of curiosity. I don't really "worry" about it, but often have the attitude something like "I'm not surprised". I've also had the OPPOSITE happen, where I would feel unusually relaxed, and I may check my pulse just out of curiosity. However, I do get a CRAVING for a nice person taking my pulse--just largely due to the caring touch issue.

I managed to get over at least 90% of the medical junk and without any major relapses. So yes, this may be a multifaceted issue. In your counseling, please look into possible issues of loneliness, touch deprivation, excessive hospitalizations, and/or whatever may be applicable.

May God's peace be with you--in the name of Jesus!