PDA

View Full Version : Clenching teeth a new thing help

crazymum25
19-01-16, 22:55
Well I have started too clench my jaws giving me headaches earache n no sleep is this a form of Anxiety won't stop all through the Day

strongerthananxiety
20-01-16, 00:23
Jaw muscles can get tight due to stress and anxiety. Gentle massage might help.

rbm
20-01-16, 09:27
I get that too, i wake up and my jaw hurts, i have muscle spasms due to anxiety, try some calcium, magnesium, helps with the muscles and anxiety too.maybe some cream with calming effect but most importantly try to calm down

GingerFish
20-01-16, 12:28
I started to do this when I first started experiencing panic attacks and ended up with many cracked teeth and TMJ pain because of it. Its wise to talk to your dentist about a mouth guard as that would stop you from clenching your jaw. I had to get that as there was no way I could stop without it but then I ended up getting the cracked teeth out and there's not way my teeth can touch at the back now so I haven't been able to do it since. TMJ pain was the worst pain I had ever experienced and you want to nip clenching your teeth and jaw before it gets as bad as mine did. Working on lowering your overall stress and anxiety is the ultimate cure but while you work on this, a mouth guard would be handy.

swgrl09
20-01-16, 15:06
Yes, this happens to me and sometimes certain meds can make it worse. There are jaw stretches you can do to help relieve the muscle tension. They also sell mouth guards to help. I found stretching really helped and massage ... Terry posted a link to muscle trigger points for me a while back. It's around here somewhere. I'm on my phone so it's difficult to go find the link.

MyNameIsTerry
21-01-16, 07:30
Yes, this happens to me and sometimes certain meds can make it worse. There are jaw stretches you can do to help relieve the muscle tension. They also sell mouth guards to help. I found stretching really helped and massage ... Terry posted a link to muscle trigger points for me a while back. It's around here somewhere. I'm on my phone so it's difficult to go find the link.

Here it is:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=169782

The dentist told me to eat soft foods for a while and do this exercise before bed to help the muscles when he worked out I had been grinding in my sleep:

1. With mouth closed, touch tongue to roof.
2. Open mouth wide.
3. Close mouth & repeat.

I posted a guide to massaging & referred pain that may be helpful as it has some jaw massage in there:

mrsworry
19-02-16, 17:05
I to clench its called bruxism
I have a mouth guard and also a mouth splint but still do it my jaw muscles are shot and it gives me constant headaches some of which have been daily for weeks and I ended up with a cat scan but thankfully nothing more sinister at cause
I got a book on it which has good tips from Amazon might be with a read this is very common and I have 5 friends who all do it too