PDA

View Full Version : How long do anxiety/stress symptoms last after anxiety goes away?

Solidsimpson
20-01-16, 00:32
Hello all.

I had about 3 weeks of incredibly high stress and health anxiety (had to get a colonoscopy and that really freaked me out to the extreme. Found nothing that serious though so I'm happy about it finally.) It has been about a week since I have calmed down a lot but I am feeling the symptoms still and strongly.

My symptoms are fatigue in the head all day and occasional nausea. I thought these would have gone away once I felt mentally better but that's not the case.
Any idea how long this could last for? It's hard to function.

Thanks!

GingerFish
20-01-16, 11:53
From my experience after a highly stressful period or even a breakdown, it can take up to a month for me to fully bounce back and be rid of either all or most of the physical and mental symptoms caused by the stress or breakdown. I do notice though, every day I get better and better. It might not be mega obvious but little things I notice and over the days they build up and build up and I focus on that instead of "I'll never be better again"

Solidsimpson
20-01-16, 13:37
Thanks!

It just really sucks. I was so happy to be done with all my medical testing and expected to be in such high spirits but then got brought down by my stress after effects. It was kinda expected though.

Solidsimpson
25-01-16, 00:50
Anyone else have any thoughts? I was feeling better but then symptoms came back. Wondering how long this will last...

Fishmanpa
25-01-16, 01:13
Think of your anxiety like a campfire. The flames may die down but it takes a long time for the coals to totally go out. In the meantime, all it takes is a little fuel (any type of added stress) and the flames start up again. You had weeks in intense stress and anxiety. Expect it take as long to die down.

Positive thoughts

Solidsimpson
25-01-16, 01:25
Thanks a lot! I agree with you. Just sucks because I'm tempted to go to doctor with these stress symptoms to make sure it's not something else. I know it's just anxiety related though. Happened as soon as stress occurred. I'm just so sick of doctors and medical tests! Hope it won't last much longer!

turboswag
25-01-16, 08:57
Oh boy.. Anxiety can take a LONG time to go away. Even when you're not particularly feeling "stressed", the effects of anxiety hang around. This is because of how it affects the body, and over long periods of high stress (3 weeks!), your body starts to have a hard time bouncing back from the anxiety. Keep yourself calm and focus on relaxing thoughts -- your anxiety symptoms will go away with time:)