PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure High, not sure why?

OGNinjaDon
20-01-16, 09:28
Hi guys,

Recently i was experiencing some pretty painful headaches during intercourse, it would start about half way through for no real reason. This happened about 8 times and i though i better get this checked out. On the day of my appointment i was doing some heavy lifting and it started then as well. Usually starts and lasts for a few hours.

I saw my doctor and he immediately said, "Yes, it's your blood pressure". I actually felt pretty calm at that point, albeit with some anxiety about the whole thing but not too bad. I didn't catch the top reading but the bottom reading was 94 which was unusally high for me.

He gave me a home blood pressure monitor and asked me to record it twice a day. I have been doing so and getting really mixed results, in one evening and two occasions it read at about 126/78 which i consider to be pretty normal. Though later on at night it read at 139/90ish which i consider to be high blood pressure. I measured myself this morning, first reading 139/82, took it again straight after and 128/78.

Basically I am just trying to get an understanding of what is normal for people with anxiety, especially since i have worries about my heart etc.

Is it normal for it to be all over the place?

I am only 24, relatively healthy, white (this actually matters), and my diet is not extreme and i don't drink a large amount, nor do i smoke.

Could anybody shed any light on this please, do I need some meds to lower it? Should i try lower it naturally, is this just completely normal?

hheavenlyangel
20-01-16, 12:19
My husband had high blood pressure. His was ridiculously high. Yes it is normal. His dr said it even differs depending on which arm you use! Just keep recording your results and take it into your doc. No biggie.

Wickers
20-01-16, 16:40
If you look at the statistics, once you're over 40 years of age about 40% of the population have high blood pressure (over 140/90). At your age it is still very common.
My blood pressure when measured at home hovers around the 140/90 mark. Remember that measuring it at home you are still prone to higher readings because you worry what the machine will say. At the doctors it usually measures 160/95 and once in hospital it went up to 180/120 !!
I wore a 24hr ambulatory BP monitor recently. My 24hr average was about 120/80 and went down to 95/70 whilst asleep. When I looked at the printout the readings spiked at the moment I was called by my garage to say the repair bill had gone up £300.
Yes. Anxiety places a huge difference to your blood pressure if you are prone to it. My doctor told me high blood pressure is unlikely to cause headaches. The headaches are probably tension headaches, which are very common, and of course, if you are tense your blood pressure goes up, not the other way around.
Your reading seem acceptable and a doctor would probably just keep on eye on it occassionally.
Just what every anxious person doesn't want to hear but don't worry about it. Take care.

Fishmanpa
20-01-16, 17:23
I was told to get a BP monitor by my cardiologist and record it once a day as I have cardio vascular disease and BP issues. She also adjusted my meds and wanted me to keep track. Joy Joy right?

So I bought one and there's a method to it. First off, you should measure it the same time every day and be sitting and relaxed for at least ten minutes before you do so.

It sounds about right that you got the two different readings, the lower being the 2nd time and that's in the normal range.

Many things, including stress and anxiety can and will cause your BP to go up. I wouldn't stress about it. You're young and it sounds like you're in good health. Your doctor is just doing his job (and unfortunately adding to your anxiety by having you check).

Positive thoughts

PlantsForHire
20-01-16, 22:44
I was told to get a BP monitor by my cardiologist and record it once a day as I have cardio vascular disease and BP issues. She also adjusted my meds and wanted me to keep track. Joy Joy right?

So I bought one and there's a method to it. First off, you should measure it the same time every day and be sitting and relaxed for at least ten minutes before you do so.

It sounds about right that you got the two different readings, the lower being the 2nd time and that's in the normal range.

Many things, including stress and anxiety can and will cause your BP to go up. I wouldn't stress about it. You're young and it sounds like you're in good health. Your doctor is just doing his job (and unfortunately adding to your anxiety by having you check).

Positive thoughts

Just like Fishmanpa said you need to take the proper steps to get an accurate reading. So take it at the same time everyday (preferable not towards the afternoon/late afternoon). Wait 1 hour after exercising or eating. When it's time to take it:

1. Get comfortable. Make sure you're properly hydrated and the temperature in the room is comfortable. Both extremes of temperature can raise blood pressure.
2. Wait 5~10 minutes before measuring and really relax into your chair like you're a noodle
3. Take it, if it's high the first time take it 1 minute later, if it's high the second time take it 1 minute later again, etc.
4. Always discard the first reading if it's pretty high. I usually get 140-150/90 as soon as I sit down (which you should never do) and then it levels off to 120/80 the more I relax and measure.
5. Don't obsess over your blood pressure readings. Take it max 5 times and if it was a little high wait until the next day or week. Also never take it if you even feel one bit anxious.
6. Stay joyful! :D Mood, exercise, and diet improve blood pressure readings!

Also, when you're getting your BP measured at the doctor's don't be afraid to tell them that you're feeling anxious and the reading could be a little high. They will always give you time and space to relax if this is the case or will just disregard if it is high and you get normal numbers at home. Many people have white-coat syndrome and it is not uncommon for people to ask doctors to let them relax!

P.S. 135/85 is considered high normal and is nothing to worry about.