PDA

View Full Version : Blood in stool question (tmi and possible trigger).

KeeKee
20-01-16, 14:11
I've basically noticed blood in my stool 2 or 3 times. This only ever happens when I'm on my period (definitely not period blood) and only once per period. It's bright red and I know that's normally a 'good' sign, but I did quickly Google color cancer symptoms earlier (I know I shouldn't have) and it does say it can be bright red if it's near the rectum. It happened again this morning (I'm on but nearing end so no bleeding really today), but wasn't in my stool and was actually on the toilet paper afterwards. It was bright red and after around 4 wipes it was gone. Was definitely the back passage. Strangely enough I did mention the blood in stool to the GP yesterday as I wanted to get all my little worries out the way and I've been for a blood test today to check fbc and if there's any inflammation. I've had what I would describe as 'mushy' stools for almost a year now and just thought it'd be anxiety so never mentioned it prior but now I'm so worried. I've never noticed it when not menstruating and Endometriosis has crossed my mind bit the GP didn't seem to think it was that. I'm just scared it could be that and as I've had mushy stools for probably around a year, I'm scared I've had something dodgy for that long. I did have a stool test in late '14 as I had mucus in stools (still do) but it was clear.
I know anxiety can wreak havoc on our bowels, when I'm very anxious I can go to the loo 3 times even before dinnertime and I'm usually once a day on a morning like clockwork, but with the blood and I am very tired lately I'm scared it could actually be something this time. The GP did say there's nothing wrong with me and I need to focus on getting my mental health better and I don't believe they would have said there's nothing wrong with you if they thought there was and just sent me for the tests to make sure. However I'm also worried they think I'm 'imagining' the blood due to it being when I am actually menstruating and that is why they aren't worried.
I have wondered about endo for around 5 years now as my first bowel movement after turning is very painful and feels like I'm about to give birth! But I've never had any bleeding until these last few periods.

I'd also like to add that I am so lucky to have this GP. They never make me feel like I am time-wasting, they always appear to take my worries seriously and make me feel at ease as they know I am so anxious. I've been so lucky in that respect. I hope this GP stays here forever as I don't know where I'd be without them.

Hopefulmi
20-01-16, 14:49
It could just be a haemorrhoid or your period but ask your GP for a calprotectin test. I had one recently and it detects any inflammation in the bowel, very good test apparently. Mine was fine even though I get bleeding occasionally xx

KeeKee
20-01-16, 14:55
Thanks for the reply I've had blood tests today, one was to detect inflammation but I thinks it's a generalised one not a bowel one. I've thought about haemorrhoids but as I have mushy stools I never ever need to strain so I can't see how I'd have them. Also would hemorrhoids only bleed when I'm on? It definitely isn't my period the times its been in my stool it was entwined in it, not on it or anything. Admittedly today when I noticed the blood it was a little sore when I went so I do wonder if it could be a hemorrhoid and maybe the menstrual cycle irritates it?
Aaarrgh! I can't wait for the results! Usually take 3 days so it'll be Monday :-(
Thanks again

Hopefulmi
20-01-16, 17:42
Mushy stools can still cause roids I got my really bad ones after terrible diarrhoea. Feel better soon bright red blood is usually nothing untoward xx

KeeKee
20-01-16, 17:49
Thank you so much. Hopefully it's just that then. I have no history of bowel problems within my family, not even IBS so fingers crossed. I'm worried that if my tests come back normal (which I want of course), I have no confirmation of hemorrhoids so I'll be stewing over what could have caused it. Guess there's no sense in worrying until I get my results

MyNameIsTerry
21-01-16, 04:56
It's bright red and I know that's normally a 'good' sign, but I did quickly Google color cancer symptoms earlier (I know I shouldn't have) and it does say it can be bright red if it's near the rectum

That really sticks out for me, KeeKee. You purposely searched for what you fear, a classic issue of Confirmation Bias. When you find it as a symptom, you believe it's relevant. Without searching for every other possibility, and using any differentiation over the cancer symptoms, you can't possibly find the many other things it could be.

Your GP knows this, they are trained in what to look for. However, your GP is also trained in what to look for that proves it can't be that.

I think you have got a good GP. Some GP's just push people off for tests or worse "reassurance tests" which are just not needed. Your GP understands that he/she needs to stop your anxiety advancing further and is unwilling to use reassurance testing knowing that it will only reinforce the cycle and add to the disorder. More GP's should be like this!

Something which sticks out in this is that it is happening when you have your period. Why would colon cancer stop exhibiting symptoms the rest of the time?

Roids can certainly cause this but whether they are influenced by periods, I'm not sure. They would be influenced by too much wiping, straining, rough toilet paper, poor diet, underwear can irritate external ones, some people have flare up when drinking alcohol, etc. Certainly if you hadn't mentioned it was only during periods, I would say roids are a very likely (and common and easily treated) possibility. That's not to say it isn't, I just don't know about the periods.

Soreness when going it a good indicator of roids. They can itch too.

Testing for roids is simple, your GP can do that there in the surgery. They just perform an external & internal examination involving a finger, a glove and some jelly. If they are unsure, they can refer you for an internal examination like a sigmoidoscopy. I've had both but my GP had diagnosed them years before but wanted to check them further as they were still bothered me. Nothing came of it, it was just a check to be safe I guess.

I've had roids for about 20 years now. When I have the runs, they flare up. If I eat a really big meal that causes me to have the runs straight after, they flare up. So, loose stools can be connected and whilst I wasn't straining, the frequency can cause the flare ups (with the runs) and even those singular loose stools must be placing stress on them in some way to cause that in me.

And don't worry when I say 20 years. I had some years treating them when they first developed but in the last 15 years they have seldom been an issue and haven't needed treatment.

How did I get roids? I used to lift weights back then. It's common in weight lifters due to the straining. So, even though you think you may not be straining, you could be, just not on the toilet. If you are having a lot of muscular tension in that area, that may be a factor.

KeeKee
22-01-16, 15:25
Thanks MyNameIsTerry,
You raised a good point in saying that colon cancer wouldn't just show symptoms during my period. It happened again the other night though and it scared me. I'm nearing the end of my period now and there's no mistaking this was from the back.
I'm just going to wait and see what my test results show they should back by Monday as I'm normally told 3 days and I'll go from there. If they come back normal though I don't know whether to wait until it happens again or go back and ask the GP what could have caused it.
I also don't think Haemorrhoids would only get irritated due to that time of the month and honestly I never need to strain nor do I do any exercises or anything. I Google piles as it's not scary and the risk factors include being overweight and pregnant and I am neither. I just don't believe it's them but I do think it's something. Although not necessarily the big C as your correct, it wouldn't just occur during that time of the month.
My diet isn't great although it hasnt changed recently so can't see why it'd bring those on. I don't drink alcohol.

The only other thing I can think of that would only occur when on my period is Endometriosis. But again, the GP didn't think it was that. Roll on Monday.

KeeKee
25-01-16, 11:20
I got my results back today and everything is normal. Now I don't know what to do. I don't know whether to see if it happens again and go back. Or just go back anyway and ask what could be causing it. I sometimes feel like I need to go too and when I try I don't actually need it. I don't know what to do I'm worried it's a polyp or something and it could turn into something nasty. I haven't had a 'normal' bowel movement for as long as I can remember.

MyNameIsTerry
25-01-16, 11:33
KeeKee,

I didn't know whether periods can cause issues with roids but a quick bit of Googling pulls up results that show due to hormonal change and how that causes hardness of stool, it can be possible for a period to aggravate them. Given how it was saying the hard stool could rub the roids as it passes, that sounds like a possibility.

I wonder if you have internal roids but they either haven't been bothering you much outside of your periods, whether they are fairly new or whether due to your bowel movement issues you just haven't realised them yet? Or perhaps a combination of those factors.

So, I don't think you should lose sight of that as a possibility and your GP can easily check that with an examination.

Don't worry about those risk factors, anyone can get roids, they are so common. I've not been pregnant and have them :winks:...although I've put on some weight and I'm starting to look that way :biggrin: They happen in pregnancy for a reason, pushing and the foetus itself and in people overweight the diet is bound to be a factor in that.

KeeKee
25-01-16, 11:53
Thank you for responding MyNameIsTerry.
I've never had hard stools though, they are always 'mushy' and when I'm on I'm prone to Diarrhea.
Plus the first time I noticed it it was in my stool not on the loo roll like it was last week. So I don't get how that could have happened although that was around 3 months ago now so I've forgotten exactly what colour, maybe it was actually purple and food colouring or something. I get strange pains everywhere too I know anxiety can cause this but I get a strange pain in my bum and also in the front where I imagine my cervix is. But I also get a sharp pain in my left breast and in my right eyeball now and again so I know they can't all be something nasty. I just can't stand the not knowing even if it is piles I'd rather that be confirmed. I'm quite confident I don't have external piles for reasons I'll not go into hehe but it certainly could be internal.

I also know this is my mind floating away but I'm still slowly losing what I think is my antidepressant weight. Its coming off slowly but I'm not dieting or anything I've always been a pig and I just wonder. This past year I've felt so tired and I have really puffy eyes and dark circles. It's really getting me down.

I feel so sorry for my doctor mentioning all these worries I've had 3 blood tests this past year!

Thanks again.

unspoken
25-01-16, 14:47
Hi KeeKee. Seems like this is a thread where it's ok to share personal toileting details. I have suffered on and off with anal fissures rather than haemorrhoids. I've had the area examined by GPs a few times and they've confirmed the diagnosis. It seems I have a skin tag there which gets irritated sometimes and gets inflamed and can get grazed by bowel movements, causing it to bleed. It isn't just constipation that can do this, apparently loose movements can be acidic which can cause irritation too. Sometimes I feel pain but sometimes I see blood without any pain. I've been prescribed suppositories and also a mild steroid cream and both have helped at different times. If you have an anal fissure that is internal, apparently there aren't pain receptors there or something so you wouldn't necessarily feel it. Periods can do all sorts of things so it doesn't seem unreasonable that some kind of hormonal change or the physical cramping could be causing some kind of irritation and therefore bleeding. Has your GP performed a physical examination?

As Terry said, logically it wouldn't make sense for you to only have cancer symptoms during one week each month. I'm glad you have found a good GP who is prepared to listen to your concerns.

KeeKee
25-01-16, 21:13
Thank you for your reply unspoken.
No my GP didn't examine me and Haemorrhoids weren't even mentioned surprisingly.
It makes sense about loose stools being acidic because when I'm very anxious and get Diarrhea I do tend to get sore. Sorry about the grossness of this thread!
I may just wait until my next period and make sure I'm 100% sure it's from the back as I'm starting to question myself now. I was told by the GP that the blood test I've just got the results for would signal if I was bleeding from anywhere I shouldn't be and I'm sure I bled on the morning of the blood test from behind so surely it would have shown up as inflammation in the test.
My GP is absolutely lovely, in regards to both my anxiety and depression and is very patient with me.

MyNameIsTerry
26-01-16, 07:24
That's interesting, unspoken. I think I mentioned earlier how loose stools irritate my roids, even one loose stool after a very large meal at times. Acidic stools must be why that happens to me and this might be relevant too for KeeKee because I don't have that everytime I have loose stools either.

Maybe the GP just saw the need to rule the other issues out first on this occasion. I think it's worth talking about and them doing an examination to see, if they think it could be this...your GP might have reasons for not doing it because they don't think it's possible but only they can put your mind at rest there.

You mentioned on the other thread about all the weight antidepressants caused you to put on and it's bound to take a bit of time to sort itself out. So, be wary of attaching all sorts of symptoms together and like we all think, cancer just wouldn't come & go like that. I get the eyeball pains myself, sometimes due to fatigue/tiredness, bad heads, eyestrain, etc so there could be many very simple reason for that.

And I have had fatigue most days for a lot of 2015 and it is very frustrating so I understand how you feel on that. I have some concerns about it being something else but I'm not worried about anything serious. Anxiety can do it too but I've not found it to be so long running in the past with me but then again symptoms do change.

KeeKee
26-01-16, 16:58
Thanks again for replying MyNameIsTerry.
I've got a suspicion they maybe thought I was mistaking the blood for menstruation and were just making sure with the tests. I hope not though as I'm 99.9% sure it's not that.
I have to go back in around 3 weeks for a prescription so I'll mention it again and see what they say.
You are right in regards to attaching symptoms. Before I quit ssris I did a lot of Google searching on them and some people didn't even start losing the weight until 2 years off so it does makes sense that it could slowly come off over a couple of years.
I'm the same in regards to the fatigue. I've never felt the way I do and it worries me it could be something serious but j do just think it's a deficiency of some sort. Maybe Vitamin D, I have no idea but I don't really want to mention it to the doctor because there are so many deficiencies that can cause tiredness. Its horrible though even if it is just a deficiency it makes me miserable every day and just a few hours out the house exhaust me.

Thank you for replying again.