PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics and resistant bacteria!

Njoy704
20-01-16, 19:24
I was prescribed amoxicillin for bronchitis and ear/sinus infection. I've only taken 4 days of the prescribed course and I get mild ithing and mild dizziness. The doctor then prescribed Levaquin. I'm scared to stop the amoxicillin to start a different antibiotic because I don't want to get a bacteria resistant strain from stopping the amoxicillin. What if the bacteria amoxicillin was suppose to kill survive levaquin and become stronger? Then I'm pretty much in deep doo doo. So, is it safe to switch from amoxicillin to levaquin? Do they kill the same bacteria?

Gary A
20-01-16, 22:56
The doctor has switched medications as you were getting side effects. There is no way that a strain of bacteria will build up a resistance to an antibiotic after only taking it for four days. Levaquin will do the exact same job as amoxicillin, although hopefully without the side effects. You do not need to worry, just take your medication.

MyNameIsTerry
20-01-16, 23:02
This is your anxiety talking. What you doctor is doing is a common practice and they treat millions of people for infections so if this was a possibility it would be a worldwide issue - but it's not.

Follow the advice and the infection will go. If it were possible for resistance to be built so quickly, millions of people would have developed it. I have taken many courses earlier in my life and have no issues.