PDA

View Full Version : Heart stop?!!?! What?

sl1nky
20-01-16, 22:09
My girlfriend told me that her friend told her... (yeah it goes like this)
that if you think about, or monitor your heart beat too much it could stop?
IS THIS TRUE!?! I don't want to google... :scared15::scared15::scared15::scared15::scared15: :scared15:

Gary A
20-01-16, 22:28
Complete and utter nonsense.

Lifelonganxiety!
20-01-16, 22:32
No, it's not true.

While you can have some control of your heartbeat in some ways (exercising, deep breaths etc...) it is an entirely autonomous process that is responding to your actions. You cannot control your heart by simply thinking about it or monitoring it - no matter how hard you try.

sl1nky
20-01-16, 22:35
No, it's not true.

While you can have some control of your heartbeat in some ways (exercising, deep breaths etc...) it is an entirely autonomous process that is responding to your actions. You cannot control your heart by simply thinking about it or monitoring it - no matter how hard you try.

Thank God. :yesyes: I just got terrified as soon as i heard this, i was obviously like "it can't be true" but then i started questioning it more :huh:

MyNameIsTerry
20-01-16, 23:07
Complete and utter nonsense.

↑ this

You have more control over your breathing, which is also autonomous. If you hold your breath, what happens? It will take over and force you.

These functions are beyond our control, anxious minds forget that they have been existing since birth without conscious intervention.

Good to see you, Gary :D

Gary A
20-01-16, 23:19
Good to see you, Gary :D

Hi Terry.

Just thought I'd pop back and see how things are. :yesyes:

PlantsForHire
20-01-16, 23:20
That's actually a really bad thing to tell an anxious person even though you know full well that it's complete bologna. :doh: All of us would be dead if that was the case. :roflmao:

nirvanainchains
21-01-16, 00:19
My girlfriend told me that her friend told her... (yeah it goes like this)
that if you think about, or monitor your heart beat too much it could stop?
IS THIS TRUE!?! I don't want to google... :scared15::scared15::scared15::scared15::scared15: :scared15:

I don't know if this topic you made is just here for a joke/humor or really serious. Nonsense and childish question.