PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting medication...

sl1nky
20-01-16, 22:54
So in the past I've been too afraid to even pop a paracetamol in my mouth, over some time I've gradually accepted that every pill won't kill me and may aid my recovery when im sick or something.

Though I understand anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication can hold different and uncomfortable side effects. However I wish to consult my doctor because having started a new job my anxiety has been out of this world, almost making me afraid to leave the house on some occasions with the addition of a verity of symptoms such as dizziness and fatigue.

I know you can't just go to the doctors and ask for medications like these, so i'm hoping if I pitch my case, maybe present him/her with the anxiety records I've been keeping the past week, he may consider prescribing me them, i already have CBT therapy.

Has this worked for anyone else? I want my doctor to see that i'm really having a hard time struggling with anxiety and need help.

MyNameIsTerry
28-01-16, 05:38
GP's are very happy to dish out meds for anxiety disorders, there are so many of them that treat them like sweeties! Getting therapy is the harder thing. GP's struggle getting people into that and often, and lazily, opt for the cheap & easy meds route.

But if your anxiety may not be treatable in therapy, they can opt for the meds route or a combination.

So, don't worry about that. Just tell them how you feel, present any evidence about your anxiety patterns as it will only help them and they can tune out anything in there they don't need.

NOTE: I know you have already seen your GP since this but this is just for future reference as you are worrying unnecessarily here.