PDA

View Full Version : What meds is everyone taking for their OCD?

Tinkerbell200
25-02-07, 20:37
Im currently on Sertraline 150mg (Lustral) which is helping abit but im not completely free of it :mad: what is everyone else taking? think I might have to try CBT too...

Karen
25-02-07, 20:47
Hi Tinkerbell

I have OCD but I am not on any medication - my choice. I am trying to deal with this, along with other issues, with CBT and it does help. I've only had 4 sessions so far so it is early days but I believe it will help me get through this in the end.

Have you asked to be referred?

Karen

Tinkerbell200
25-02-07, 21:46
thanks for your reply Karen, what kind of things do you do at your CBT sessions? and how long were you on the waiting list? my doc suggested meds first as there is such a long waiting list for CBT in my area! :mad: can you imagine yourself free of OCD? I really dont want this for the rest of my life! My problem is mainly checking things ie. doors, windows, plug sockets etc.. and I have to do everything in multiples of 4! Can I ask what kind of things you do?

Thx again

Karen
25-02-07, 22:46
Hi Tinkerbell

I am paying for private CBT after a rather frustrating time trying to get it on the NHS. It would be good to ask your doctor to refer you and get your name on the list even if it is long. The sooner you're on the list the sooner you'll hopefully get to see anyone.

My OCD is related to worry about people I care about being hurt and checking that they are ok. The thought in my head is that if I don't check then one of them will be hurt. This is something I have started challenging after my CBT session this week. With my therapist I wrote a rational response to my fear, rated how much I currently believe the rational thought (scale of 1-100%) and then set out a schedule for gradually increasing the time between checking very slowly.

My therapist also said to repeat the 'rational' thought to myself whenever I feel anxious and feel the compulsion to carry out my ritual and to let the thoughts come and go. It's not easy.

I also have a lot of rituals and compulsions associated with my eating disorder surrounding not handling food or anything that food has come into contact with - almost like a germ fear except mine is of calories in food - I know it sounds mad :wacko: .

In therapy I am also working on a list of goals and then we will work at breaking the goals down into smaller steps - and tackling my OCD rituals are one part of that.

There is some general information about CBT under 'Therapy' on the side menu here.

I can identify with your checking problems. Relaxation and anxiety management is also good. I use hypnotherapy CDs/downloads mainly. There is a good download for Obsessive Checking (http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/downloads/hypnotherapy/obsessive-checking.html?1388) that you might like to try.

As for hope for getting better - yes I have to otherwise there would be nowhere to head towards. If I didn't have some hope and faith in recovery, CBT and this therapist I wouldn't be paying out for sessions.

It is a long road but you can get there.

Karen xx

Tinkerbell200
26-02-07, 19:17
thanks Karen I will ask my doctor to refer me think it will help. Oh by the way your not mad, when I was growing up and I had OCD I thought I was mad and didnt know for ages that its an actual recognised problem. Its so nice to speak to people that are going through what I am. Takecare xx