PDA

View Full Version : Low White Blood Cell Count Freaking OUT!

stressedanxious
21-01-16, 15:13
So I got my blood work done yesterday and they found out I have a low white blood cell count, and I need to go back in 2 weeks to get re-tested. I am seriously freaking out of my mind. I cant eat, I cant sleep. I still get really hot during the middle of the night, I am just so worried why I am having these symptoms. This just sucks, if its not one thing its another :( I feel scared.

ellie_C_mason1990
21-01-16, 15:38
this has also happened to me today so you are not alone!
been doing a lot of reading and it is important not to jump to worse case scenario, low WBC can be due to certain vitamin deficiencies (are you a vegetarian?), infections you have caught (often don't always show symptoms and then you pass them on) and I've read a few articles that say stress could be a factor. It sounds like you are very anxious so it could be it and the getting hot in the night could be an infection!

A lot of forums I have read are people who just have a low white blood cell count for years and doctors never find a reason why.
I know it is difficult not to worry (I feel quite calm at the minute but in an hour I will probably burst into tears) but over the next 2 weeks there is nothing you can personally do about it and when you have your second blood test and they find out nothing is wrong you will be kicking yourself for wasting 2 weeks lost in worry and anxiety.

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

also, if you search 'low white blood cell' in the search bar at the top, you can read all the many people who have had similar happen to them, which I often find reassuring. the replies also help to reassure too.

white1989
21-01-16, 15:50
I have had this exact same diagnosis! immediate panic set in fearing the worst and I thought there's no way I can wait this week for another blood test to find out! made an appointment to speak to the doctor who was really reassuring, I put it out there and said I was fearing blood cancer and he said absolutely not, in someone where blood cancer was suspected they would be finding a result of an EXTREMELY high white blood cell count, like very very high and they would send you off for immediate further testing. he told me that a slightly low WBC count is highly normal, he sees it all the time, and it is usually to do with being run down or an infection such as a common cold! so try not to worry, I'm sure that things will be absolutely fine! best wishes x

stressedanxious
21-01-16, 16:26
I just can't take this, this is crazy. I just am terrified this is something bad. I just hate this. How am I going to survive the next two weeks ? I can barely make it through the hour without crying my eyes out. I feel so worried. I hate sleeping at night, it sucks, I just can't take this.

Fishmanpa
21-01-16, 18:04
I know you were looking into getting help a month ago...

im seeking therapy .

How's that going? Why not pick up the phone and call your therapist (if you have one) or the local mental health hotline and speak with someone? You could always call SAMHASA www.samhsa.gov and they could refer you to someone.

Positive thoughts

stressedanxious
22-01-16, 00:27
I don't have health insurance, I don't have support. I hate this. I hate this so much, I can't eat I can't sleep, I seriously don't know why my white blood cell count is low, I am so scared its something serious. I hate this so much. I am so worried :(( I don't know how to handle this. I feel like a little kid. I am so depressed, I hate this so much, and I can't stand my life this way.

Lifelonganxiety!
22-01-16, 00:33
I'm not sure there's a lot we can tell you to calm you down here. Except that white blood cell counts are common when you've been fighting a virus. You might not even know you've been fighting one if your body won before it caused symptoms!

I had low WBC once, yes I was worried so they tested me again a few days later and it was fine. Please, do not get yourself so worked up over something you can't control at this time.

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Can you say what your count was anyway? Was it just marginally low? Keep in mind most places have a different definition of a normal range as well.

Fishmanpa
22-01-16, 00:38
You don't need insurance to make a phone call. You don't need insurance to see if you qualify for assistance or support. What's the worse thing that can happen? Nothing? Trying is better than not trying.

Good luck and positive thoughts

stressedanxious
22-01-16, 00:51
It was like 2 something I can't remember . Ugh I am terrified :((( I seriously don't know what to do anymore, nothing interests me, I can't watch tv, i can't listen to music, i don't feel like talking to anyone on the phone, this is just terrible. I just can't even believe this anymore, i just feel like I'm in a nightmare.

sandie
22-01-16, 08:13
Can you go onto YouTube and find some relaxing meditation music; perhaps lay in your bed and just listen to the music to see if it helps you get some sleep. I am sure if you get some sleep you will feel better and start seeing things a little differently.

You are obviously very anxious and when we are in this highly acute state of mind it is difficult to focus and see things for what they really are. Your WBC count is fine - there is nothing to worry about so please do your best to put this out of your mind. You have had an infection (hence the antibiotics), and this will have affected your WBC so please take some comfort and reassurance that everything is okay.

I know you have a young baby and are breastfeeding, and it is important to look after your health for his/her sake. You can do this by trying to get some rest, drinking fluids and eating something - even a simple sandwich.

Anxiety is a cruel illness and all of what you describe are symptoms of acute anxiety.

Find some nice calming meditation music, try to do some breathing exercises and stop fighting sleep - especially as I know you have posted elsewhere how very tired you are.

Lots of support on this site - so you are not alone.

stressedanxious
23-01-16, 10:16
It's hard to believe I'm fine when I'm feeling so cold and having chills . Seriously I'm so scared . I cAnt take this .:(((((

KeeKee
23-01-16, 10:27
If I was in a similar situation to you I'd also be scared as that's the way our health anxiety works. However, given the fact you now have chills and are freezing does that not prove to you you are coming down with something and that is why your white blood cells were out of whack?on Christmas night I felt really ill, chills and felt freezing, sweating all through the night and then the next morning I felt severely fatigued and dizzy. The next day I was back to my normal self. I bet had I had a blood test taken aroind that time my white blood cells would also have been low. It definitely sounds like you have or are getting a virus and whilst nobody likes to be ill I'd feel reassured by that.

stressedanxious
23-01-16, 10:31
This can't all be in my head, I'm terrified I'm dying. Ugh I feel so sick I can't even eat or drink anything because I'm so depressed over this. I can't wait two weeks to get my blood re tested. I'm so freaking scared. I literally cannot take this. Im going crazy wondering why my body is doing this to me. I'm seriously feeling like I'm having a break down. I just want my body to feel normal again !!! I want to freaking stop being hot stop being cold. That's all !! These symptoms are driving me completely insane .its been going on for like a month now.. I'm terrified :(( I'm seriously so scared my life is ending .

stressedanxious
23-01-16, 18:06
I just checked my temperature and its 100.00 I am seriously so scared, I can't take this.

swgrl09
23-01-16, 20:26
It sounds like you are fighting a virus or something, which would cause decreased WBC. The SLIGHT temp would support this. Mine is always at the low end of normal (3ish) and my doctor was never concerned.

KeeKee
23-01-16, 21:18
A quick Google search tells me that a temperature in an adult is 38 degrees Celsius or 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.
So I'd say you are borderline, I bet you've had a virus hence why your white blood cells were lower and I bet they'll be back to normal next blood test. I know it's worrying I'm the same worry about everything and I can only imagine how you feel, but you are saying you feel shaky and cold these are indicative of a temperature which is indicative of a virus. I had the same in December. Even a cold can cause these symptoms. I believe somebody else mentioned if you type the same problem into the search function of the site, many others have had the same issue.

Sparkling_Fairy
23-01-16, 21:32
I had my bloods done in December and had as lightly low WBC. She said she wouldn't even have mentioned it to me had I not asked, 'cause this happens to people a lot around this time of year. A lot of us are fighting off something.
And 2 days after I had my blood taken, I came down with a nasty cold!
You're more than likely fighting off a cold or a flu and a lot of people this time of year would have low WBC. Don't worry about it too much.
She didn't even want to re-do mine but she knows I had anxiety and offered it to put my mind at ease, as she wasn't worried in the slightest

Fishmanpa
23-01-16, 21:47
I agree that this is most likely some viral thing going on. There's a lot of "crud" going around for sure. I posted this in another thread of yours and you didn't respond:

S&A

It's always hard to see someone suffering so greatly to the point of not being able to process advice, reassurance or help themselves. You've had a couple of life changing experiences in the last 6 months from a divorce to the baby to what in all respects is crippling anxiety as has been documented here.

You say there's no one to help but there are social services and places you can call to at least get a caring human being on the other end of the line. All states and larger cities have mental health hotlines (that's something you should Google) and SAMHASA www.samhsa.gov can refer you to someone. You may also qualify for insurance, benefits and/or mental health help at no or very little cost to you based on your situation. I suggested you call but it appears you're in a such a spiral you can't even bring yourself to do so. You're crying out for help on the forum but these are only words. You have to act on your own behalf to help yourself.

Give it a shot. You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain if they can help.

You're asking for help and you're getting reassurance but as we know, reassurance is a short term fix at best and is useless when you're in a really bad spiral. IMO, based on what I've read here and elsewhere from your posts, real life support would help you tremendously. Even if it were a friendly and understanding voice on the other end of the phone. Please look into what is available for you. You've dealing with a lot right now and need a lifeline other than an internet forum to help yourself and your child (Oh, and ditch the thermometer, self checking your temperature is feeding your anxiety).

I truly hope to hear you're doing better.

Good luck and as always

Positive thoughts

js1803
23-01-16, 23:03
I just checked my temperature and its 100.00 I am seriously so scared, I can't take this.

How much water have you drank today?

stressedanxious
23-01-16, 23:42
It sounds like you are fighting a virus or something, which would cause decreased WBC. The SLIGHT temp would support this. Mine is always at the low end of normal (3ish) and my doctor was never concerned.

I know but this has been going on for a month.

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

A quick Google search tells me that a temperature in an adult is 38 degrees Celsius or 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.
So I'd say you are borderline, I bet you've had a virus hence why your white blood cells were lower and I bet they'll be back to normal next blood test. I know it's worrying I'm the same worry about everything and I can only imagine how you feel, but you are saying you feel shaky and cold these are indicative of a temperature which is indicative of a virus. I had the same in December. Even a cold can cause these symptoms. I believe somebody else mentioned if you type the same problem into the search function of the site, many others have had the same issue.

I am too scared to google, I just am seriously freaking out. Its just too many symptoms. The fevers, the blood work, the coldness, the loss of appeitite. I just can't do this, I just can't believe its just anxiety. Its been going on for a month, Im so worried its something deadly. I feel so terrible, I don't know how I am going to go through this night.

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

I had my bloods done in December and had as lightly low WBC. She said she wouldn't even have mentioned it to me had I not asked, 'cause this happens to people a lot around this time of year. A lot of us are fighting off something.
And 2 days after I had my blood taken, I came down with a nasty cold!
You're more than likely fighting off a cold or a flu and a lot of people this time of year would have low WBC. Don't worry about it too much.
She didn't even want to re-do mine but she knows I had anxiety and offered it to put my mind at ease, as she wasn't worried in the slightest

I wouldn't be as scared of the low WBC if I didn't have the fevers.. Thats what makes everything worse and scarier for me.

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

I agree that this is most likely some viral thing going on. There's a lot of "crud" going around for sure. I posted this in another thread of yours and you didn't respond:

You're asking for help and you're getting reassurance but as we know, reassurance is a short term fix at best and is useless when you're in a really bad spiral. IMO, based on what I've read here and elsewhere from your posts, real life support would help you tremendously. Even if it were a friendly and understanding voice on the other end of the phone. Please look into what is available for you. You've dealing with a lot right now and need a lifeline other than an internet forum to help yourself and your child (Oh, and ditch the thermometer, self checking your temperature is feeding your anxiety).

I truly hope to hear you're doing better.

Good luck and as always

Positive thoughts

I clicked the link and I will see what they can do , but I don't have much money to go for therapy or something, I just want to feel better physically you know? If I didn't have fevers I wouldn't be as worried. But this has been going on for a while now, and its just really scaring me. It should of stopped by now.

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

How much water have you drank today?

like 3 mugs

stressedanxious
24-01-16, 10:27
I've been feeling cold all night I don't understand why. My heat is on. Um terrified :((((

Masonn
24-01-16, 11:16
Your posts prove you're very stressed and anxious and this is where your symptoms are coming from, nothing to do with your WBC

stressedanxious
24-01-16, 11:29
Everyone is telling me the same thing but why do I feel like every single person is wrong and I'm right ?

If it was just anxiety why would I be running a fever of 99 to sometimes 100 almost everyday for a month?

It doesn't make sense . If it was all in my head why would I be cold all day and all night and have the heat on high?

I'm seriously so scared you guys I can't sleep I can't eat in too scared to go to the doctor .

Elen
24-01-16, 11:34
As we discussed last night this thinking is a form of your OCD.

In the past did your worries prove you to be right or were the doctors actually the ones that got it right?

You are in a horrible place right now, and not sleeping, not eating and not drinking enough will also contribute to you feeling physically ill, not to mention the amounts of adrenalin rushing round your system.

I really hope that you start to feel better soon, find something to distract yourself if you can. Absolutely anything that stops you concentrating on how you are feeling.

stressedanxious
24-01-16, 12:47
But I'm scared of the future elen. I'm having so much anxiety about the future I just can't take it. Yes I am in a very bad place right now because I'm having physical symptoms and I'm scared out of my mind.

How can this be in my head? How can the temperature be like that ? Why am I cold? These things are all together. Before I never slept with a huge blanket like this, why do I now? It sucks :(((. I'm so scared , I just am so worried about my health .

---------- Post added at 07:47 ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 ----------

I can't take this:( what if I never feel normal again

KeeKee
24-01-16, 13:49
I know how you feel as I was 100% certain I had Melanoma over Christmas and it was agonising waiting 2 weeks for mg doctors appointment. I couldn't eat, I couldn't concentrate. All I wanted was to know either way (it wasn't, as health anxiety usually works).
The fact is some sites don't even class that as a fever, so who's to say you actually have a fever and it isn't just your normal temperature. What if you've had a cold that keeps recurring? My partner has had a sniffly nose since well before Christmas. It could even be a sinus issue which can take months to clear.
Also I'm not expert but when you have a temperature you generally feel very warm when you have a blanket on, so maybe you are genuinely just cold. What's the weather like where your from? Many minor deficiencies can cause you to feel the cold such as low iron and even a thyroid problem can cause it.
I know your scared but it seems nothing anyone says is making you feel any better. If I was in the same boat I too would be scared but when I've read other people experiences and they've had the same it always makes me feel better.
Is there no number you can call and just say your so anxious you can't focus anymore? On the similar thread section under this post there are 3 threads all saying low white blood cell count. I bet all of them rectified themselves.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

I've just had a look at similar threads for you and not one was serious. One even mentioned a Vitamin B12 deficiency. One said it was due to stress.
Being stressed can cause you to become run down and that can cause you to get more illnesses than you usually do.
Although not the same circumstance I once was 4 days late for my period (I'm like clockwork) and I went to the doctors crying thinking I was infertile and I was told it was stress it can even prevent a period. Stress/anxiety/depression. Etc can wreak havoc on your body. But it's not dangerous.

Fishmanpa
24-01-16, 14:06
As Kee Kee said, nothing you thought was serious turned out to be serious. You've posted yourself the causes were stress related (as per medical professionals) many times. As with many others here, you feel this can't be anxiety. I ask, what is the main theme of the forum you're posting on?

I believe I read you're not on meds now due to nursing your baby but when you were on meds, did you find coping a little easier? Maybe you can speak with your doctor about something that would be safe to use in the mean time?

Based on your post history, you've suffered with anxiety and anxiety related maladies since childhood. Why do you feel that therapy would be ineffective? Maybe there are root causes of your feelings and behaviors that were a result of something that happened long ago that are just continually manifesting themselves. Therapy can help you address this as well as teach you coping skills to help deal with these thoughts and feelings.

Best wishes and as always

Positive thoughts

pulisa
24-01-16, 18:08
I've recently undergone extensive tests as my red and white blood counts were out of the normal ranges and the haematologist had to test for worst possible scenario diseases. Fortunately I'm in the clear for these but he did say that one of the reasons for low white blood counts was stress.

stressedanxious
25-01-16, 13:30
I have a therapist but she Doesn't help only makes things worse and I can't afford another one.

I just woke up feeling very hot and I wanna check my temperature so bad . This sucks I'm scared .

Fishmanpa
25-01-16, 14:58
I have a therapist but she Doesn't help only makes things worse and I can't afford another one.

im seeking therapy .

I don't have much money to go for therapy or something

???? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

pulisa
25-01-16, 16:43
Indeed....

stressedanxious
25-01-16, 20:55
:(. I hate this I just wanna feel normal again .

js1803
25-01-16, 22:26
Everyone is telling me the same thing but why do I feel like every single person is wrong and I'm right ?

If it was just anxiety why would I be running a fever of 99 to sometimes 100 almost everyday for a month?

It doesn't make sense . If it was all in my head why would I be cold all day and all night and have the heat on high?

I'm seriously so scared you guys I can't sleep I can't eat in too scared to go to the doctor .

You don't believe us because of the physical symptoms you're experiencing. Its "what if?", "what about this?" You don't feel right, right? You don't feel 'normal'. When you don't feel normal, something must be wrong, right? But what if it's just anxiety... the root cause of all this, is just anxiety? Look up the symptoms of anxiety.. It's your minding tricking you. What you feel is very real, but its just your mind tricking you that there is danger when there isn't any.

I understand and relate to where you are right now. When you panic like this, your temperature will fluctuate. An official fever is 38.3°C (101°F). Anything below isn't a threat.

I don't think you are going to hear this or believe it because you are too focused on yourself.

Try to put the thermometer away. Believe, I know its hard to do because it was for me back when I was checking my temperature every hour..

Your rise in temperature can be due to a number of things... First is panic. When you're so nervous, your body exerts a lot of energy. This causes the body to rise in temperature.

Try to drink a cold glass of water or two and then check your temperature and see if it goes back down to a normal level?

Alwaysalert
25-01-16, 22:54
When you are under stress your body goes into defbese mode and you start tensing without knowing it (I clench and tense my shoulders etc doing it right now for whatever reason). This along with loss of appetite is why us stressed out people lose weight when being stressed for long periods of time. In fact I've read that it burns as much as 200-300 calories a day! That's like taking a really long walk. I'm working to control my tension and I suggest you check if you are involuntarily tensing as well.

stressedanxious
27-01-16, 14:18
You don't believe us because of the physical symptoms you're experiencing. Its "what if?", "what about this?" You don't feel right, right? You don't feel 'normal'. When you don't feel normal, something must be wrong, right? But what if it's just anxiety... the root cause of all this, is just anxiety? Look up the symptoms of anxiety.. It's your minding tricking you. What you feel is very real, but its just your mind tricking you that there is danger when there isn't any.

I understand and relate to where you are right now. When you panic like this, your temperature will fluctuate. An official fever is 38.3°C (101°F). Anything below isn't a threat.

I don't think you are going to hear this or believe it because you are too focused on yourself.

Try to put the thermometer away. Believe, I know its hard to do because it was for me back when I was checking my temperature every hour..

Your rise in temperature can be due to a number of things... First is panic. When you're so nervous, your body exerts a lot of energy. This causes the body to rise in temperature.

Try to drink a cold glass of water or two and then check your temperature and see if it goes back down to a normal level?

Yes I have a lot of "what ifs" it's so annoying and exhausting . But I don't have much options, but to worry. How can I NOT worry? That seems a little neglecting.

Yesterday I thought I was doing better, I didn't get so cold, but this morning I was cold again. I just wanna feel normal already.

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 ----------

When you are under stress your body goes into defbese mode and you start tensing without knowing it (I clench and tense my shoulders etc doing it right now for whatever reason). This along with loss of appetite is why us stressed out people lose weight when being stressed for long periods of time. In fact I've read that it burns as much as 200-300 calories a day! That's like taking a really long walk. I'm working to control my tension and I suggest you check if you are involuntarily tensing as well.

I wish you were right I wish it was all anxiety, but it's hard for me to believe it. What if this time it isn't anxiety ? 😞

stressedanxious
28-01-16, 09:25
I just woke up feeling hot , I hate this :(

stressedanxious
29-01-16, 07:54
I'm so scared all the time, I'm so worried .