PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going to see GP for anti-anxiety medicine/But do I really need it?????

cjemc
21-01-16, 19:24
I have really bad agoraphobia these days but I still manage to go to work. How can this be? How can I go to work and function fairly normally yet be petrified to go anywhere else that's unrelated to work?

However I still have the chronic gagging/retching but I manage to mask it by consuming packets upon packets of sweets.

Would an anti-anxiety medicine calm me down enough to make a difference and allow me to go far from home like I used to I wonder?

What anti-anxiety drug works like alcohol does I wonder? If I can replace the alcohol with an anxiety drug then I can wean myself off of the alcohol and then reduce the meds accordingly hopefully!!!

Thanks!!!

Fishmanpa
21-01-16, 19:45
Cal,

Based on your history, therapy and/or meds and getting out of the alcohol self medication loop would be beneficial IMO.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
22-01-16, 06:49
Did you make it to the psychiatrist referral? If so, what did they recommend.

Don't worry if you didn't, lots of us know how it's hard going to these appointments so no one will judge you BUT yes, please see your GP and follow things up. You need a proper diagnosis and a treatment, meds will only be part of it as they don't fix anything but can give you some breathing space to work on your issues.

You don't have to live like you are.

Agoraphobia comes in different ways, some can still do certain things, others are housebound.

Shazamataz
22-01-16, 07:01
I'd say go and have a chat. It's great you are managing to work but if you are finding yourself too anxious to do anything else, then life can't be much fun.

Unfortunately, though, a lot of anxiety meds don't do so well with alcohol so that will be something to consider.

All the best