PDA

View Full Version : My Health Anxiety

SarahCap
21-01-16, 19:56
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for an online blog to start writing about my health anxiety to council myself and help others who are suffering with the same condition.
I used to hold a very poor diary when I had "flare ups" this helped me a little bit as when I had entirely convinced myself I was poorly I could flip back to my diary look at my last impending doom and think well hey that ended up being nothing this will too.

I am not a brilliant writer and the issue with health anxiety is your constantly looking for reassurence and you want people to listen to you...not the other way around. Quite often we will troll online looking for symtoms and what they could be related to. We go on these online chats looking for someone to hear our story and tell us we are going to be ok.
Usually we dont find that reassurence and if we do its temporary.

There a different levels of the hypocondria we suffer from. Sometimes our own story can include red zone high levels- totally irassional asssumptions to the low nagging feeling something is wrong in normal day to day activities.
Some of you will read this site and these posts but you wont contribute. Perhaps the posts you read the writers are a red zone in comparison with your stuggle. Perhaps you flit for reassurence online then decide once you have calmed down to brush it all under the carpet and avoid it because looking up health anxiety well it makes you anxious.

I would like to start this by telling my story from the start.

I honestly do not know when it all started not really but I do remember the first time it really started peaking and I was expeirencing panic attacks without even realising what they were.
I think my anxiety started after I had my first daughter in July 2009. I think the love for her started my anxiety. I always remember thinking you never know how much your mother loves you until you have a child, even then I am sure my Mum never loved me as much as I do and did her. A huge hole I didnt know I had was filled and it was bliss.
I was happy so happy, excited by the thought of the future and so proud of my acheievment. I started getting shooting pains from my groin up into my stomach, they were an 7 out of a 10....10 being labour.
What could it be? I am too busy and tired to make the trip to the doctors I was healing poorly and breastfeeding so I popped my symtoms into google something I do weekly to this day and by god do I regret it.
CANCERCANCERCANCERCANCERCANCERCANCER News articles-media campaigns- real life horror stories. Wow.
So I had the physically symtoms of cervical cancer and I was too young for a smear but I hadnt lost any weight or had another symtoms. I went to the doctor who advised it was probaly a viral or bacterial infection. In the UK thats pretty much as far as most doctors go in your 7 minute appointment. You can go in with a cut on your arm and you go away with a canestan duo.
ANYWAY....
I was reassured they always say see your GP I had done just that TICK it is their responsibility to ensure I am healthy and one they take seriously.
But then I read one of my mothers horrendous middle aged womens magazines. Headline " I felt sick occasionally and now I have terminal cervical cancer!" ....you know I have sick like a few times maybe I should read this, subtitled slightly exagdurated " I went to the doctor 78 times and they missed it now Charlene is dead".
Brilliant... maybe my doctor wasnt clued up? I know Ill search all the symtoms online again all of the stories which people with little symtoms and losts of medical imput and all terminal. Then I started feeling dizzy as the days went on, hot flashes, pins and needles, sickness, palpatations, chest pains. I could go on but I forget most details.
I had no idea about anxiety and was sure I was going to die. The doctor visits were frequent the symtoms more apparent and I have never felt so alone and sorry for myself in my life.
I eventuly got diagnosed with health anxiety and genrelised anxiety and just as I did 5 years ago every so often I think I bet I don't and Im just a little bit Pyscic. Well Phsyco would be more fitting.
My common sense and intellect tells me thats all it is an imbalance in my brain that causes my reactions to be out of order but the more sense I start making the more my symtoms mimic the symtoms read out on the radio cancer campaigns.

In the past 6 years I have concentrated on having the below illnesses, I dont mean the idea has gone through my head, I mean I have been obsessed with these illnesses researching, self examining, constant doctor trips, examining and comparing with my friends, teary phone calls to my trusted family having a total breakdown and so on.
Cervical Cancer
Breast Cancer
Lung Cancer
Blood Clot
Serious heart problems
Meningitus
Throat and mouth cancer
Skin Cancer

Its funny how a 20-26 year old womans body can mimic the basic symtoms produced by these terminal conditions. I smoke and I have a strain of HPV not sure which but it showed up on my smear exam. So I will pretty much always has 2 out of the selection of causes/triggers.

One day I may get cancer... the likelyhood is I will. But if I do why can't I beat it? Why don't I deserve to live to a ripe old age. I always think I am going to die and so I should when I smoke. But other people smoke and they are ok so Why do I, why do we think we deserve to die.

I honestly think that is part of health anxiety we all the other people suffering something we wouldnt 50 years ago as we didnt have access to all of this information and statistics we would be in ignorant bliss.
But we have to be honest with all the people we know who have become ill and never recovered surely you know at 80x more people who have been absolutely fine. Why do we think out of the bunch it will be us that pluck the short straw?

Quite often people suffer trauma and thats what brings this on, for me I think it was love and the fear of loosing something so precious. Perhaps I am not alone in that.

I have lost my Mojo and the spirit of what I am writing but I want to build friendships with others on here who are going through a similar thing and perhaps together we can work this out and rely on each other.
I am quite chilled today after a DR trip more medications and counsilling booked in hence this essay. I want to stop avoiding this and tackle it head on.

Does anyone feel the same? - sorry for my spelling I rely on spellchecker which is down!

LilGsMama
22-01-16, 11:34
I hear you! Those magazines and campaigns have a lot to answer for!! I'm currently obsessing over a rare cancer that I'm convinced I have.. I have had bloodwork, CT, MRI etc.. eye tests, cognitive tests, GP checks. All I can think is that I'm bound to be one of the unlucky ones. I'm driving my loved ones insane. I also slid into a depression shortly before my many symptoms started so naturally I'm in overdrive.

HA totally sucks!

miss sparkle
22-01-16, 18:59
I started after the birth of my second child. Like you i think i was like 'ok i have had kids im settled and happy' then you start to think i have two kids relying on me now what if....and it goes on. I have suffered a loss of my dad, a close auntie and a grandma within 4 years of each other. My father in law has also passed away and a close friends dad. Another bloke whoy husband works with had just been diagnosed and hes 33.
I actually feel so physically poorly i cant think of a rational explanation anymore as to why i constantly feel so bad so obviously i have one of these undiagnosed cancers that constantly fill take a break etc like you say.
I am physically and mentally exhausted by it all. But i keep it all to myself as i dont think anyone i know would understand. On the surface im a happy married mum of two. But i actually feel on the edge of tears when im alone.
Ita difficult to know if the mental controls the physical or visa versa xx

SarahCap
23-01-16, 10:38
You both sound like me, yet its so hard in a workplace or group of friends to find other people that are similar.
I am trying to make slow steps to help myself, I am booked in with the doctor every 4 weeks for checkups of my mental health which isnt really needed but I think the support will help. Plus usually a cancer builds up in my head for months I have days where I think I am fine then total meltdowns so hopefully the prebooked appointments will help.
Im also coming off facebook and google! I have had so many panic attacks from google symtoms and those horrible news articles on young women dying.
I feel really guilty but I see justgiving pages with peoples storys and I can't read them! Sometimes the headline alone starts my heart racing and I feel I need to read it to see if I can relate to the illness.
SO no google, no facebook and my citalapram dose has been upped, fingers crossed.

What about you girls any plans or triggers? x

longbourn81
23-01-16, 11:07
I hate those Articles too I always get that thought of 'I could have that' after I have read it. I sometimes get to the point where I can't watch any medical shows In case my anxiety kicks in while watching them.

LilGsMama
23-01-16, 12:24
Exactly those triggers! Also any kind of news programme, advert, campaign, magazine stories. My MiL knows I have horrendous HA but still trots out stories about people dying from cancer constantly. For which she gets the evils from me. My Cipralex has been tripled since last month. The fact that I've had a bad ear for over 5 weeks is also doing my nut! Every Dr who has looked in it has said it's fine! Got ENT in 10 days and am bricking it! xx
:doh:

SarahCap
23-01-16, 15:43
Try not to worry we always end up being referred just to be sure! What will they do just take a look in your ear LittleGsMama?
I don't watch anything where people have died and its a shame because I want to show respect but I end up too ill! x

miss sparkle
23-01-16, 17:15
I am going to try and get a doctors appointment next week and go from there. I havent tried any kind of anti depressent medication yet.so maybe that will help. Although i have heard they bring their own side affects so of course i am wary of taking them too.
I have had a really busy day at work today and have absolutely no energy tonight to do anything. Few glasses of wine and a takeaway when kids in bed...woo hoo lol xx

SarahCap
23-01-16, 17:52
Ha ha well I started medication about 2-3 years ago and I really didn't want to. I didn't want to be hooked or be hazy and dribbling like a mad lady but actually they really helped once they kicked in!
The way the GP explained to me- now I wont be able to transfer his message as fluently but here goes....

When we were cave men years ago and we see something scary our bodies are designed with the flight or fight in order to survive. Which we still use today if we saw a bear in the back garden or an intruder in the house! Symptoms such as sweating dizziness, the urge to scream in fear, all the typical panic attack symptoms. We would then continue to worry after this event for a short period of time until say the police arrived/ we were out of danger.

Anxiety sufferers fight or flight dial is bust so it will go from calm to fight! or fight to flight! etc spontaneously and wont go back down to calm in the usual time scale. Basically it just does what it wants and totally overacts.

Medication can improve your dials capability so it will always be a little dodgy but it will work much more accurately than before.

Worked for me but I do not think it can ever really cure you just take a good bit of the edge off.

x

LilGsMama
23-01-16, 18:05
Try not to worry we always end up being referred just to be sure! What will they do just take a look in your ear LittleGsMama?
I don't watch anything where people have died and its a shame because I want to show respect but I end up too ill! x

Hope they'll be able to do more than my GP! Was originally referred for Sinus and Ears so I'm hoping they'll do the whole camera up the nose thing whilst I'm there :yesyes:

SarahCap
23-01-16, 18:56
what kind of problems is your ear causing you? Im not sure they put the camera up without giving you all the leaflets etc first! But good luck x

LilGsMama
23-01-16, 19:00
Pain, stuffy, tinnitus. I was diagnosed with high frequency hearing loss 9 years ago. Gets a bit itchy as well sometimes!

SarahCap
23-01-16, 20:28
Test

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

That sounds dreadful, I bust my ear drum a few months back and I was a right state! x

LilGsMama
24-01-16, 12:12
Have been wondering about allergies.. have never been tested :unsure:

SarahCap
24-01-16, 12:58
Absolutely could be allergies could even be stress! x

LilGsMama
24-01-16, 13:04
Do you think stress?

Have had sinus probs since I had a URI last April. Haven't felt 100% since. Ear only got bad after a couple of swimming lessons last month. Bizarre eh. :shrug:

SarahCap
24-01-16, 13:32
It could be so many things but I believe stress and anxiety can cause all sorts as its only the rare weeks I am well that the weird pains go away that the doctor could explain x

LilGsMama
24-01-16, 17:32
Do you have a recurring issue or lots of different ones? If you don't mind me asking. MY GP has diagnosed sinusitis for every one of my problems.. tinnitus, ear pain, ear itch, nose itch, mucus.. Acute sinusitis, Chronic sinusitis, Acute-on-Chronic sinusitis.. you name it, it's my bl00dy sinuses according to him! x

SarahCap
24-01-16, 17:57
No I have different illnesses if I am honest. It has moved to and from different parts of my body. I usually obsess from 6-12 months on a particular illness or it switches to a new one if the current one has been tested and given the all clear! lol
I used to get an itchy nose and it would swell and that petrified me! x

LilGsMama
25-01-16, 18:29
I'm stuck in the same zone at the moment.. 2 months and counting :(

SarahCap
25-01-16, 21:52
I had a little freak out, hospital referral letter for my wisdom tooth. She said it wasn't needed but I persuaded her to refer me. Yet the palpitations start when I so much as look at the letter.
I controlled it though breath and rationalise! :) :yesyes:

I may have popped a pill too :noangel:

LilGsMama
25-01-16, 22:04
I hear you! Every time I look at my ENT "choose & book" appointment online (to make sure it hasn't been mysteriously cancelled!) my heart races a bit.

Although I think my GP only referred me to ENT cos I had a mini-meltdown that particular day :unsure:

SarahCap
25-01-16, 22:06
Yeh same here! I do feel like I am handling it well for me. I have stopped smoking today too, I think once I have broken the habit my health anxiety will reduce!
When is your appointment?x

LilGsMama
25-01-16, 22:11
A week tomorrow.. Have been waiting since mid-December, not long but symptoms have evolved since I was referred! Will be bricking it on the day haha.

Good luck with the no-smoking.. you can do it! I remember reading about how your body changes with every day that you don't smoke.. Wish I could remember where I saw it now. :unsure: