PDA

View Full Version : What does a normal person do?

KayeS
21-01-16, 20:52
Somebody who doesn't have health anxiety, what I consider a normal person lol, what do they do when, for example, they find a mole on themselves that looks a bit dodgy? That's recently happened to me (again) and I'm in a worry again as usual... thankfully I have a dermatology appointment booked on Monday already to discuss going on Accutate for acne so I'll get them to have a look at it while I'm there, but it got me wondering, how does someone without HA react when this happens to them? Because surely anyone would worry about that? How do they manage to acknowledge that it might need looking at, but NOT WORRY in the meantime? I just can't even comprehend it.

Fishmanpa
21-01-16, 21:04
As I write this my neck, back and shoulder on my left side is about a 6+ out of 10 in pain. We're talking the kind of pain that makes you want to just lay down and curl into a ball. It's not cancer or anything sinister. It's side effects from treatment. I've taken some ibuprofen and when I get home, I'll take a prescription pain med, put a heating pad on and relax.

For the last three+ months I've had an itch on my upper shoulder, same side. Not only does it itch, it feels like bugs are crawling under my skin. It's maddening! I admit I was a little concerned but I went to the dermatologist and he checked me top to bottom. Healthy... It's more side effects from treatment. Mind you I waited over two months to be seen, wasn't freaking out nor consumed with worry. Like I said, a few moments of "Hmmm... hope this isn't anything serious" but that's about it.

Mostly I react to physical symptoms as a PITA. They suck and I really don't have time for them! I have life to live. How dare they interfere with my life! That's how I approach it. Sometimes they get me a little down but I try to work on things that are positive.

Positive thoughts

KayeS
21-01-16, 21:16
As I write this my neck, back and shoulder on my left side is about a 6+ out of 10 in pain. We're talking the kind of pain that makes you want to just lay down and curl into a ball. It's not cancer or anything sinister. It's side effects from treatment. I've taken some ibuprofen and when I get home, I'll take a prescription pain med, put a heating pad on and relax.

For the last three+ months I've had an itch on my upper shoulder, same side. Not only does it itch, it feels like bugs are crawling under my skin. It's maddening! I admit I was a little concerned but I went to the dermatologist and he checked me top to bottom. Healthy... It's more side effects from treatment. Mind you I waited over two months to be seen, wasn't freaking out nor consumed with worry. Like I said, a few moments of "Hmmm... hope this isn't anything serious" but that's about it.

Mostly I react to physical symptoms as a PITA. They suck and I really don't have time for them! I have life to live. How dare they interfere with my life! That's how I approach it. Sometimes they get me a little down but I try to work on things that are positive.

Positive thoughts

You see, with me, for example this mole I'm currently a little bit concerned with, I will be CONSTANTLY looking at it, trying to seek reassurance in the way of "actually it doesn't look as bad as I thought", but then sometimes, in certain lights, it actually looks WORSE and then I'm back to worrying, so then I have to keep looking at it again in the hope that when I do, it actually doesn't look as bad as I thought (again). It's ridiculous really. It's constant checking to try and reassure myself. And this is ALL DAY. I just can't comprehend how someone can look once, maybe book a GP appointment, and then FORGET about it... I wish I could but I just... it's just beyond me lol.

Gary A
21-01-16, 21:19
Very few people treat potentially dangerous symptoms with a care free attitude. I'd say the vast majority of people have a bit of a freak out upon finding a suspicious mole, lump or whatever. Some can take it a bit more in their stride than others, but I wouldn't class someone who does completely freak out as necessarily a victim of health anxiety.

For me, the big difference between having health anxiety and not having it, is mostly how people act in between having symptoms. Health anxiety sufferers will spend their lives scanning their bodies, people without HA just basically get on with their lives. Also, HA sufferers generally have a tendency to mistrust doctors or feel like they're being palmed off. Someone without HA is far far more likely to be completely satisfied by a doctors diagnosis.

KayeS
21-01-16, 21:32
I think I'm gonna start the Sertraline tomorrow... I'd rather take it in the morning so I can be aware of how it's making me feel.

Fishmanpa
21-01-16, 21:43
Very few people treat potentially dangerous symptoms with a care free attitude.

Well that's true... But even so, when I had my heart attacks, While I knew something bad was up, I fought the urge to run to the hospital right away. I was in some extreme pain. It was when I read on line about the symptoms and checking them off that it said "GET TO A HOSPITAL IMMEDIATELY!" that I sprung into action ~lol~ The 2nd heart attack felt more like gas pain. I actually had some bad pain on a Saturday that was coming and going and it wasn't until the following Monday that the pain came on and stayed. That's when I went to the ER and had the heart 2nd heart attack while in the hospital.

I had the swollen nodes on my neck for months before being diagnosed. Went through two rounds of antibiotics etc. Yeah, I was concerned but I had work, gigs to play, things to do. I didn't have time for no stinkin' cancer.

Then there's the tens of thousands of posts I've read here about moles and nodes and this ache or that pain and with the exception of just three that I know of, nothing was the horrible disease that was feared.

I don't know... maybe I'm just wired differently.

Positive thoughts

Oosh
21-01-16, 21:46
I don't have health anxiety. I don't scan. I have a default that my health is ok. I have confidence in it.

If I found a worrying mark I may look for evidence on the net that it was harmless. I wouldn't be looking for evidence it was dangerous as id probably find what I was searching for and freek out.

I'd want reassurance from a doctor and would 100% believe and WANT to believe if he told me it was fine.

I think it's hard for anyone if you have a health worry. Like Gary says health anxiety sufferers are probably just looking for and finding them more.

Sparkling_Fairy
21-01-16, 21:58
My parents are very easy going about their health.
My mom would probably worry a little more, but my dad doesn't worry enough in my opinion! He won't go to the doctor unless something has been bothering him for months! He's always like: ah, it's probably nothing. It'll go away.
When I was worried about my heart (for no good reason) my mom was like: oh, my hear just skipped a beat. But see, I don't worry about it!

I think people with HA see things that aren't there, and notice every sensation in their body. And people without HA tend to only notice real discomfort things, not small achy things

Leslie735
21-01-16, 22:32
My husband is pretty care free about his health (at least he makes it out that way) if he found something worrisome, he'd go to the doctor and trust what the doctor said and move on. Me, I find something worrisome, I panic, google, google again, google again, check myself over, google, check, google etc. etc. etc. Finally see a doctor, then wonder if they knew what they were talking about because I've read so much on forums and such I feel like I know more and they are just brushing me off. To me that is HA. I honestly don't go looking for symptoms but if one pops up I go off the deep end. :blush:

KayeS
21-01-16, 22:35
There's absolutely nothing I can do regarding the mole I wanna get checked until I see the dermatologist on Monday (although there's no guarantee they will look at it as I'm there for something else), so there is absolutely no reason to worry between now and then as there's nothing else that can be done either way but even if I'm not directly thinking about it, I can still feel that underlying anxiety that kind of seeps into everything I do.

MyNameIsTerry
22-01-16, 05:50
It's probably hard for you to understand how I feel about it. I don't have any HA issues, so my reaction is the same as before I even had anxiety. If I find a lump, bruise, something changes, etc my mind just says "oh well, keep an eye, see your GP if it doesn't go away or hurts or looks infected". Then I go back to doing what I was doing and don't think about it again. It doesn't scare me or give me a fright in the least because I know there loads of possibilities and the most likely ones are always the least problematic. I've had asthma since childhood and that has similar symptoms to anxiety but this has never worried me much and I've worked through it logically, so the opposite of what a HA sufferer would likely feel or do.

I just don't have your particular themes and the Cognitive Distortions that feed them.

So, look at it from my angle by me asking you something. Can you get up in the morning and think "I may go to the gym today, then I'll pop to that place I want to go to". Sounds just like an average normal day to you, doesn't it? Not to me. In my mind, with OCD, I have to do the exact same things every day for the exact same time and at the exact same time and in the same order. Any deviation from that brings me anxiety. Give me an appointment to go to that means I can't do the same thing as I have done for the last several years, the same every day, and it spikes me.

That's part of my OCD, more the obsessional end. It has been a constant fight for several years now and my months can seem like weeks because nothing can change at all. The first couple of years I would do exactly as above unless I had no choice to get to an appointment. Xmas was scary as hell, as were any bank holidays due to the change in routine, and at the very worst point it took me about 6 months to stop being scared of the change from weekday to weekend and vice versa because of the change in routine.

Do that for years and you find you don't really have much of a concept of what a normal human being does every day, why, or how time really works because your day is just a checklist.

I never had this the first time around, it's the current med that caused this in me, but I think when you have been a longer term sufferer, your views of normality differ because of the traps you are falling into so often. In the first few years I had no concept of this different thinking, everything still seemed possible.

So, if you look at how you would feel about what you plan to do tomorrow, can you see how to me that would seem completely alien and I would have to push myself to face a fair bit of it? I'm much better than back then thankfully but still loads to deal with.

My mum and dad are like me over health. My mum spent weeks coughing before she would visit her GP. Visiting the GP is inconvenient and who wants to pay for meds if you can get rid of it naturally? My dad is the same and he had a form of skin cancer on his face (for 2 years!) which he didn't realise as he just thought it was something that wasn't healing and only asked about when he noticed colour change. He didn't think it was cancer but wanted to check it out. The GP even found a lump in his throat which eh just thought was old age, some men's necks do after all go like that in old age, yet the consultant just said it was a cyst and they wouldn't bother with it unless there was any pain. The skin cancer was successfully treated by removal and the cyst is still there years on with no pain.

Masonn
22-01-16, 07:26
My mother who basically has lived bathing in the sun all her life and is 55 at the moment, thinks nothing of the moles on her body. I asked her if she ever went to get a full body exam and she looked at me asking "What for?" i don't even know if she knows what melanoma is, and she has a decent amount of moles. whenever i tell her about my worries getting my moles checked she just laughs it off and says its just a mole

KayeS
22-01-16, 11:29
It's very interesting to hear about different people's ways of living with or without things like this. My family never seem to worry about health even close to the level that I do.

My mum had a terrible illness 20 years ago, and even to this day, I can't comprehend how she dealt with it the way she did. That is a great source of inspiration to me actually, and I know she was to many other people too... That gets me down a LOT because I think about how amazingly she fought her illness, and I feel I'm almost completely letting her down by being the way I am, considering what she had to go through, and still struggles with to this day.

LilGsMama
22-01-16, 11:40
This thread is excellent KayeS, very interesting to hear other experiences.

MyNameIsTerry
22-01-16, 11:48
My dad had depression for 2 years that he was treated for with meds over 40 years ago. He beat it and has never relapsed despite plenty of life's troubles that could have sucked him back into it.

I've had anxiety for 9 years now and I feel that way about letting him down as he pulled himself out of it so why haven't I. I feel I'm letting them down in various ways but I can certainly understand what you mean about that. It should be our motivation but life isn't simple like that.

KayeS
22-01-16, 12:13
I made the decision today that I am going to start taking the Sertraline... I'm extremely nervous, I won't lie, but I've got to start helping myself. I'm gonna wait until I have lunch in an hour or so...

Fishmanpa
22-01-16, 12:54
I made the decision today that I am going to start taking the Sertraline... I'm extremely nervous, I won't lie, but I've got to start helping myself. I'm gonna wait until I have lunch in an hour or so...

I told you my experience with it. The doc had me start at 100mg right off the bat. So I started taking it and went about my day as normal, work etc. I started therapy the same week. I didn't really notice anything but after a few weeks people around me noticed a positive change. The only side effect for me was a dodgy stomach. It was only when I started to wean off the meds that I felt the brain zaps and dizziness that so many speak about but it didn't last that long. It really helped me through a rough time in my life.

I'm happy to hear you're giving it a go. I'm confident you'll do well and get your life back ;)

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
22-01-16, 13:00
Good man. You never know until you try.

There is a long running help thread on the Sert board who will support you too if you need them.

Taking some SSRI's with food can help with the nausea that comes early on which can be because of the Serotonin gut receptors. I find this passed very quickly on both of my meds, just the first two days and very soon after taking the med so it couldn't have been absorbed in that time hence it was my gut receptors.

You will need to be rational about any new symptoms that suddenly appear because it will be the med and they will go once your body has adjusted to them. We can help you with things like this as many of us have been through it and know those first 4-6 weeks can mean new or increased symptoms but after this period they will be gone, if not you may need to switch. Face that if it comes though.

If it's too much, many GP's start people off on half the starting therapeutic dose to ease them through the side effects so don't give up as there are strategies you can try. Kimberley will tell you how she overcame her fear of starting this med by starting on an even lower dose and working upwards. She was very afraid of meds and resisted them for ages and I can't tell you how amazing it is to see someone confront something so strong and beat it!

pulisa
22-01-16, 13:43

I would strongly advise that you start by halving your starting dose just to begin with. With your level of anxiety it may be wise? Just to introduce sertraline slowly for a few days..

This is the right thing for you to do and well done for coming to this decision!

Sunflower2
22-01-16, 14:02
Aww thanks Terry, to this day I don't know where that brave leap of faith came from!!

KayeS
22-01-16, 14:24
Thank you guys. Yeah the GP actually suggested that I chop the tablet in half and just take half a day for the first week or two so that's what I'll do. I really do appreciate all of the support here, it makes such a difference.

Wickers
22-01-16, 14:43
A person with health anxiety cannot deal with a symptom with a sense of reasonability.

Pre treatment I was preoccupied with weight loss and would weigh myself 4 times a day. After treatment for HA I now weigh myself once per month, that being reasonable for anybody who is worried about weight loss.

KeeKee
22-01-16, 15:28
I suppose they just 'get on with it'. A close relative was diagnosed with the big C in December 2014 and you wouldn't even think they worried the majority of the time (they did but could keep it at bay), whereas us with HA would probably be going crazy. I think keeping your kind occupied is a big part if it but if you have no hobbies, friends etc then that's very difficult to do. When I'm worried I'm usually relatively OK when I'm out of the house, but as soon as I get back I worry like mad. Its not plausible to stay away from home all day either, especially as I'm tired all the time anyway, sometimes I just can't wait to get home even if I know worry will entail

KayeS
22-01-16, 17:27
My problem is when I'm really worried, nothing distracts me. And in fact, let's say I've got some DVDs to watch, I won't wanna watch them because I'd rather watch and enjoy them properly when I'm not anxious about something, as opposed to put them on, but my mind just be constantly worrying while watching...

Wickers
22-01-16, 18:04
My problem is when I'm really worried, nothing distracts me. And in fact, let's say I've got some DVDs to watch, I won't wanna watch them because I'd rather watch and enjoy them properly when I'm not anxious about something, as opposed to put them on, but my mind just be constantly worrying while watching...

I know exactly what you mean. Your mind is constantly full of troubling thoughts. If I took my children to the park I would shout at them if they asked for a push on the swings because they were interrupting my chronic medical thoughts.

After having CBT treatment I now enjoy being with my kids and watching a DVD and completely enjoying what ever I am doing.

I suggest you get treatment because you are losing a great deal of enjoyment of living to it.

Fishmanpa
22-01-16, 18:41
I have a question...

I was scared when I had my heart attacks and when I was diagnosed with cancer but it wasn't anything out of control. I dealt with it. And like I said earlier, it was more a PITA/this really sucks kind of thing. Even when I was in severe distress, I was focused on how bad it hurt, not dying. And having actually died when my heart went into AFIB, my thought was "Hmmm... this can't be good" before I blacked out. My next conscious thought was waking up.

Many times you see a thread title or post that talks about being terrified, in tears, going out of my mind, FREAKING OUT, I'M DYING!! etc.

To me that's a reaction you would see in a horror movie. The slasher is coming for you and you're peeing your pants, curled up in a fetal position crying and screaming etc.

Is that really the kind of panic and terror you're feeling due to an irrational thought? Are you really actually reacting this way?

Also... pain. I know what 10 out of 10 pain is. It's literally the kind of pain you would sell your soul to get rid of. I've passed out due to that kind of pain. I can realistically tell you what every number on the pain scale is like. So when I see someone saying it's an 8 or 9 out of ten, it seems exaggerated to me. An 8-9 out of ten, even a 7 would make it nearly impossible to sit and type a post and wait around for replies. For example, today I'm at about a 3. It was worse earlier but I took some pain meds and I'm doing Ok. A couple of days ago I was at an easy 6. It makes it hard to concentrate, you can't get comfortable no matter what you do etc. But I was at work and had to deal with it.

So when you describe your pain, is it really that bad or is it your anxiety causing you to believe it's that bad?

Positive thoughts

KayeS
22-01-16, 19:57
I have a question...

I was scared when I had my heart attacks and when I was diagnosed with cancer but it wasn't anything out of control. I dealt with it. And like I said earlier, it was more a PITA/this really sucks kind of thing. Even when I was in severe distress, I was focused on how bad it hurt, not dying. And having actually died when my heart went into AFIB, my thought was "Hmmm... this can't be good" before I blacked out. My next conscious thought was waking up.

Many times you see a thread title or post that talks about being terrified, in tears, going out of my mind, FREAKING OUT, I'M DYING!! etc.

To me that's a reaction you would see in a horror movie. The slasher is coming for you and you're peeing your pants, curled up in a fetal position crying and screaming etc.

Is that really the kind of panic and terror you're feeling due to an irrational thought? Are you really actually reacting this way?

Also... pain. I know what 10 out of 10 pain is. It's literally the kind of pain you would sell your soul to get rid of. I've passed out due to that kind of pain. I can realistically tell you what every number on the pain scale is like. So when I see someone saying it's an 8 or 9 out of ten, it seems exaggerated to me. An 8-9 out of ten, even a 7 would make it nearly impossible to sit and type a post and wait around for replies. For example, today I'm at about a 3. It was worse earlier but I took some pain meds and I'm doing Ok. A couple of days ago I was at an easy 6. It makes it hard to concentrate, you can't get comfortable no matter what you do etc. But I was at work and had to deal with it.

So when you describe your pain, is it really that bad or is it your anxiety causing you to believe it's that bad?

Positive thoughts

For me personally, the panic/terror varies. Let's use the discovery of a worrying mole as an example. If I were to suddenly see a new one and it looked strange, there is this instant absolute terror. My body goes cold, I feel like I am going to vomit and I will literally shake. It's actually as you described it, as if a killer was coming after me and there was no escape. Then is the feeling of absolute dread. It's like you're in a nightmare. You look again, and yes, it looks as bad as you thought (which is often a distorted thought to begin with). Then comes the URGENT NEED for reassurance. Looking at it in every light source you can find. Asking people to look. Looking at pictures online. And then inevitably visiting a GP. All the while, you feel sick, you know that nothing else will be good until you have that reassurance. You start to catastrophize about worst case scenarios, and before you know it, you're convinced... ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED that it's something bad. It really is horrible...

In regards to the pain aspect, I can't really speak on that as when it comes to pain I'm actually quite good. I can take pain well. It's the NOT KNOWING why the pain is there that is difficult. If I know why, and know it's harmless or nothing serious, I can ignore even quite bad pain.

Fishmanpa
22-01-16, 20:23
For me personally, the panic/terror varies. Let's use the discovery of a worrying mole as an example. If I were to suddenly see a new one and it looked strange, there is this instant absolute terror. My body goes cold, I feel like I am going to vomit and I will literally shake. It's actually as you described it, as if a killer was coming after me and there was no escape. Then is the feeling of absolute dread. It's like you're in a nightmare. You look again, and yes, it looks as bad as you thought (which is often a distorted thought to begin with). Then comes the URGENT NEED for reassurance. Looking at it in every light source you can find. Asking people to look. Looking at pictures online. And then inevitably visiting a GP. All the while, you feel sick, you know that nothing else will be good until you have that reassurance. You start to catastrophize about worst case scenarios, and before you know it, you're convinced... ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED that it's something bad. It really is horrible...

In regards to the pain aspect, I can't really speak on that as when it comes to pain I'm actually quite good. I can take pain well. It's the NOT KNOWING why the pain is there that is difficult. If I know why, and know it's harmless or nothing serious, I can ignore even quite bad pain.

Wow... interesting. Thank you for the insight. I truly can't imagine that feeling.

In March of 2014, I woke up with the left side on my neck totally swollen. I was scared. The recurrence rate of H&N cancer is 50% in the first two years. I was not even a year out. I wrote my team and I had an appointment immediately. Upon examination, I was being sent for a stat CT scan. My docs told me, based on how they deal with things like this... "This is cancer unless we tell you otherwise". I was pretty freaked BUT.... It wasn't even close to what you describe. It was more of "*&^!#... again? I don't want to deal with this! I'm just starting to recover for (*!# sake!"

So for me, it wasn't the adrenaline rush or panic, it was a PITA/this sucks reaction.

It appears that with anxiety sufferers, the reaction button is broken. It goes straight to OMG! Even when the rational part of you is screaming it, your irrational part stomps it to the ground and takes over. Now THAT has to suck big time!

I guess that's where meds and therapy come in.... to help train your mind to react in a more normal way.

Positive thoughts

KayeS
22-01-16, 22:22
Wow... interesting. Thank you for the insight. I truly can't imagine that feeling.

In March of 2014, I woke up with the left side on my neck totally swollen. I was scared. The recurrence rate of H&N cancer is 50% in the first two years. I was not even a year out. I wrote my team and I had an appointment immediately. Upon examination, I was being sent for a stat CT scan. My docs told me, based on how they deal with things like this... "This is cancer unless we tell you otherwise". I was pretty freaked BUT.... It wasn't even close to what you describe. It was more of "*&^!#... again? I don't want to deal with this! I'm just starting to recover for (*!# sake!"

So for me, it wasn't the adrenaline rush or panic, it was a PITA/this sucks reaction.

It appears that with anxiety sufferers, the reaction button is broken. It goes straight to OMG! Even when the rational part of you is screaming it, your irrational part stomps it to the ground and takes over. Now THAT has to suck big time!

I guess that's where meds and therapy come in.... to help train your mind to react in a more normal way.

Positive thoughts

It's basically like the response to anything health related is dialled right up to the fight or flight response. There's no steady and logical thought process. Discovering a new symptom elicits the same response as being in intense and immediate danger. The surge of adrenaline, fear and dread... and the urgent need for some kind of resolution straight away. I can honestly say it's a horrible way to exist and I despise it... Didn't take the Sertraline today in the end as I had a lot of work to finish by the end of the day and I didn't want to risk anything getting in the way of that but this isn't a put off or an excuse to not take it. I'm actually very committed to it now and I will either begin tomorrow, or possibly wait until Monday just to start at the top of the week. But I will be starting it for sure.

Fishmanpa
22-01-16, 22:42
I'm actually very committed to it now and I will either begin tomorrow, or possibly wait until Monday just to start at the top of the week. But I will be starting it for sure.

Dude!.. just go for it for goodness sakes! You truly have nothing to lose... At worse you'll feel the same or a little worse. Every "excuse" you make is just one more stumbling block to recovery.

Positive thoughts

Sunflower2
22-01-16, 22:48
KayeS, do you remember how convinced you were that your back was in complete pain, but as soon as you got the all clear you haven't mentioned it again? I definitely think anxiety magnified reactions and means we react to tiny things in a similar way to someone in a life threatening situations!
I don't have health anxiety, but I bet that you don't sit and inspect cutlery before using it to reassure yourself it won't make you sick! I have the exact same reaction as you to when you have a health anxiety issue, except mine is triggered to situations where I feel like I'm at risk of feeling sick. I'm about to have a bunch of tests done for conditions I hope I don't have, but as my anxiety doesn't focus on it, I will approach it like a non anxious person and deal with the consequences. But, I will probably have an increase in anxiety about feeling sick, if you see what I'm getting at? Anxiety picks your weak spots and for me the key is recognising it is just anxiety again. It's also the hardest thing to do!!

MyNameIsTerry
22-01-16, 22:54
Thank you guys. Yeah the GP actually suggested that I chop the tablet in half and just take half a day for the first week or two so that's what I'll do. I really do appreciate all of the support here, it makes such a difference.

Wow a GP sticking their neck out on the pill splitting issue! They normally say they can't advocate using anything other than the dosages produced by the manufacturers. There are reasons for that but you will be safe splitting Sert providing it's not enteric coated or time release as you can't split any pill like that.

I agree with pulisa, its safer but expect a longer side effects window. Look up your meds half life and multiply it by 5 to get the number of hours for the drug to reach "steady state" in your blood plasma. (That just means as much going as coming out) it's not an indicator of when side effects stop as SSRI's work in two actions and the longer one takes about a month for them (except Fluoxetine due to It's long half life which means a longer period)

If you start straight on a therapeutic dose, full side effects are possible. This may not be an issue in someone without anxiety although some on say they have not not been affected even on that starting dose. So, it's a question of whether you want to be cautious or not.

KayeS
22-01-16, 23:13
Dude!.. just go for it for goodness sakes! You truly have nothing to lose... At worse you'll feel the same or a little worse. Every "excuse" you make is just one more stumbling block to recovery.

Positive thoughts

I know. I will start tomorrow. The genuine reason I didn't today was because I got a load of work dumped on me that HAD to get done, and I just couldn't risk feeling sick etc... As much as I need my anxiety sorted out, I also need to keep my job lol.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

Wow a GP sticking their neck out on the pill splitting issue! They normally say they can't advocate using anything other than the dosages produced by the manufacturers. There are reasons for that but you will be safe splitting Sert providing it's not enteric coated or time release as you can't split any pill like that.

I agree with pulisa, its safer but expect a longer side effects window. Look up your meds half life and multiply it by 5 to get the number of hours for the drug to reach "steady state" in your blood plasma. (That just means as much going as coming out) it's not an indicator of when side effects stop as SSRI's work in two actions and the longer one takes about a month for them (except Fluoxetine due to It's long half life which means a longer period)

If you start straight on a therapeutic dose, full side effects are possible. This may not be an issue in someone without anxiety although some on say they have not not been affected even on that starting dose. So, it's a question of whether you want to be cautious or not.

Yeah this particular GP is actually REALLY nice and sympathetic. She said she even suffers from anxiety herself so it's nice that she can understand to an extent. Funnily enough I'm not as anxious about taking the medication any more... I'm going to start tomorrow for sure.

---------- Post added at 23:13 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

KayeS, do you remember how convinced you were that your back was in complete pain, but as soon as you got the all clear you haven't mentioned it again? I definitely think anxiety magnified reactions and means we react to tiny things in a similar way to someone in a life threatening situations!
I don't have health anxiety, but I bet that you don't sit and inspect cutlery before using it to reassure yourself it won't make you sick! I have the exact same reaction as you to when you have a health anxiety issue, except mine is triggered to situations where I feel like I'm at risk of feeling sick. I'm about to have a bunch of tests done for conditions I hope I don't have, but as my anxiety doesn't focus on it, I will approach it like a non anxious person and deal with the consequences. But, I will probably have an increase in anxiety about feeling sick, if you see what I'm getting at? Anxiety picks your weak spots and for me the key is recognising it is just anxiety again. It's also the hardest thing to do!!

Oh anxiety definitely magnifies any sensation for sure. In regards to the back pain, even after I got the all clear from the MRI, my back was in quite severe pain, in fact it's only been the last few days that it's really begun to significantly improve, it's just that now that I know it's nothing serious, I can actually just ignore the pain and get on with things. But first thing in the morning my back would almost be in complete spasm lol.

KeeKee
23-01-16, 09:04
I can completely understand about the distraction thing. I have a child, a partner and 3 cats and even I can't distract myself when I'm worried. Although if I go into town it does take my mind off it for an hour or two but as soon as I return home it starts again. Even when I'm not anxious I can't concentrate on the TV anymore unless I'm in bed on a night.

pulisa
23-01-16, 09:58
When at it's worse I don't get any relief at all from my anxiety and going anywhere else makes things worse not better.

Start your meds today-no excuses. You know it makes sense to start at the weekend. You'll be monitoring yourself like crazy but at least you'll be at home not at work with its responsibilities.

Marietta08
20-02-16, 18:44
You see, with me, for example this mole I'm currently a little bit concerned with, I will be CONSTANTLY looking at it, trying to seek reassurance in the way of "actually it doesn't look as bad as I thought", but then sometimes, in certain lights, it actually looks WORSE and then I'm back to worrying, so then I have to keep looking at it again in the hope that when I do, it actually doesn't look as bad as I thought (again). It's ridiculous really. It's constant checking to try and reassure myself. And this is ALL DAY. I just can't comprehend how someone can look once, maybe book a GP appointment, and then FORGET about it... I wish I could but I just... it's just beyond me lol.

Oh my God, this is exactly me! :ohmy: I came on here looking for something else but it came up with mole threads. I'm like that with checking moles and also poo colour (another worry). Depending on what light you look at it in, it does look different.

Also about your original question- in a helping health anxiety module I downloaded it suggests waiting 2 weeks for things like pain or colds because many symptoms will disappear after that time. If they persist then go to the doctor. That's just a guideline but I hope it helps a bit. :) Although with moles it's a bit different to pain or colds. It's more like you say, trying to stay calm while acknowledging that there's a possibility something might need looking at or be wrong.

P.S. Forgot to ask, did you get your mole checked? And good luck if you started on the Sertraline. I don't have experience with that, I used to take Prozac but my depression was still bad on it (it helped the OCD though) so I switched to Trazadone hydrochloride. Hope it helps you. :)

I can give you the link to the site where you can download the booklets if you'd like. :) I'm trying one of the exercises today for not checking something as much (reduding checking and reassurance seeking) in relation to my eyes, since I worry about my eyesight too.