PDA

View Full Version : How did people stop/cope with their panic attack?

Em.ma
21-01-16, 21:54
I know nothing is physically wrong with me and it's all down to panic but even accepting this it's still happening.
Every evening after work when I get home I sit down and immediately I have heavy rapid breathing, rapid heart rate etc, I can't keep still, my legs jerk like a wild women every few seconds. I've tried watching tele but this makes it worse, I play games on my iPad but that doesn't work. Knitting works and I can watch tele if I do that at the same time but the second I stop it happens again. Talking to my partner helps.
This only happens at home when trying to relax. I've got my self into such a worry over it that my head is making it happen every time. It's so knackering and I just want to relax

Sparkling_Fairy
21-01-16, 22:03
I watched a video on Youtube and my panic attacks stopped.
I by no means am saying this video will work for everyone. It all depends on what level your anxiety is at. I had daily panic attacks, but I was already at the point where I had accepted it was anxiety and I just needed to change my thought patterns.

It came down to the point where I didn't want to live my life like this any longer. I didn't want to stop enjoying pints out with my mates because I couldn't cope with the pub.
I thought: if I have to go outside 5 times a night, then I'll go outside 5 times a night. But I'm done letting this rule my life!

Then I watched this video of a doctor who explained what anxiety is, and for some reason it helped me. It's information I all knew already, but for some reason this registered with me and I got over it.
I hope it can help someone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_mFzOudxng

GingerFish
24-01-16, 13:00
The biggest thing that helped me get over the worst of my panics and get out of being housebound from them was reading Dr Claire Weekes books and listening to her audio tapes. I didn't think they would help but they really did and tbh, I don't think I would still be here without her work. She put it all in an easy to understand and empathetic way.

TalkTonight
24-01-16, 13:40
Hi Em.ma

A huge moment of progression for me was when I stopped caring so much about other's opinions.

For years I considered making a fool of myself in public the ultimate sin (thanks a lot learned behaviour!). Nowadays, I have 4 or 5 close companions in my life whose opinions matter. And that's it. So if I faint or scream or sprint maniacally around a supermarket, it's of no consequence.

I haven't had a full-blown panic attack since I adopted this attitude.

KeeKee
24-01-16, 14:04
In regards to a proper panic attack I was given Propranolol and never had them since. I'm 21 months med free now too and still haven't had one. I do get a pounding heart and my body tries to throw me into a full blown panic but as I know what it is I won't allow that to happen. I know it sounds strange but I truly think I've prevented a panic attack before it even started by simply not allowing it to occur.

glassgirlw
29-01-16, 23:01
I watched a video on Youtube and my panic attacks stopped.
I by no means am saying this video will work for everyone. It all depends on what level your anxiety is at. I had daily panic attacks, but I was already at the point where I had accepted it was anxiety and I just needed to change my thought patterns.

It came down to the point where I didn't want to live my life like this any longer. I didn't want to stop enjoying pints out with my mates because I couldn't cope with the pub.
I thought: if I have to go outside 5 times a night, then I'll go outside 5 times a night. But I'm done letting this rule my life!

Then I watched this video of a doctor who explained what anxiety is, and for some reason it helped me. It's information I all knew already, but for some reason this registered with me and I got over it.
I hope it can help someone: v=g_mFzOudxng[/url]

I have to say I loved this video. It makes so much sense. Its easy for me to say now when I am not in the throes of an attack....but I will definitely remember this next time I feel anxiety coming on. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Sparkling_Fairy
30-01-16, 00:36
I have to say I loved this video. It makes so much sense. Its easy for me to say now when I am not in the throes of an attack....but I will definitely remember this next time I feel anxiety coming on. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Great to hear that! Every time I feel a panic attack coming on I think about what he said and I immediately feel a sense of calm coming over me. I haven't had one since I watched this.
It's such a simple video. Yet it pieces everything together.
I'm so glad it helped someone else! I hope you can kick this in the butt!