PDA

View Full Version : Tips

Emmakatie1027
22-01-16, 22:10
Any tips on how to gain weight when you have lost weight because of being ill.

Fishmanpa
22-01-16, 22:19
Eat normally as you did prior. Perhaps do a protein shake in addition to your normal diet.

Positive thoughts

TalkTonight
23-01-16, 13:47
Hi Emma

As you're probably aware, weight gain is largely mathematical.

You simply need to consume more calories than you expend. Of course what you eat and how active you are will determine how much weight you gain and, crucially, where you gain it. If you've lost weight through illness I imagine it will have been both fat and muscle. You may need to push some weights around and eat more protein than you ordinarily would to replace the muscle. If you simply eat more but don't exercise your muscles, it's likely that the majority of weight you regain will be fat.

I appreciate that this might be unwelcome news immediately following sickness, but I'm fairly certain the science underpinning it is sound. Good luck.

uru
23-01-16, 17:53
Did you lose weight because of anxiety?

Emmakatie1027
23-01-16, 20:40
Thanks everyone for the advice. I had costochritious for around two months so I was limited to soft foods such as porridge and soup. I found it difficult to eat because of the amount of chest pain that I was having and I lost 2 stone because of it. I became depressed with being ill and work was making it worse as I was stressed and run down.