PDA

View Full Version : Absolute fear of getting the stomach flu

anxious_thoughts
23-01-16, 02:36
Hello everyone,

I recently got a new job in October at a Daycare. For the last three months I have been sick with so many different things. The first month of work I had a bad cold, the second month I got a really bad stomach bug that sent me to the hospital because I fainted from dehydration. Then during the holidays, I had a bad chest infection that wouldn't go away for a month.

I am still in school so during the holidays I worked almost everyday, but now that school is starting I am there two times a week (Thursdays and Fridays). So all this week I Was fine then I went back to work on Thursday, and almost instantly I now have a slight cold. Today I worked all day and I felt nauseous for most of the morning, and I had a slight headache (today and yesterday). I gagged a couple times but nothing comes out, my stomach doesn't feel too bad either and I have an appetite.

I am just really fearing that I'm gonna get the stomach flu again. I am absolutely terrified because of my last experience. I am kind of fed up with the job also, it's not fun being sick all the time. :(

Any advice or thoughts?

Thank you

nirvanainchains
23-01-16, 04:17
Do you have any anxiety issues before experiencimg those sicknesses you have now? Are you a "worrier"? If yes, then it could be anxiety.

anxious_thoughts
23-01-16, 04:34
Hello, Nirvanainchains

Not really :( I actually think I'm getting the stomach flu once again. I have a bit of stomach cramps and feel very nauseous

nirvanainchains
23-01-16, 10:46
Oh? What did the doctor told you? Did they find some worrisome findings? When I was hospitalized last year I was diagnosed with Chronic Gastritis without Dehydration and also Gastro Reflux Disease,and I suffered from Panic Attacks. Then I went for a 2nd opinion from another doctor and he suspected I have IBS, and she did diagnose me with IBS due to abdominal issues.

Leslie735
23-01-16, 14:07
I use to fear getting the stomach bug. Its called emetphobia. It's the fear of vomiting. I still fear it happening when I'm not home though. Unfortunately, working in an environment like that, germs are going to happen. After a while you'll start getting sick less and less. When my kids started school the first 2 years it was constant colds, ear infections, etc.

anxious_thoughts
23-01-16, 16:48
Oh? What did the doctor told you? Did they find some worrisome findings? When I was hospitalized last year I was diagnosed with Chronic Gastritis without Dehydration and also Gastro Reflux Disease,and I suffered from Panic Attacks. Then I went for a 2nd opinion from another doctor and he suspected I have IBS, and she did diagnose me with IBS due to abdominal issues.

Well, I just started feeling like this yesterday and didn't have time to go to the doctors. But the last time I went when I felt like this it was just a stomach bug. I fainted the last time because of dehydration but after about two weeks I was finally better.

With your abdominal issues do you constantly feel stomach cramps and other symptoms? I don't think I have that because it is not something that typically happens. Although, I feel like I get IBS sometimes when I am stressed, however, it doesn't feel like the way I'm feeling now.

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

I use to fear getting the stomach bug. Its called emetphobia. It's the fear of vomiting. I still fear it happening when I'm not home though. Unfortunately, working in an environment like that, germs are going to happen. After a while you'll start getting sick less and less. When my kids started school the first 2 years it was constant colds, ear infections, etc.

Hello Leslie, thanks for the response!
I think my fear is more of feeling the same way I did when I had the stomach bug two months ago. I'm so scared I will faint again. I know our bodies begin to create some sort of immunity towards it. I'm just wondering if that's why I feel nauseous, have a little bit of diarrhea, stomach cramps, but haven't actually vomitted. I'm able to keep crackers and ginger ale down too. I took a gravol last night, which I think helped a lot.

I hope your kids aren't still getting sick. It's definitely not a nice feeling. I try so hard too with hand washing, and as soon as I get home from work I throw my clothes in the hamper and jump straight into the shower because I don't want to risk getting that sick again. Is it even possible to have a stomach flu with slight diarrhea, stomach cramps, and nausea with out vomitting? Prior to feeling this way, yesterday and even the day before I had a bad headache. That was also probably a beforehand symptom.