PDA

View Full Version : St Johns Wort and Sexual disfunction?

Fay_elizabeth
23-01-16, 10:54
Hi All!

I've been taking St Johns Wort for a week now after pretty much trying all the SSRI'S. I found that everything gives me sexual disfunction (cannot orgasm) and I can't bear it. I have moderate depression and anxiety.

I decided to try SJW after my doctor suggested I give it a go having been off citalopram for 2 months now.

I've been feeling absolutely great, but then today I noticed the same old familiar numbness down below.

Has anyone else experienced sexual disfunction with SJW?

uru
23-01-16, 12:49
doesn't depression cause sexual dysfunction?

KeeKee
24-01-16, 14:53
I've never tried St John's Wort, but on the 3 ssris I've tried I experienced complete loss of libido. I lost all sexual sensation in my breasts which hasn't returned.
As for my libido though coming off antidepressants has rectified that and I now have my libido back. I never experienced numbness 'down below' though but we are all different.
I do agree with the above comment in that depression can cause sexual dysfunction but antidepressants are renowned for it and my loss of libido was 100% that as I am now med free but still severely depressed yet I have a libido.

NoPoet
16-03-16, 00:12
Depression may indeed be impacting your sex life but St John's Wort affects your serotonin balance, like SSRI medication, and SSRIs are known for sexual performance issues of many kinds.

Gingko biloba is supposedly good for treating sex-related medication effects.