PDA

View Full Version : Loud TV noise can anyone help?

almamatters
23-01-16, 15:50
I have developed an extreme fear and anxiety of noise, I feel like I am being driven slowly mad to be honest. When my husband is off work he has the TV on all day and it's just too loud, I can't stand it, if I turn it down it causes an argument (yet more noise!!) Can you buy headphones which fit a normal TV? I know it's me with the problem but I need something to help me deal with this. I'm hoping he will use headphones if I can get some. Thanks for reading. Will CBT help me with this problem, does anyone know?

the_anxious_mind
23-01-16, 15:56
CBT would definitely help. I would try talking to him and explaining that it makes you very anxious when there are loud noises. You might also consider wearing light spongy earplugs. That may help too! Those of us with anxiety can often be sensitive to noise and to light... So don't drive yourself mad... Your symptoms/irritations are normal!

almamatters
23-01-16, 16:00
CBT would definitely help. I would try talking to him and explaining that it makes you very anxious when there are loud noises. You might also consider wearing light spongy earplugs. That may help too! Those of us with anxiety can often be sensitive to noise and to light... So don't drive yourself mad... Your symptoms/irritations are normal!

Thanks for your reply, I feel my husband doesn't understand . I try and talk about it but he will not listen, I'm beginning to think he is quite selfish over this situation. I am very sensitive to noise and light so yes it seems it's a common anxiety symptom. I'm getting earplugs but also headphones for him, I feel a compromise is needed.

TalkTonight
23-01-16, 16:16
Hi almamatters

I can relate. I too suffer from sensitivity to noise and light.

Treading extremely carefully here, I'm not sure how healthy it is for an individual to wear earplugs in their own home because another resident won't turn the volume down on the television. Is your husband hard of hearing? I appreciate that you would prefer to avoid confrontation (and thus more stress) but surely there must be a more liveable solution that you having one of your primary senses forcibly dulled on a daily basis.

Sorry if I've overstepped the mark. I hope the situation is resolved very soon.

almamatters
23-01-16, 16:25
Hi almamatters

I can relate. I too suffer from sensitivity to noise and light.

Treading extremely carefully here, I'm not sure how healthy it is for an individual to wear earplugs in their own home because another resident won't turn the volume down on the television. Is your husband hard of hearing? I appreciate that you would prefer to avoid confrontation (and thus more stress) but surely there must be a more liveable solution that you having one of your primary senses forcibly dulled on a daily basis.

Sorry if I've overstepped the mark. I hope the situation is resolved very soon.

Thanks you and no you haven't overstepped the mark at all , my husband is 38 and has excellent hearing to be honest. I do agree that it does seem unfair for either of us to have to resort to ear defenders but my anxiety is spiralling over this. Thank you for replying, I'm sorry that you to suffer with this sensitivity.

MyNameIsTerry
24-01-16, 04:56
Yes, you can get headphones. You could get infra red or radiowave ones that just plug in the back of the telly with an antenna of some kind which then sends the signal onwards. Or you could get wired cheaper versions of these.

Or you could get some Bluetooth ones. However, you then need to get something to send the signal onwards from the TV and for this you need a Transceiver. A Receiver isn't enough because that only receives the signal. A Transceiver will act as either in sending when set to one position (TX on mine) or receiving on the other (RX on mine). They are pretty simple to set up and many will synch to multiple devices. (you have to synch them at first, but it's easy)

If he uses them you won't near earplugs as well as hardly any of the sound will get out from them, they tend to be pretty well sound insulated these days.

Wired are by far the cheapest although you can get much cheaper non branded anything on Ebay if you aren't fussed so the others aren't much either. The transceivers are less plentiful so usually cost the most.

KeeKee
24-01-16, 09:50
I believe this may be a form of Misophonia I believe it means 'hatred of sound' but I've read people saying they got anxious too.
I'm in a very similar position in regards to my partner and noise, it's generally once I've went to bed he goes on his PS4 and likes to get his headset out and talk (at full volume) to his friends who are also on the game. I get really angry and definitely cannot get to sleep when he's talking. We end up massively arguing, he knows I wake up through the night anyway so to keep me awake before I even get to sleep is highly inconsiderate.
I think your husband is out of order to be honest.
Nobody should make anyone else feel uncomfortable in their own household. I absolutely hate loud TV, music etc unless I'm the only person in the room.

CBT may help (they'll do exposure therapy which will get worse to begin with) but why should you? The same was said for me with my partner and his headset why should I have to seek therapy just because he is being selfish? I could understand if it's happening with strangers etc and even if it's controlled noise that worries you. As for your husband you are both living there and are both entitled to a life that is stress free. Do you not watch TV at all? Maybe when it's your turn to choose what's on turn it down and say you can't concentrate when it's too loud.

debs71
24-01-16, 12:32
Hi alma,

I so sympathise with you. I also have a sensitivity to noise. I have it every day, where I cannot stand anything that is too loud on the tv -especially adverts - and I have to turn the volume right down in order to feel more settled and calmer.

It is a strange thing.

When my anxiety is high, I literally can't stand ANY noise, be it the tv, the neighbours next door, who have a habit of shouting up the garden to each other...even my parents chatting. I just need quiet or my head feels so overwhelmed and muddled.

I must agree with the other members. Your hubby really should be assisting you here. I don't think it is much to ask, as you are dealing with a real problem that needs some understanding. You definitely can buy tv headphones. I had a pair of infrared ones in my teenage years (during the Stone Age, lol! :D) when I liked a bit of peace and quiet to watch videos in my room.

I hope this settles for you soon. xxx:hugs:

almamatters
24-01-16, 14:03
Thanks Terry KeeKee and Debs some really helpful advice . You describe the feelings I am having really well, it's a horrible feeling of anxiety which is messing with my head. It also intensifies with what is on the TV , Top Gear is particularly stressful, the car noises, stupid loud banter, shouty adverts in between, I am trying to get him understand but he thinks I'm being a ' misery' . Thanks for all who responded and all the headphone info Terry! I start CBT in a few weeks and I'm hoping they can at least give me some coping techniques. X

TalkTonight
24-01-16, 14:30
Thanks Terry KeeKee and Debs some really helpful advice . You describe the feelings I am having really well, it's a horrible feeling of anxiety which is messing with my head. It also intensifies with what is on the TV , Top Gear is particularly stressful, the car noises, stupid loud banter, shouty adverts in between, I am trying to get him understand but he thinks I'm being a ' misery' . Thanks for all who responded and all the headphone info Terry! I start CBT in a few weeks and I'm hoping they can at least give me some coping techniques. X

I'm not sure Top Gear is particularly easy on the ear irrespective of the volume almamatters, but that's just my humble opinion and I hope I don't offend anyone by expressing it.

almamatters
24-01-16, 15:08
I'm not sure Top Gear is particularly easy on the ear irrespective of the volume almamatters, but that's just my humble opinion and I hope I don't offend anyone by expressing it.

I'm definitely with you on this one!

KeeKee
24-01-16, 15:12
I feel similar with Football noise. I absolutely cannot stand it. And guns and shooting like on my partners videogames grrrr.
Hope you find a solution.

almamatters
24-01-16, 15:21
I feel similar with Football noise. I absolutely cannot stand it. And guns and shooting like on my partners videogames grrrr.
Hope you find a solution.

Thanks KeeKee, football noise, video games are horrible, thinking about it, the calmer type programmes are slightly more bearable. I hope to find a way to cope with this that keeps us both happy, I can't carry on like this , I am starting to dread the weekends and evenings because I know the TV will be on. Thanks All.

TalkTonight
24-01-16, 15:24
Good luck to you almamatters. Is your profile photo Morrissey? Any fan of Morrissey is a friend of mine.

almamatters
24-01-16, 15:27
Yes it's Morrissey, thanks for your input, take care. :)

Chocolateface
24-01-16, 21:24
Hi

Yes I hate loud noises too, be it tv, voices, music games etc, it can even be stuff I like to listen too I just can't stand it loud. I am forever turning the tv down on all games when my boys play, with my husband it is harder as he is deaf in one ear so does struggle to hear. Another thing the really get to me is if we are watching football the way hubby yells 'shoot' to the players hits a pitch in my ears that just winds me up, I don't get it on other words just that one.

You are not alone on this one.

Clare

MyNameIsTerry
25-01-16, 04:47
It can be an irritability thing. When I was going through the rougher stages I found myself intensely annoyed by the sound of people eating with their mouths open. I got to the point of clenching my fists, sometimes making comments, occasionally being a pain and saying something to the person and often trying to cover my ears.

Ever heard the saying "that sound goes right through me"? It literally went straight past my calm self to an annoyed part of my brain!

But it doesn't bother me now. But then neither do bright lights bother me now.

Fight or flight produces more adrenaline and part of the reaction is to heighten the senses. Smells change (you can find things with no smell or that you didn't have a problem with suddenly become an unbearable stink, proven by studies), sounds get louder & sharper (like the contrast has been turned up, like a form of HD), your eyesight sharpens. So, having constantly higher than normal adrenaline means you could have what that brings.

Think of it another way, how many people have GI issues with anxiety? Fight or flight causes the bowels to loosen, can make you vomit to remove food, etc - these are both to prepare the body for fight or flight reactions. I guess we are a bit like the anaconda in that respect :biggrin:

You've probably annoyed a load of Top Gear fans, Talk Tonight...depending on whether they are leaving the BBC for Amazon or not though :winks: But on a serious note, when you are more easily irritable there is a lot of TV that can annoy the hell out of you.

almamatters
25-01-16, 15:29
Thanks Chocolate Face and Terry , it seems it a common problem, my concern is my husbands lack of understanding to this. It makes sense Terry that this is due to my body being constantly tense and noticing something that many people wouldn't. I managed a whole programme last night feeling ok ,but it was a David Attenborough thing and it was calm, no shouting, adverts, or loud music. I just need to try and feel this way about all TV and i hope things improve. Thanks to all your input has been really helpful :)