PDA

View Full Version : is alcohol induced anxiety real?

uru
23-01-16, 21:34
I can only find links on flakey sites.

TalkTonight
23-01-16, 21:59
Hi Urusainaa

I gave up alcohol a while ago for a multitude of reasons, one of which being the anxiety that I suffered throughout the morning after the night before.

Whether those fortunates who are not naturally prone to anxiety experience post-boozing fear and paranoia I couldn't say. But it exacerbated my symptoms considerably.

Of course all that does mean that I no longer have my wine bottle-shaped sedative of an evening. Which I do sometimes miss.

uru
23-01-16, 22:01
And did your anxiety go?

TalkTonight
23-01-16, 22:05
No. But it's more manageable without alcohol. As is my life generally.

dedalus
23-01-16, 22:40
Alcohol induced anxiety (also known as the fear) is very common.

When I used to drink myself (very often to excess) I would have severe anxiety and paranoia that might last for a few days. I would sometimes black out and then I'd be really worried about what I had done or said but had no memory of.

Thank God I don't do that any more :) It's really not worth it.

MyNameIsTerry
24-01-16, 04:47
Are you after a medical disorder or just whether alcohol can cause existing anxiety to increase? If the latter there is plenty on here (but remember that's just Confirmation Bias since the rest of us don't post about how it doesn't spike us :winks:)

I'm thinking you might be asking about a mental health condition caused by substances? If so, I can have a look in the WHO manual which has a full list of the accepted ones. Remember, there are 2 manuals and the US one that the NHS don't use (they use the WHO one) has many differences.