PDA

View Full Version : What to take with venlafaxine?

Tims
24-01-16, 09:40
Hi guys
Been steadily increasing my dose, currently up to 225mg. Although it's helping with the depression and anxiety to an extent, it's not still not quite there and now I feel the need to add something to help/boost things along. I've read people taking various things, just wanted to get some much needed opinions on this from experience.
Thanks so much :)
Tims

chris-x
24-01-16, 11:46
Hi Tims

I had the same problem you describe here. I had no patient waiting anymore till the full effect of the drug set in so I googled and found a safe and efficient combination with mirtazapine. It even has a name: It's called "California rocket fuel" or something like that...hihi....

The mirtazapine calms you down and guarantees you a good sleep. The two drugs don't interact and doctors only prescribe it in severe cases (at least here in Germany...)

Unless you have a weight issue ask your doc about it. (You may experience weight gain which is the most common side-effect of mirtazapine...

Hope I could help a bit

Take care

Chris

nicola1980
24-01-16, 12:46
Hi I take 187.5mg of ven and also 2.5mg of olanzapine, it's actually an anti physcotic but in low doses is used to help anxiety and boost AD's, I find it works really well for me. Who's prescribing your meds? as I know gp's are reluctant to prescribe 2 meds together, I saw a physc who did my prescribing ××

Istherehope?
24-01-16, 20:42
Hi, I'm on Mirtazipine and Ven - started with the Mirt though so a bit different to you....only been on Ven for four weeks and only recently gone up to 150mg so it's still early days for me. Mirt on its own helped me sleep really well but didn't touch the anxiety or depression. Adding Ven has helped a little, so hopefully I will continue to improve.

Hope you find something that helps.

Tims
24-01-16, 22:47
Hi Guys
Thanks for you're replies. Seems like a lot of differing experiences of mirt, although I've heard it's supposed to work well with Ven/Effexor. Nicola, was interested that you're using olanzapine and how it's boosting you're Ven. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for and will mention both meds to my doc when I see him. Got to say though the "anti-psychotic" label kinda freaks me out.
Cheers
Tims

aprilmoon
24-01-16, 22:54
I can vouch for the Ven /Mirt mix.
I've been on them a few months now.I also take Olanzapine at night.
This combo has helped my depression / anxiety a lot.
Don't be afraid of the anti psychotic labe!.Its used in much higher doses to treat that.

Tims
25-01-16, 00:01
Hi aprilmoon
Thank you for that, will definitely mention those two meds to my doc. I know he mentioned seroquel to me a while back but I can't seem to find much info on that on this forum.
Tc
Tims

nicola1980
25-01-16, 11:39
I totally freaked when I was told it was an anti physcotic but in low doses it's very effective at boosting an AD and helping with depression/anxiety ××

Tims
25-01-16, 15:36
Hiya Nicola, I hope you're having a good day:))
Thanks for you're replies on this and the olanzapine thread.
I see that you're 187.5mg of Ven, is the highest you've been,also how long did
It take for you to get to that dose?
Best regards
Tims

nicola1980
25-01-16, 17:40
Hi, yes 187.5mg is the highest I've been, I would've gone to 225mg if necessary but 187.5mg suits me well. I was on 150mg but then after quite a traumatic time last year I was increased to 187.5mg, it wasn't easy going from 150mg to 187.5mg as I got terrible side effects but I'm so glad I stuck it out now. Ven works as an SSRI up to 150mg then anything above it turns into an SRNI so basically hits more transmitters in your brain.

Tims
26-01-16, 07:48
Hi Nicola
Sometimes I think I might have been OK on lower dose had I given it more time, although within the Ven you start to see the effects a lot quicker than other AD's. So are you taking a generic like venlalic or extended release? Sometimes I wonder if there really is a significant difference between brands.
Tc
Tims :)

nicola1980
26-01-16, 09:07
I actually take the genuine Effexor capsule brand as when I first started I was always given different brands but found the actual effexor suited me better with better results.