PDA

View Full Version : Severe D deficiency

uru
24-01-16, 12:03
I just checked my blood tests online and they texted me to say 'make a non urgent appointment'.

I noticed it says my vit D levels are severely deficient. -could this be causing my depression?

KeeKee
24-01-16, 13:36
It most certainly can cause depression.
Hopefully once your levels are back up your mood will lift.
I honestly think everybody who says they feel depressed for the first time or their depression has increased for no apparent reason should be tested for Vitamin D deficiency.

uru
24-01-16, 22:12
I hope it is just that

silver blaze
25-01-16, 11:00
how much Vitamin D should you be taking?

uru
25-01-16, 12:22
I think you're supposed to get it from the sun...but there isn't much of that around.

pulisa
25-01-16, 13:22
Most people in the UK and the Northern Hemisphere are Vitamin D deficient because we don't get enough sun and it's difficult to get enough from food.
Doctors got a bit excited about vit D a while back and screened everyone they could for it but I think the hype has died down a bit now.

Vit D3 is a good supplement to take but I know others on here have far more info on this than me. I'm not sure whether low levels are linked to depression really. Certainly your bones will benefit from vit D

uru
25-01-16, 13:55
I'm not sure whether low levels are linked to depression really.

From what I've read it seems like the depressed people often have low D but that giving them supplements doesn't stop them being depressed.

pulisa
25-01-16, 16:42
It's a bit of a red herring, I think. Having said that, I'm sure red herrings must be rich in something, probably vitamin D?:D