PDA

View Full Version : how can i resist the urge to look up diseases?

24-01-16, 21:31
I've been a hypochondriac from a very young age, about 9 years old. It all started after my class had to see a presentation about hiv/aids...And i was 100% convinced I had it.

Gladly back then I didn't use the internet...Now that I do, my hypochondria has worsened considered I'm always looking up symptoms!! I've read so many articles on diseases and am always looking if they're curable, at what age they start, and how common they are....Honestly I feel like I could become a doctor considering I know a lot about diseases because of hypochondria, lol.

The thing is I can never control my urge to look up these things...I'm always telling myself that I should in order to make sure I don't have it, but it doesn't help....After I do look them up i feel relieved for a while but the urge comes back later.

I don't know how to stop this!

KeeKee
24-01-16, 21:37
I think the only way is to stay away from the Internet altogether. I've massively improved in regards to how often I Google but I can't resist at times especially if I feel like my 'symptom' is minor and therefore Google will reassure me but it doesn't and some rare thing comes up and ruins your life until you can get to the GP to seek reassurance. It's so difficult but is worth it as I'm worried about something at the moment but I haven't really Googled so I'm not in over my head and I havent lost my appetite like I did in December when I'm spent days googling something

Fishmanpa
24-01-16, 22:08
If you can't control it then you need to give up control. Have a friend or relative install parental tools on your browser(s). Block Google and other trigger sites and password protect them. BAM!

Positive thoughts

uru
24-01-16, 22:08
The impulse to search hits your brain...then you go into a search which prompts more searches...all of this then leads to hours online and anxiety.

You need to short circuit the first step. Either unplug or turn off your wifi at times. If this is impossible turn it off in your computer or iPad.

pixiefish
24-01-16, 23:21
Do you practice mindfulness? Learning to notice thoughts but not chase after them is a skill you can learn, over time. 10 minutes guided mindfulness meditation each day can make a big difference eventually if you persevere with it. I use the Headspace app and its really helping me.

Also distraction, when I have a worry going round and around, I try to do something else completely unrelated that my mind can't wander from because it requires concentration. Like colouring, a puzzle or quiz, I like building lego as well. Reading isn't always successful but sometimes reading a short piece of non fiction about something I'm really interested in can work as a distraction, or if I'm really really into a story and my brain is working clearly enough to follow it, maybe listen to music whilst reading. Cleaning my flat whilst listening to a podcast on my headphones. Taking my dog for a walk if it's daytime. Exercise, making a meal, planning my week etc. Just anything that will take up more brain space and shove the worry to one side.

MyNameIsTerry
25-01-16, 05:11
Whilst removing the option to be able to search is helpful in breaking an immediate cycle, it won't solve the problem. You will just keep living with it and just end going back to it as the urges kick in stronger or periods of stress make your anxiety worse.

This is called avoidance. It shouldn't be mistaken for healthy adaptive behaviours. A therapist will often try to remove a triggering thing like this but they will then reintroduce it via exposure because they know you can never recover without this. That's just one way though but installing controls or taking a computer away isn't going to eliminate the anxiety driving it, but it can be helpful to reduce the intensity and maybe you will be able to challenge it more.

It sounds more like OCD to me anyway. There are subforms like HIV/AIDS and the contraction issue but it does overlap into other anxiety disorder in the Somatoform group so it can be difficult to understand which is which.

One way to start it to reduce the compulsion (frequency of things you view or how long for) or just try to stop it all in one go and wait it out to see if the anxiety decreases. The latter can be hard so the former may work if not. There are other ways like introducing a new adaptive behaviour at the point of the compulsion too.

But breaking a compulsion alone doesn't stop an obsession so expect to have to work on that too.

I would suggest entering into some therapy for this so they can help you plan this out and support you though it.

Before Google, we had medical manuals. HA sufferers did that too. It's just much more easily accessible now.

My CBT therapist addressed the amount of times I kept looking at my watch by taming it off and putting it in my pocket under other items to make it hard to access. Did it work? Yes and no. It helped to reduce the compulsions hence the anxiety & frustration also reduced but it didn't stop it completely and other methods were required but then this is a very simple element of my anxiety.