PDA

View Full Version : Crohn's (?) how do you know or would you?

Savvy_Darling
25-01-16, 06:38
I'm worried about having some sort of IBD.. Like Crohn's or Colitis. I'm not sure my symptoms are ones that imply these but someone said something about hair loss and Crohn's and sent me on an irrational panic. I have been having hair thinning but I pegged it on all thw stress and anxiety I've been having the past monthes. But other symptoms (if they even are) are stools that float ( sometimes sink but most days float) they are normal color always and typical shape and size. Another would be I've been gassy , some days more than others. And my tummy talks and makes noises. Maybe occasional slight pains or cramps sometimes often only if I'm really worked up and over analyzing everything. But nothing severe or hurts and I rarely have diarrhea ever. Maybe when my period comes I'm more loose but that's about it. Another thing is I had heard with Crohn's you can have an elevated white blood cell count.. Well my last test in December and was in the normal ranges but on the high end. But with all that said I'm worried I could have it. I am not trying to offend anyone who has it as I don't know if I truly do but if anyone knows about it or has it can tell me if my symptoms sound like it?
I've never been diagnosed with ibs but haven't ever talked about it, I've seen a lot of people with anxiety has some sort of ibs but don't know if I do. :shrug: thanks to anyone who helps me. I'm 21 and I also heard it appears in your younger years.. No family history of it I might add as well.

Shazamataz
25-01-16, 07:35
Hi Savvy,

To be honest it doesn't sound like you have Crohn's. probably just slightly irritable intestines due to anxiety?

I can only speak from my own experience, and everyone is different, but I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2009 when I turned up at the Emergency Department after a month of being in constant pain, not being able to poop and hardly eating, losing 7 kg and ongoing fevers of 39 and above. I was desperately ill and came very close to having parts removed.

If you are worried it wouldn't do any harm to speak to your GP but I'd say you are fine :)

Savvy_Darling
25-01-16, 07:47
Oh shazamataz, I'm glad you ended up okay and no parts removed! hope you're still doing well. Thankyou for your reply though, and I've never experienced anything like that, that sounds very frightening. . These tummy troubles only started with me a few monthes ago and all these monthes I've been stressed off and on and had a few anxiety attacks and panics/ excessive worrying. Thanks for your help again.

Shazamataz
25-01-16, 08:07
No worries, my Crohn's is in remission at the moment. Unfortunately it's anxiety that's doing me in right now!

I genuinely expect you are just having anxiety-related tummy issues, it's a common issue so best not let yourself get too worried about it.

I'm always happy to talk about poop problems though :P

Savvy_Darling
25-01-16, 08:14
Shaz, Anxiety is so horrible and crippling emotionally. It's crazy how our minds work and can cause such fear such very real feeling fear! This whole floating stool is what has me puzzled. It seemed to have started after my anxiety attack that landed me in the ER very seriously thinking I was having a heart attack. That was early last month. I mean some days it's a sinker or even a half and half floater and sinker but more so floaters but look totally normal. I often wonder the weirdest things like if we were like the animals and pooped outside this whole floater and sinker matter wouldn't really matter would it? :p I've been told it's from gas and other things like low fat and healthy but then it can be caused from fat but usually they smell horrible apparently and are bulky (whatever that means) from my google knowledge. But mine seem normal and hardly no smell. I don't know. But this is the most poop talk I've ever had to do in my life.

Shazamataz
25-01-16, 08:20
Hahaha, it's great to talk about poop.

To be honest I don't really know about the floater versus sinker thing and expect it has a lot to do with what you have eaten.

My understanding is that the 'perfect poop' should just come out all in one go and not touch the sides, i.e., you'd barely even have to wipe. But I'm not sure if it should float or sink. probably best you stop googling.

As long as you poop regularly I wouldn't be too worried. I am enjoying the regular/normal pooping these days and it is a cause for celebration! I still have the odd day where things aren't right and I get pain and cramping but this has gone from a daily to perhaps a fortnightly event. Phew!

Savvy_Darling
25-01-16, 08:37
Yeah your probably right shazamataz. If I'm going everyday and it looks normal then why work myself up. I'm going to try and rest this issue. Maybe all this over thinking is causing it who knows. But I'm glad your having pleasant bathroom visits! Indeed something to celebrate. And again thanks for the poop talk! :roflmao:

Shazamataz
25-01-16, 08:39
You are welcome!

one less thing to worry about is a good think for a person with anxiety!

Savvy_Darling
25-01-16, 09:08
one less thing to worry about is a good think for a person with anxiety!

thats for sure !

matrix123
25-01-16, 18:03
It doesn't look like Crohn at all...my cousin had it and she was really sick...losing a lot of blood, very tired, lots of pain, etc. etc.

Crohn is not something mild like what you describe. She had 3-4 surgeries and part of colon removed, but thank God she's doing fine now.