PDA

View Full Version : Visual Problem? Single "spark"?

turboswag
25-01-16, 08:48
Recently I have been on a major anxiety kick -- specifically about health (which is why I'm here!)

Anyway, I have been worrying about my eyes more than usual lately because I need new glasses and I've gotten 2 prescriptions and they've both been filled wrong! I have astigmatism and the lenses I picked are very large so they're having a hard time adjusting the prescription. Anyhow, I know it's the glasses and not my eyes, but still, I worry.

Recently I've been noticing small, PIN POINT spots of light in my vision. I'm afraid of retinal detachment, and even though I'm a teenager, and I know this is very unlikely, I'm worried. I have no idea what "flashing lights" in your vision is supposed to mean. My entire visual field does not flash, and it's not like fireworks or a flash bulb on a camera. Just a small, very specific place or spot. Sometimes the dot is white/bright, other times it is black. It always goes away within a few seconds and there's no pain or vision loss associated with this. It can happen at any time of day, no matter what I'm doing, although I think they may be made worse stress (not sure!). I don't know how to describe them except as a small pin point of light or black, or perhaps a single "spark". I also only seem to get one at a time, though over I may get several sparks within minutes of each other.

I believe I get these in both eyes, however the last one that has happened occurred in my left eye, so I will keep an eye out (no pun intended) for any in the right eye.

I guess I am asking you this; do these points of light or dark seem worrisome to you? Have you ever had them, or to anyone who has experienced retinal detachment, how did your symptoms compare? :ohmy: If it matters, I am only 16.

(I just went to the eye doctor a few weeks ago but I did not bring these up and he did not do a dialated eye exam, as I was told a few years ago that I am not specifically at risk for retinal detachment)