PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum, Out of the Blue Panic?

Sid476
25-01-16, 09:22
​Hello I'm new and wanted to share my experience.
I am 44 and I've always been confident, laid back and a good group of friends. I am quite calm generally and most people comment how easy and down to earth I am.

I have never had a panic attack in my life, or even thought about one, didnt even know what they were!

So I am not sure whether this is indeed a panic attack, or something else?
Late last year, I was out with friends and after a big meal, I came over very light headed, hot, and collapsed/passed out sitting down onto the floor!

The sensation was weird, scary and upsetting to my friends who called and ambulance etc and a lot of fuss was made in a public place (which I hate).

I was fine and just tired after the episode and after heart tests, at the hospital, they concluded that this could have been a huge 'dump' of carbs after a large meal, and it was quite common!

I've had this on my mind as I was embarrassed more than anything! And I went out last weekend for a meal. Felt normal, but had this in the back of my mind hoping I wouldn't cause a scene, wanting the evening to pass quietly.

However as I was eating I found it hard to swallow, but it went down eventually. Then I seemed to choke, panicked and couldn't breathe!
So it made a huge fuss in the restaurant (exactly what i didn't want) !!

After the incident though, even though people stared, I was just back to normal and fine and was carrying on. Even though we left soon after.

After the fuss, and the incident, I now suddenly find myself a little apprehensive in restaurants, social situations as you can expect.

I just get reminded from friends about the incident which re-inforces it.

I am still not sure if this was a panic thing, as I could have easily got something stuck, but it has now made me think.

Even the first time, with good friends in a new environment, even though I wasn't panicking, I did find it unusual that food was hard to swallow sometimes something I have never had before and out of the blue? Was I chewing it properly?

I am the last person to ever think or go through this and would like to know if it would happen again, or how to stop it, as at 44 i've never even thought about this?

I am quite a positive thinker and would be the first person to use affirmations to stop all this (if indeed it was a panic attack), but sometimes your brain and thoughts are stronger.

Any help would be great from a group like this.
Thank you.

Sid476
26-01-16, 16:10
​I probably should mention that crowds, shopping centres, pubs, clubs, etc do not and have never bothered me in the slightest?

Also I play in a band were we get a 1000+ or so people watching with me on stage, and I've never felt calmer!!

Something that surely would be a cause of panic in people.. so i am not sure what I experienced?

Obviously the feeling of choking in public was distressing, and I'm still not sure if i was actually choking or not?

My panic if any comes from possibly the people we were with, as my thoughts race and i think 'will they tell all our friends what happened to me and I will be embarrassed". When I am out with others or just my wife, this never enters my head....?

So apologies for not making much sense here, but I thought I'd share anyway to see if anyone could relate or whether i am just being silly?? :(

LilGsMama
26-01-16, 16:39
I'm not an expert (just a sufferer on anxiety!) but it sounds like you were still anxious after your first episode, which triggered your 2nd! With my anxiety I have all sorts of daft triggers which I never used to have. I now suffer Health Anxiety and my triggers are any tv campaigns, adverts, magazine articles, new stories related to illness. Bit of a bugger as I work in a medical centre! x

Sid476
26-01-16, 17:36
Thank you LittleGsMama..

Yes you maybe right, as its more the 'embarrassment' i think that triggers it.

I have looked online at some videos on how to combat this, before it becomes a 'thing' for me.

It does seem really stupid to me when i think about it.

I just want to quash any thoughts/feelings before it grows, as believe me people would say i'd be the last to suffer with this. And as i mentioned it maybe the particular 'friends' who would speak to the friends of my first episode (nothing to do with panic) that got me into a state.

Different friends who didnt know any of this, would probably not registered with me internally..