PDA

View Full Version : 2 months of chronic anxiety need help!

rdotedawg
25-01-16, 14:32
:) feeling much better

TalkTonight
25-01-16, 14:46
Hi rdotedawg

I quit alcohol a while back following years of self-medication.

The initial weeks were very uncomfortable anxiety-wise and it was in those early moments that I came to understand why the grip of substances is so strong and why so many folk return to their old habits. I can tell you that, for me, time smoothed out my emotions to a large extent, so if you can endure those (gentle euphemism alert) pesky first days and weeks chances are you'll feel much calmer in the long term.

Good luck.

rcs
25-01-16, 18:33
Hi rdotedawg

I had one of my worst times with anxiety and depression 3 years ago around Christmas everything just mounted up on me like you and i went to the doctor to get back on medication (Citalopram) anything to shake the feelings of dread and insomnia. It was a tough time and in some ways i am still recovering.

I had been struggling with alcohol around that period as well self medicating and dreaded going back on citalopram which always seemed to make me worse before feeling better. The GP i saw at the time was not very sympathetic and ignored my concerns and by the New Year i was climbing the walls and couldn't get another appointment until January i was surviving on 2/3 hours sleep a night.

Winter time around Christmas has always been a trigger for me especially all the dark nights , social aspects and working in bad weather outside.
I have never really taken drugs and so i cannot really comment but even smoking cigarettes can increase my anxiety and as for hangovers i think it is common knowledge the effects they have for anxiety and i can suffer for two days especially after a heavy binge.
I think smoking weed will have some similar withdrawal symptoms and may even last for months but i think stopping or cutting down would be the best idea as i did drinking but it is easier said than done. Three years later i have cut down smoking and almost given up drinking and i use exercise , reading and some CBT to get me through low points. CBT counselling can be helpful in the short term and helps you get back to semi normal life and the medications are not for everyone especially with side effects but they can help but you have to be firm with GPs if you are not feeling good on certain ones.

Take Care
RCS