PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive thinking

elik
25-01-16, 15:21
I hold onto all my worst fears and worst case scenario and I ruminate on them and go over and over them until I am horrified and fear ful I feel so hopeless and the way I think is so horrible that I scare myself and question why I'm like this and think even if I stop thinking like this I'll still hate myself and be traumatised by this and know that I have the ability to be like this. I feel I need to erase my entire brain to start again because I don't want to live like this

uru
25-01-16, 15:58
I have EXACTLY the same problem as you. I've been looking into it. Here are a few useful quotes for you:

bsessive Thinking Unhealthy worry is part of a broader problem called obsessive thinking. Obsessive thinking is an inability to gain control over recurrent, distressing thoughts, images. These thoughts and images are embedded in a complex network of feelings, sensations, and at times, behavioral rituals and routines. Brain imaging studies indicate that obsessive thinking is associated with a neurological dysfunction of unknown cause that forces thoughts into repetitive loops. Obsessive thinking is like a hamster wheel in your brain, with a parade of different animals entering and exiting over time.

The Damage Done Obsessive thinking intensifies and prolongs distressing emotions. For example, worry reinforces anxious feelings – you literally scare yourself – which, in turn, only leads to more worry. The process can extend into anxious periods lasting hours, days or weeks, at times “spiraling” into panic attacks and emotional “spikes” of anger, guilt and shame. Obsessive thinking limits effective problem solving, and promotes procrastination, avoidance and withdrawal, only resulting in further problems. Obsessive thinking plays a prominent role mood disorders, including dysthymia, major depression, bipolar disorder, and is the defining symptom of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Panic Disorder, and many other psychological conditions.

‘…the part of the brain responsible for anxiety is not a thinking part, but only understands the experience of danger.’
(Phillipson)

‘Attempts at reassurance inspire the brain to automatically scan for any possible exceptions.’
(Phillipson)

gatsby12
25-01-16, 16:16
I hold onto all my worst fears and worst case scenario and I ruminate on them and go over and over them until I am horrified and fear ful I feel so hopeless and the way I think is so horrible that I scare myself and question why I'm like this and think even if I stop thinking like this I'll still hate myself and be traumatised by this and know that I have the ability to be like this. I feel I need to erase my entire brain to start again because I don't want to live like this

I know what you are feeling, you and I are currently undergoing a thought process called "worsening" which is basically the mind trying to spin the thought and trying to justify the anxiety. I have been trying mindfulness and its worked to the extent where I dont panic constantly anymore.

jadedreams
27-01-16, 19:55
Hi elik, I have major problems with ruminating too, it makes me feel horrible and hopeless and well. I recently started working with my counselor on mindfulness, when I do it it does seem to help. I too have had the thought of wanting to erase my brain, you don't know how many times I have wished I could just erase my memories of the last year and go back to being my normal.