PDA

View Full Version : Just getting worse

K90
26-01-16, 05:43
Hey everyone,
You may remember my previous posts about being convinced that I have narcolepsy. I still have that fear but things are getting worse.
On my second visit with a psychiatrist, he diagnosed me with severe OCD and strongly recommended that I start meds, which I did today. He said he normally sees people in a month, but he wants to see me next week to assess and see whether we up the dose of the meds.
So, now I am convinced that I have bed bugs for no real reason. This has been going on for months but has really ramped up in the past few days. I have been constantly checking my bed and mattress and am terrified that I am going to see one. I saw a black spot on my ceiling tonight and moved chairs and couches so I could get closer to it to see what it was, convinced it was a bug. Not sure what it is but I don't think it is.
Anyway, I'm in a panic and totally distressed. I'm in university and can't even think about my studies because I am totally consumed with this fear. I am wondering if I should see if I can get an appointment this week instead of waiting for next, or if I should write a letter outlining this and get it to him in the next day or so. After my first visit with him, I couldn't say everything that I wanted to say because I was too embarrassed so I did write him a letter and he really appreciated it. I would do it again but I am scared of seeming needy and I don't want that.
Thoughts?

Shazamataz
26-01-16, 06:11
Hi K90,

I'd say as hard as it is, you need to give it a week and see the psychiatrist again once you've had a go at the medication. What have you been prescribed?

Bakebeansrule
26-01-16, 06:13
Hi I don't have any experience but after reading your post I think maybe you should write the letter and see how you feel after that just writing it may make you feel a little better?

MyNameIsTerry
26-01-16, 06:59
I agree with Shaz and Bakedbeansrule. You are in a high anxiety state right now and you are starting meds which can cause new or heightened symptoms including anxiety.

At the worst if you had any, what would be the worst that could happen? So, if the fear irrationally high for the situation? So, perhaps write the letter and read it back and work out what you would say if you were receiving it off one of us, like in a thread. What would you do? Would you say to try to divert your mind or use relaxation techniques, etc.

K90
26-01-16, 07:24
Hi all, thank you so much for all of the responses!
Yes, I think I will write the letter but maybe not deliver it and then I can speak to my psychiatrist about it next week.
Shall- I've been prescribed the generic variety of Prozac. I believe it's Fluoxetine. I just took my first dose yesterday.

MyNameIsTerry
26-01-16, 07:26
Well there is a thread by Geniore on the Meds board where a few people are talking about life with Prozac and Genoire started recently so maybe it's worth a look. The support could be useful to you whilst you get through the side effects window.

K90
26-01-16, 07:27
Terry- Thank you so much for this info! I will go look for that thread right now!