PDA

View Full Version : constant ringing in left ear?

stressed_out
26-01-16, 08:54
could this be anxiety? i'm terrified of having a heart problem. i'm 22 and went to the e.r. twice in the past 2 weeks. both times my tests were fine. 2nd doctor said i had a slight murmur thats harmless and said i could get an ECG if i want but assured me the results would be fine. last night i was trying hard to just accept all my symptoms as anxiety but today i went to the e.r. because my sibling fell down and passed out twice (their eyes rolled back and it was so scary). doctor said they were ok and it was due to not eating but the whole situation has scared me. i had a thought "i should use this opportunity to get tested now before something happens" and ever since then i've been worried thinking about it. read my other posts for a similar story re: the thoughts. i'm scared that all of this is aligning or could it be ocd? i also had thoughts / feeling like "if i wear this shirt it will be fine for the hospital tomorrow" and then that thing happened today. this is scaring me. i just got out of the shower and this made me feel a lot better but when i got out i noticed my ear was ringing and its been like 40 mins only left ear. i searched this forum and found a lot of people sayings it anxiety but never for that long. (it stopped for about 10 minutes in between though). its also started to hurt a little bit. i also read someone say they knew someone who had a heart problem and it started with ringing in the ear. i think it might be gone now but i'm still scared. is this ocd and anxiety or is it intuition? i'm so scared. thanks

i'm also worrying about my sibling in the shower i heard yelling or imagined it (was probably tv) and someone rushing up and down the stairs and my mind dreamt up the worst thing.

Gary A
26-01-16, 10:27
I don't think there's anything physically wrong here, but I think the intrusive thoughts you're having are well worth bringing up to your GP. Ringing in the ear could easily have been caused by water getting into your ear while showering. Ear ringing is a very common thing, it is very rarely a sign of anything serious. I've honestly never heard of heart disease causing the symptom, and I cannot fathom why a heart disorder would cause ringing in the ear.

I think you're clearly suffering from anxiety, but these other thoughts must be reported to your GP. It is nothing to worry about, but maybe referral to a councillor will assist you in dealing with this.

MyNameIsTerry
26-01-16, 10:38
i also had thoughts / feeling like "if i wear this shirt it will be fine for the hospital tomorrow"

That's one I have had in my OCD, Magical Thinking.

However, OCD traits can be seen in many people with anxiety disorders and many people in general. OCD is diagnosed when it interfering with your life.

What other thoughts, urges and behaviours do you have that could suggest OCD?

Intrusive thoughts are certainly OCD but again they are experienced by all people so they can be in any anxiety disorder too. Some become subforms of OCD because they revolve around specific subjects e.g. harm, sexual obsessions, religion, etc.

nursegreenwhippet
26-01-16, 11:54
I have had ringing in my ears and also flute playing in the past when really stressed, I think it's part of anxiety. It can last for days then just disappears. It's very weird.